Why revote? The choices are still the same

IFLYAA

Apr 22, 2003
Why would the APFA and TWU want to revote? What would be gained by going through all of it again? Revoting won''t instill trust between unions and management. There isn''t trust, has never been trust and until people are ready to discuss issues without emotionalism or feeling but purely on the business objectives there will never be trust. While Carty and his executive team should have held the union''s hands and those of their accounting firms in pointing out the SERP and retention bonuses, that didn''t happen. Get over it. They gave up the retention bonuses. What more would you want? Their complete resignations? Then who runs the airline? The dedicated employees?

The choices that were voted on last week remain the same. Either take the best that has been negotiated in the TA''s or risk EVERYTHING in bankruptcy. And as has already been pointed out in earlier discussions, BK Judges are not friends of labor. Ask the unions at UA and USAir. Their employees would all have been better off agreeing to the concessions rather than avoiding the truth. A disparate set of circumstances got us all where we are today. Not one single act or one single individual created this mess and it is going to take everyone working together to get out of it! And you say you want Bob Crandall back? Only a few short years ago you couldn''t wait for him to leave and worked diligently (and unsuccessfully) at times for his removal. Now he was the best thing since sliced bread? Fickle, fickle, fickle. Forgive Carty for his misstep and move forward.

And the reason that Southwest Airline''s is not down in the trenches with the majors is not because their unions and their management have trust but because they at least agree to work together to solve the problems. Galley Gossip from the APFA members is woefully inaccurate as a source of information and unfortunately while they may want to preserve their professionlism all they will end up doing is taking down the airline. And quite honestly I am glad I am not an APFA member if they do revote and overturn last week''s outcome and by doing so jeopardize the pilot''s pensions!

I''ll keep flying AA for as long as AA flies but my level of respect for the union employees has dropped to an all time low. I don''t think I have ever read or heard so much whining and finger pointing from so called professionals as what has occured in the last 10 days. Either you want to be part of AA''s reconstruction and move forward or you don''t. And if you don''t why don''t you just quietly step aside and quit? As a top tier AADVANTAGE member we are tired of hearing your spin. We at least want to see AA keep flying.

A few things to consider. One AA was not up front will all the information. The open books had some hidden chapters.

The choices do remain the same. There is something sad about that. As I have said before, the unions all came forward willing and ready to make this process work. There was never a negotiations. It turned in to a take it or leave it proposition. The union leaderships have an obligation to bring to the membership the right to accept or refuse and changes to the CBA.

The APFA voted and on the 16th gave American a No vote.

I wish it was so easy as if you dont like it quit. Its not. I say if you done like it change it. That is exactly what I intend to do.

SWA is doing great, but alot of there sucsess is also due to there incredible ability to manage their assests to the highest degree. AA has done a poor job in utilizing its a/c and people.

If one really wanted to know more about the TWU re-vote and why.

They would search the Southern District of New York and look deeply at this case:

CIVIL CASE NO. 03 CV 2578

That is all I will say about that for now. Do some research and you will find some answers to the re-vote by the TWU.

To IFlyAA....very well said ....gold stars to you...too bad the unions are not as smart as you are...

On 4/22/2003 6:20:14 PM FA Mikey wrote:

A few things to consider. One AA was not up front will all the information. The open books had some hidden chapters.
The choices do remain the same. There is something sad about that. As I have said before, the unions all came forward willing and ready to make this process work. There was never a negotiations. It turned in to a take it or leave it proposition. The union leaderships have an obligation to bring to the membership the right to accept or refuse and changes to the CBA.

If all the unions came forward on their own accord...then why did the flt. attd. get and extra day to re-vote and change their mind...get real the unions never have done anything with a postive attitude that would affect the company in a positive fashion. You pretty much stated it correctly when you said "It turned into a take or leave proposition"...that is what bankrupcty is all about...there is not a way around that fact...there''s no gray area there you either work with the company to cut back and try to save it from bankruptcy or you don''t work with the company and file for bankruptcy...With all the union talk going on in this forum it''s pretty clear that union members would rather bite the hand that feeds them then think smart and save some of what they have and plan for a brighter tomorrow...

----------------
On 4/22/2003 5:57:05 PM IFLYAA wrote:

Why would the APFA and TWU want to revote? What would be gained by going through all of it again? Revoting won''t instill trust between unions and management. There isn''t trust, has never been trust and until people are ready to discuss issues without emotionalism or feeling but purely on the business objectives there will never be trust. While Carty and his executive team should have held the union''s hands and those of their accounting firms in pointing out the SERP and retention bonuses, that didn''t happen. Get over it. They gave up the retention bonuses. What more would you want? Their complete resignations? Then who runs the airline? The dedicated employees?

The choices that were voted on last week remain the same. Either take the best that has been negotiated in the TA''s or risk EVERYTHING in bankruptcy. And as has already been pointed out in earlier discussions, BK Judges are not friends of labor. Ask the unions at UA and USAir. Their employees would all have been better off agreeing to the concessions rather than avoiding the truth. A disparate set of circumstances got us all where we are today. Not one single act or one single individual created this mess and it is going to take everyone working together to get out of it! And you say you want Bob Crandall back? Only a few short years ago you couldn''t wait for him to leave and worked diligently (and unsuccessfully) at times for his removal. Now he was the best thing since sliced bread? Fickle, fickle, fickle. Forgive Carty for his misstep and move forward.

And the reason that Southwest Airline''s is not down in the trenches with the majors is not because their unions and their management have trust but because they at least agree to work together to solve the problems. Galley Gossip from the APFA members is woefully inaccurate as a source of information and unfortunately while they may want to preserve their professionlism all they will end up doing is taking down the airline. And quite honestly I am glad I am not an APFA member if they do revote and overturn last week''s outcome and by doing so jeopardize the pilot''s pensions!

I''ll keep flying AA for as long as AA flies but my level of respect for the union employees has dropped to an all time low. I don''t think I have ever read or heard so much whining and finger pointing from so called professionals as what has occured in the last 10 days. Either you want to be part of AA''s reconstruction and move forward or you don''t. And if you don''t why don''t you just quietly step aside and quit? As a top tier AADVANTAGE member we are tired of hearing your spin. We at least want to see AA keep flying.

----------------​
GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, USAIRWAYS EMPLOYEES ALL VOTED CONCESSIONS BEING TOLD THEY WOULD BE BETTER THAN B/K. THEY FILED ANYWAY AFTER WE TOOK THE CUTS.THEN THE CO. CAME BACK LESS THAN 6 MONTHS LATER FOR MORE GIVEBACKS...ONCE AGAIN, STATE THE FACTS.

----------------
On 4/22/2003 11:23:29 PM AAproud wrote:

With all the union talk going on in this forum it''s pretty clear that union members would rather bite the hand that feeds them.

----------------​
I think you mean the the hand that slaps them. And I wonder why?

FA MIKEY

I think AA has done a terrible job with its assets. Its assets, I mean are it's over paid waitresses and overpaid glorified bus drivers. Should have never let the wages get out of hand.

I think this was the perfect opportunity for the Unions to back out of the deal, the job of the Unions is to protect its workers and have as many members as possible. The Union boards knew that they had to reduce their memberships no matter what and didn't want to take the blame, so this is there excuss to get out of the heat.

I will agree on one thing and I told Mr. Cordes this yesterday, that I agree that Upper managment needs some sort of retention benefits to keep them around, but the way the whole thing played out was crooked.

----------------
On 4/22/2003 11:38:42 PM stewbear wrote:

IFLYAA....MAYBE THOSE FREE TRIPS ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM...

----------------​

Do you mean frequent flyers don''t get enough free tickets? After all, Southwest gives away free tickets a lot more readily than does AA.

Some people are more hatefull than others and some people truly hate management (even the management they haent met) I am one of those people that has to take a step back and say not all flight attendants are whiny useless annoying drama queens. Alot of them are professional courteaus human beings that deserve as much respect as the rest of us...But on my last 5 or six non rev trips I have seen more attitude from flight attendants than professionalism.. and that is a shame. How many times APFAH8TR have you asked or seen someone ask for another drink or a pillow or blanket and see a Flight Attendant roll their eyes in disgust. Way too many for me.

Unfortunatley the public remembers the bad things more than they do the good. It takes ten good things to leave the same lasting impression that 1 bad one leaves

A77igw

Many friends (AA FA''s) think it is the best job out there and I agree. I has to be the most flexible job anyone could possibly have (minus reserve assignment). I just can''t believe you don''t do it for the money. Because I know a lot of my friends can really bring in the bucks $5000-7000/month, that is unheard of. I wish I could bring home that much money in a month.

I like that, I agree it takes at least 10 good things, but only one bad situation and they are gone to another airline. There has been many situations lately that I have bought tickets, and have been treated like garbage. Rolling eyes, snyde comments, ignoring of passengers, trash talk in front of passengers, just to name a few that I have seen in the past three month traveling around.