Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AA overhaul has become the cheapest overhaul in the industry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TIME FOR CHANGE

Veteran
Feb 9, 2003
mia
Simply stated it must be profitable in one way or another for AA to do its own overhaul. Or else they would simply close down shop and contract it out.
What do you think

<_< ---- Whenever you Outsource anything, there is two major things you loose! -----1) You never know what condition whatever you outsource will be in when it is returned!-----2) You can't be sure when that will be! ;)

I have personally witnessed some MRO work from China and El Savlador, its not pretty. Some of it is real friggin' scary. As it is said, you get what you pay for. Now that industry leading concessions have been forced on the mechanics by AA/twu, we have some of the lowest overhaul labor rates.

AA has good quality, fairly fast turn times, cheap twu labor rates. In addition, AA has hardly recalled any mechanics, so AA is running very thin on workers also. With contract time approaching, management will be crying poor mouth again soon, the twu International will do its usual management directed dog and pony show, and the 25 year history of twu concessions will continue as planned. :down: :down:

<_< ----- You know, another thing to think about is the security issue. The feds have gone overboard to see that a passenger doesn't bring something harmful on board, but what about the mechanic? What about the Aircraft itself? Who knows who's worked on those flight controls? Or may have put a package in some small Cobby hole somewhere? When I went to A&P School, they were teaching mechanics from Iran, Saudi Arabia! Where are they working today? Are these Aircraft that have been overhauled overseas really safe???? The FAA has admitted it doesn't have enough inspectors to properly keep track of all work done outside the country!---- ;) Something to think about next time you, or your family, flys someone other than aa!

<_< ----- You know, another thing to think about is the security issue. The feds have gone overboard to see that a passenger doesn't bring something harmful on board, but what about the mechanic? What about the Aircraft itself? Who knows who's worked on those flight controls? Or may have put a package in some small Cobby hole somewhere? When I went to A&P School, they were teaching mechanics from Iran, Saudi Arabia! Where are they working today? Are these Aircraft that have been overhauled overseas really safe???? The FAA has admitted it doesn't have enough inspectors to properly keep track of all work done outside the country!---- ;) Something to think about next time you, or your family, flys someone other than aa!

MCI, if you go to WWW.AMTAUSA.COM you will see a link about FAR Part 145. I have written letters, as well as have others write letters, to our elected officials in Washington.
I tell EVERYONE I meet when the subject of air travel comes up and I inform them about overhaul facilities in China, Singapore, South America, etc. that have different standards.

MCI, if you go to WWW.AMTAUSA.COM you will see a link about FAR Part 145. I have written letters, as well as have others write letters, to our elected officials in Washington.
I tell EVERYONE I meet when the subject of air travel comes up and I inform them about overhaul facilities in China, Singapore, South America, etc. that have different standards.
<_< ---- Thanks for the tip Ken! This is one area I feel we all should do something about!!!!

Simply stated it must be profitable in one way or another for AA to do its own overhaul. Or else they would simply close down shop and contract it out.
What do you think

Maybe it's not currently profitable (or as lucrative as outsourcing to some third world hackshop), but maybe someone at AA cares and is trying to make it profitable. Possible?

Now that industry leading concessions have been forced on the mechanics by AA/twu, we have some of the lowest overhaul labor rates.

If AA really had some of the lowest overhaul labor rates, wonder why the other legacies (that don't do their own overhaul) send their aiplanes halfway 'round the world for heavy airframe maintenance instead of hiring AA?

What do you think
When you do it in house:
1. You control the quality
2. You pretty much control the time factor, baring exceptions like heavy corrosion.
3. Your employees have ownership in the finished product
4. Employee pride in a job well done
5 You see instant results and correct deficiencies when they happen or before the next check.

When you outsource it is a CRAP shoot. Never know which dice will roll what number.

I'm not sure why two people voted for AA having the cheapest overhaul in the industry when that's not the case.

<_< ---- Thanks for the tip Ken! This is one area I feel we all should do something about!!!!

MCI, several years ago I flew to Washington for a breakfast that Diane Feinstein had for some of her constituents. My flight was late and I arrived towards the end of the "meeting". I was not there long before I was able to stand and ask a question. The question was directed right to her and I said, "How do you feel about U.S. registered aircraft being sent to countries like China & Singapore to be overhauled? The questions of security and quality should be of concern."

Well, ALL eyes were looking at me as I asked this question with many heads shaking approval as to the impotance of my question. These same eyes then turned towards the Senator and she simply replied that this matter is important to her and that I should get with her aide and give him any information I had.

I already had an appointment with her aide set up to talk about this issue. I am afraid to say that with the mentality of airlines to send their aircraft to these facilities, all to save a buck, it will take more than people like ourselves to change this problem. I hate to think of the result of what we say will come to pass.