Why AA employees Loathe Management- forbes article

I find this disgusting:

Are Unions Too Cozy With Management

At least in the case of the flight attendants and the mechanics I have gotten some feedback that many are less than happy about the job that APFA and the TWU are doing representing their interests. Did labor have a strong enough voice at the table? All three unions knew about and approved the $20 million bonus for Tom Horton. All three unions readily agreed to place language in the labor agreements “gagging” employees from complaining about excessive management bonuses. Some are of the opinion that inserting “gag” order language was a quid pro quo for the American Airlines reimbursing APFA $5 million for bankruptcy financial consultants and $2 million to pay investment banking firm Jefferies & Co. American also refunded to the TWU over $2.7 million in bankruptcy related expenses. At least in the case of the TWU, I came into possession of union form LM-2 which is a required annual report to the Department of Labor. Total TWU expenditures were $45.6 million versus $44.8 million in receipts. The point is that $2.7 million is not an insignificant number for the TWU.
Top management at all the unions receives a designation A-5 travel pass. With this perk, APFA president Laura Glading and her family can travel first class anyplace, anytime and have priority that can bump a full fare passenger. Ms. Glading can retire at the end of her term with this benefit intact. Her predecessor, Tommy Hitto-Blake retired with A-5 travel. At the time it was kept secret from union membership. Why keep it hidden if there is nothing underhanded going on.
I also came into possession of a number of TWU form L-10’s which are disclosures of gifts or perks that American Airlines doles out to union officials. I discovered thousands of dollars in free airline travel, meals, and even baseball tickets. Also, top TWU officers are appointed for life and not elected like counterparts at APA and APFA. If an appointment lacks accountability to those to whom you are to represent, then it becomes little more than a sinecure.
Woven all together, a case can be made for an incestuous relationship between union management and executives at American Airlines. Top union officials make $200,000 or $250,000 or more exclusive of perks and benefits worth many thousands more. With these “cushy” jobs does there exist a lack of incentive for these agents of the workers to fight their hardest for them. Judging by the results of the latest rounds of labor negotiations, it is at least a possibility.

Reactions: 1 person
I find this disgusting:
These perks for labor leaders are ridiculous.
They breed the appearance of buying influence.

We would stop this kind of crap if it were here a SWA.
All our AMFA reps retire with the same benefits that any other mechanic gets.
It is unbelievable that this is allowed at AA with the TWU and other unions, unbelievable.

Guess who the appointed leaders are really looking out for?

Reactions: 6 people
These perks for labor leaders are ridiculous.
They breed the appearance of buying influence.

We would stop this kind of crap if it were here a SWA.
All our AMFA reps retire with the same benefits that any other mechanic gets.
It is unbelievable that this is allowed at AA with the TWU and other unions, unbelievable.

Guess who the appointed leaders are really looking out for?
What about the $500,000 that Delle Femme got?

Members never voted on it and its not in AMFA's constitution.

And how about his, this is quite interesting too, collecting dues money from members you dont want in your union:

A union has to believe that there is strength in numbers. I dont believe that AMFA feels that way as far back as i can remember !

"
AMFA’s Record Against Solidarity

written & posted 11/05​

[font=Lucida Grande']A letter from National Director Delle-Femine April 28, 1994[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']“ Our task, our mission is to separate from the cleaners/janitors. That’s our goal, and through your support and help we will win.”[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']April 4, 1994 “The Mechanic” flyer[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']“Mechanics and Inspectors wages historically have been sacrificed by the IAM in order to provide an artificially high scale for the unskilled workers who dominate the catch-all union.”[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']AMFA memo April 7, 1994[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']“The mechanics at UAL are being forced to make concessions for the unskilled class of cleaners and baggage handlers.”[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']* AMFA’s attorney Lee Seham in an August 11, 1994 letter to the National Mediation Board arguing AMFA should not have to represent United Airlines’ Cleaners because,[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']“The professional lives and collective bargaining aspirations of skilled craftsmen cannot be dictated by individuals who preponderantly wipe tray tables, dispose of trash, or clean the exterior of an aircraft with a mop. Forcing this unnatural alliance guarantees instability.[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande'] Thats not a union i want on the property![/font]

Point of order, Chuck.... Richard Finger is a blogger who posts to the Forbes blog community, and not a reporter employed by or paid by Forbes to write on the airline industry.

He's posted several pieces critical of AMR in the past couple months, but doesn't appear to have any connection to the airline industry. The tone of his writing makes me wonder if he's somehow related to an AA employee.

What about the $500,000 that Delle Femme got?

700UW

Hey stock clerk, I see your back slining your typical IAM industrial union bs. Specially after you laid into josh the same way I did with you. Just tell us how much dell got as a salary during his leadership role at AMFA.
That is his retirement.

Just how much does the IAM leadership get every yr? What will they get or do the retired ATD members of the IAM get? Why don't you post that? Oh just how much does the TWU atd members make every yr? What will they get when they retire? Admitt it you just hate the thought of AMFA replacing your almighty IAM, or the TWU.

Again go back to the US board and spread your crap there you ar not Affiliated with the IAM now and are NOT or ever will be a mechanic. Your not in any way or should you have a say as to what happens at AA or during this mereger with AA and USAir since it won't effect you at all.

You and your pal joshie are quite a pair.

Don't go away mad just GO AWAY.....

Point of order, Chuck.... Richard Finger is a blogger who posts to the Forbes blog community, and not a reporter employed by or paid by Forbes to write on the airline industry.

He's posted several pieces critical of AMR in the past couple months, but doesn't appear to have any connection to the airline industry. The tone of his writing makes me wonder if he's somehow related to an AA employee.

point of order noted........but the tone and facts are undisputed so who cares who wrote it. Around here there is no one who disagrees with the article and i mean 100%

How is it slinging if it is the truth?

Nothing in AMFA's constitution about providing a retirement to him, now is there?

The IAM doesnt have an ATD, its called the transportation department and if you want to know what the IAM officers and reps get go to the DOL web page and look up the LM2, its all posted there.

Shall I post Dell's short history as an airline mechanics, for his three years when he left to be a butcher and real estate agent?

Actually, the guy plays fast and loose with facts and shows inattention to detail. Near the top of his piece:

It all began back in 2003 when then CEO Don Carty, after multiple years of billions in losses, used the threat of bankruptcy to wring $1.8 billion in wage and other concessions from the three major constituent unions; the APA (American Pilots Association), the TWU (Transit Workers Union, an AFL-CIO affiliate), and the APFA (Association of Professional Flight Attendants).

The concessions were $1.62 billion from the represented workers. The other $180 million came from management, support staff and agents. Thus, the total of $1.8 billion.

The pilots' union is called the "Allied Pilots Association."

Actually, the guy plays fast and loose with facts and shows inattention to detail. Near the top of his piece:

The concessions were $1.62 billion from the represented workers. The other $180 million came from management, support staff and agents. Thus, the total of $1.8 billion.

The pilots' union is called the "Allied Pilots Association."

although he is a little off with facts, many of us in Aircraft maintenance agree with his views dealing with our class and craft

Reactions: 3 people
Well, you have to understand. Being head cheerleader for the company, FWAAA must find a reason to discredit any article that has anything negative to say about AMR or its management. Otherwise, he may be required to turn in his pom poms and his cute pleated skirt. Ergo, the notation of the gigantic difference between the concessions figures stated and the actual figure. Of course, if someone made some negative statement regarding a .18billion screw up by the company management, FWAAA would call it chump change.

Reactions: 7 people
http://www.forbes.co...the-management/

Is this what you want to be stuck with??????

Sign an AMFA card now and lets have a membership controlled union for a change!!!
Chuck, seriously? This guy is no more credentialed than you or me when it comes to writing for a financial magazine. Most of the comments on the article are about how much customers loathe AA employees. When you fed the guy the info why didn't he put at the end, "Paid For By The AMFA Organizing Committee"?

AMFA is weak. They have been ousted by UAL and smashed at NWA. At AS AMFA was handed their ass right after they got in when the entire overhaul capacity of the company was closed down. AMFA has a losing record everywhere they go. Southwest is not a win. Extending the contract is like saying a soccer team hasn't lost because every game ended in a tie.