Why "Delta Air Lines"

Fly4Free

Veteran
May 31, 2006
Wherever.
Visit site
This just raises some concern. Trashing US Airway's name and trying to make it better at the same time.

Why "Delta Air Lines"?

The choice was made with the same logic that was used to determine US Airways over America West. Back when the US/AWA merger was in the works, the company enlisted the help of a well-known polling firm to conduct a survey with travelers from around the nation.

Several strong themes emerged from this study, including the fact that Southwest Airlines has the strongest airline name brand, followed by American, Delta, and United, and that everyone else lags behind. The US Airways brand was chosen over America West largely because many more consumers recognized it.

Coming in among the top three, the Delta Air Lines brand is clearly a very powerful one on a global basis. That translates to brand equity, meaning Delta is a well-known brand more so than US Airways. To ignore that would be irresponsible to our employees and other stakeholders.

If the merger fails to materialize, US Airways will continue to operate proudly under its name, re-energizing it and earning back customers because yes it's a fitting and well-known name for an airline that spans the nation and far beyond.

that's if this merger fails to materialize. to bad it's not gonna be usairways if it goes through.

If Delta ends up being fragmented and US Airways only ends up with about half of the current Delta maybe the name change will be reconsidered.

Sorry, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I am buying the notion that the "southwest" name is the most recognizable airline name. (And IF- and it is a B-I-G mother F'n IF......it is the case Which trailer park was polled? The Best names in aviation are AA, UA and Delta. Period.

Sorry, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I am buying the notion that the "southwest" name is the most recognizable airline name. (And IF- and it is a B-I-G mother F'n IF......it is the case Which trailer park was polled? The Best names in aviation are AA, UA and Delta. Period.

Depends on who you poll. Poll a town in South America, Southwest is out.

By the way, as far as branding and logo's go worldwide, number 1 is still Coke followed by the defunct Pan Am.

If this merger takes place, Tempe will destroy the brand loyalty associated with the Delta name. It may take them awhile, but they will certainly succeed in changing those statistics.

Let's see UA and DAL bankrupt. Yeah, I guess that would make them the best names in aviation. No doubt.

American? Now that I would buy.

But if you want to speak globally I think you'd have to include Lufthansa. Not too many out there can match their professionalism and attention to detail.

They run that airline the same way they make their cars.

Let's see UA and DAL bankrupt. Yeah, I guess that would make them the best names in aviation. No doubt.

American? Now that I would buy.

But if you want to speak globally I think you'd have to include Lufthansa. Not too many out there can match their professionalism and attention to detail.

They run that airline the same way they make their cars.

The poll has nothing to do with how good the airline is managed. Pan Am's globe is still recognized in many parts of the world-and they've been gone for a few years now. It's just a random poll-it had nothing to do with which airlined was LIKED better, just RECOGNIZED. Alot has to do with perspective. I live in Detroit, so obviously everyone here thinks of NWA when they think of an airline.

I agree with the global name recognition and reach that goes with Lufthansa. But how about Northwest Orient, BOAC, and Pan American (before it was shortened to just Pan Am.) Now those are classy names from the past. Anybody know who has the rights to the Pan Am name and blue meatball? Sure would be nice to see the blue meatball flying again.

Forgot about them....thanks. AH heck, we'll buy them too. Here's a question though: They're using the Pan Am name with the meatball. Would the rights to the Pan American name be different or the same?

I guess it could be either....

They could be licensing the name/logo form whoever owns it or may own it themselves. My guess would be the latter, but that and $5 will get you a Starbucks.

Jim