Why should I remain loyal?

US1YFARE

Veteran
Mar 31, 2004
Tempe has recently made a decision, a very bad decision in my opinion, that has affected a relatively small, but significant, portion of US's customer base. The changes relate to the DM program and how US1's achieve US1 status. This includes the number of segments now needed to achieve US1 status and the "rollover" program.

The "rollover" program allowed a US1 to rollover "tier" miles to the following year after they reach the 100K tier mile mark. This benefit gave incentive to a US1 to remain loyal to the airline and cost the airline nothing. For example, if a US1 reaches the 100K tier mile mark in July, he/she would be guaranteed US1 status for the following year, but without rollover, there is no incentive to keep giving business to US. With rollover, the US1 can continue to accumulate tier miles that will be rolled over and banked for the following year. Without rollover, the US1 can then start sending business to another airline and earn status on that airline. Other airlines do offer incentives for their top tier customers to continue giving them business after they reach the top status level.

This year, I made a choice to remain loyal to US after I reached the 100K mark. But, just last week, US announced that the rollover program was being discontinued. I immediately canceled my flight and booked on United. I was booked in FC on US and instead booked me and my traveling companion in FC on UA. US lost revenue of more than $2200 and UA gained that revenue. It is very unfortunate for US.

What is really unfortunate for US is that after flying UA in FC, my travel companion said to me over and over--can you tell me why you fly US? FC was phenomenol--I really mean that--it was a totally different world than what is experienced on US. At one point, I was in the last row of a 757 (which has 6 rows of FC) and the FA asked me for my meal selection before others in FC. I asked her why and she said, you are a US1 on US and we want your business. UA's FC product is truly first class. The service. The food. The linens. The hot towels. The glassware. The green limes. The bread basket. The warm nuts in ramekins. The clean airplanes. The comfortable seats with nice headrests. On one of my 2 hour flights, we had full lunch service! I thought there was a mistake.

I am now asking the same question that my travel companion is still asking me--why should I fly US? The same fare for a lower level of service. I don't buy $98 tickets--I buy expensive tickets. I guess US wants the WN customer base and UA wants the biz customers--it's an easy decision I guess.

What if the economics are such that you are not a good customer? I mean for you it may make sense to move to another airline but for the company it may also make sense to let you go! Ever though of it that way?

I have been confused by the roll over plan. Like you I fly on expensive tickets. I am also Pltm on NW, Gold on DL and Silver on AA besides being CP on US. I just don't know if it builds loyalty, or encourages people like me to go to other airlines. Since I am retiring soon, I could have given US more business next year, and kept CP for the first of my retirement. A plus.

I agree with you about UA having a better product in First. But I had the opposite experience about being a US1. My meal selection was taken second, and the FA took orders from the others in 1st. a 737 with eight seats. Then the FA came back to me and said she could not offer me my first selection since UA customers wanted them and a was a US customer, not UA. But the warm nuts were nice, and to bad it wasn't an airbus with a movie from MHT to ORD.

Long and short of it, I never thought the roll-over encouraged loyalty, I thought it discouraged it for high milage fliers. I would like to see a fare bonus like DL & NW has on reaching status.

What if the economics are such that you are not a good customer? I mean for you it may make sense to move to another airline but for the company it may also make sense to let you go! Ever though of it that way?

Guess you didn't read my post--they lost over $2200 for two domestic tickets. Most of my fares are Y, B, H, or A. Pax who book those fare codes are not the ones they are looking to lose. Like I said, maybe they are looking for the WN customer paying $98 a ticket. Another thing that the airline forgets is that I often travel with companions--they fly US because of me and my status. If it were up to them, they would book the cheapest ticket. So, many times when I fly, it is the fare x 2.

US does have fare bonus--A and F gets 200% tier mile bonus. Y and B get 150% tier mile bonus. Not sure what you mean since that has been the rule all year this year.

How could rollover discourage loyalty. If there is no rollover, as soon as I hit CP level, I jump ship to earn status on another airline. With rollover, I still give my business to US and maintain CP status on just one airline--US.

OH LORD!? Another whining ELITE!! Get over it. Use the airline that best suites your particular travel needs. If thats US only then quit complaining. Send an email to Doug and complain to him. I'm sure the regular employees don't care that you're not going to be a CP for another year.

US1YFARE

Since I had 20 segments from 2004 that rolled over to 2005 I made Chairmans 20% sooner.

This is why I think the royalty discourages loyalty,

Since US does not go to all places I need to go I use other carries such as NW to get to DLH for example. If I already made chairmans this year (20% earlier) I could give NW more business on routes that US and NW compete upon MHT-MSP for example. But if I did not have the roll over, I might take the US on that flight since more of my travel is on the east coast.

Like You I travel on Y, A, fares. And BTW I should end up the year with approx 125 segments on US.

BTW what fare did your purchase on UA to get the upgrade. I was very surprised that UA upgraded me. I was going to MSN, and was going to change to NW for that flight, but the upgrade made me stay with UA, since their first product is better thank both US and NW.

Trvl64,

I am not whining I have already made CP for next year. And I will make it the year after as well.

I was just stating that I found the change of policy is good for the airline, and I agree with it.

I complaint I have is the $100.00 change fee for a unrefundable ticket within 24 hours of purchase. Most other airlines offer a 24 hour grace period, but as of sept 1st US no longer offers that benefit.

My company, by mistake booked me to the wrong destination, and I changed it within 2 hours to a different location and booked as a Y fare. To me the real fault here is the airline selling a refundable ticket less than 2 hours before flight time. If I took that flight, they would have lost revenue.

Most of us want reasonable fares all of the time, we want US to make money. But other airlines want our business as well, and we will look for the best deal for us the flyer. Over all US treats me very well, and that is why I stay.

I am glad I did not jump ship to DL two years ago when they were courting my business durrin BL#1. Out of MHT they have replaced Mainline with RJs. I complained to them, and they basically told me to fly outr of BOS. But with US replacing the 5PM PHL - MHT flight with an RJ who knows what the future will Bring.

us1yfare said he cancelled his usairways trip to fly united .
i was under the impression that you gain status whether you fly united or usairways since united and us is star alliance

Single,

Read US1YFARES post again. I never said you were whining. He's whining because there is no more rollover for CP's after this year. He's whining to the employees about this and not the person he should be....Doug Parker.

Do you think the employees care that he won't be a CP? NO! Take the complaint to the where it belongs.

Rollover was a benefit for you and I and him that is now gone. Get over it. If he doesn't like it then he should take his business to another airline. But he won't. He'll complain and remain on US and fly UA posting his miles to US. So it's a win/win for him. Unless he wants to start all over at the bottom of the elite list. But something tells me he won't. He likes sitting in FC too much just like every other CP.

Some of you are being a bit harsh. Even though US is now LCC it does not mean you abandon a core customer base. I would rather have loyal customers like US1YFARE than those that care about $79 airfares to Florida and don't care what airline they fly on.

Some of you are being a bit harsh. Even though US is now LCC it does not mean you abandon a core customer base. I would rather have loyal customers like US1YFARE than those that care about $79 airfares to Florida and don't care what airline they fly on.

I agree 100%. US1YFare is a loyal customer and for anyone to dismiss him like some of what I have read here is just plain cold. :cold:

What makes ME mad is that we have cut and cut and cut and cut. Did I say cut? We are not a low cost carrier. We are a cheap ass, cheesy carrier. There is nothing in coach where the fares are low, yet we give NO value to the top end flyer. We are NOT...I just believe that.. THAT bad off as to not offer an adequate...NO...superior service in first class. If we are not going to do First Class the right way, then pull it out or remarket it as coach plus or something like that...but to call it first class is a joke.

We call ourself LCC, yet we are still raping the most loyal and highest end customer.

I have a HARD time believing UAL has anymore money to provide a wonderful first class than US and they are STILL in ch 11, yet we are sending them right to the competition.

Great move. To answer your question, you shouldn't be loyal. I Appreciate your business and want you to stay, but it's about value. Sadly, we offer NO such thing. <_<

Single,

Read US1YFARES post again. I never said you were whining. He's whining because there is no more rollover for CP's after this year. He's whining to the employees about this and not the person he should be....Doug Parker.

Do you think the employees care that he won't be a CP? NO! Take the complaint to the where it belongs.

Rollover was a benefit for you and I and him that is now gone. Get over it. If he doesn't like it then he should take his business to another airline. But he won't. He'll complain and remain on US and fly UA posting his miles to US. So it's a win/win for him. Unless he wants to start all over at the bottom of the elite list. But something tells me he won't. He likes sitting in FC too much just like every other CP.

This is not THAT kind of ff. He and many ff's who post here have a loyalty to US Airways that baffles my mind. Let's just run off the rest of our ff's who actually pay full fare tickets on US. He may get his miles on US if he goes to UAL, but guess who gets the money?

OH LORD!? Another whining ELITE!! Get over it. Use the airline that best suites your particular travel needs. If thats US only then quit complaining. Send an email to Doug and complain to him. I'm sure the regular employees don't care that you're not going to be a CP for another year.

The ignore button works well. I forgot you are Mr. Perfect Customer.

And, sorry you are wrong, I won't end up on the bottom of the elite list on UA or any other airline. You think you know it all--you don't. I flew UA first class last week--no problem. I have over 150K tier miles this year and will be CP next year--not losing status. So, again, you are WRONG.

Let's just run off the rest of our ff's who actually pay full fare tickets on US. He may get his miles on US if he goes to UAL, but guess who gets the money?

TRVLR64 thinks he knows it all--he doesn't. He is the one who complains about the cost of his tickets. I, on the other hand, am foolish enough to pay full fare on US when I can get a much better product on another airline for the same price. For the past 5 years, if US flies to where I am going, they are the only airline I call. If they don't fly there, I then try to find the closest airport they fly to. If that airport is too far, only then will I call another airline. Stupid on my part...but I am just a whining elite.

You get it though. Why should I pay $1700 for a ticket on US when the service on UA is many many times better....it just doesn't make sense for me to stay with US and it doesn't make sense for US to charge those fares. If they want to be a LCC carrier--or a low fare carrier--then get rid of the FC product or give it away for upgrades only--don't try to sell it.

US1YFARE.....I don't attest to know everything. I whine about the AIRFARES that US continues to rape and pillage its customers with in certain cities. I don't whine about not getting a FC seat, or a hot meal. Or rollover.

Reread this paragraph from your post.....I, on the other hand, am foolish enough to pay full fare on US when I can get a much better product on another airline for the same price. For the past 5 years, if US flies to where I am going, they are the only airline I call. If they don't fly there, I then try to find the closest airport they fly to. If that airport is too far, only then will I call another airline. Stupid on my part...but I am just a whining elite.

Lucky you I guess you're foolish enough to pay full fare. Either your company has tons of excess cash or you're paying this out of your pocket. Either way, it's foolish to pay outrageous prices for a comparable product or in US's case diminished product. You also admit that you will do anything to stay on US in that paragraph but then in your original post you announced you flew UA instead. Again, who do you think in the US employee group really cares? Tell it to Doug Parker. Let him know you're going to start spending all the HIGH FARES on other airlines.

I'm not Mr. Perfect Customer but I'm not Mr. STUPID CUSTOMER either. And I'm so happy you'll be a CP again next year. Guess what? I am too. Big deal. This just means we spend too much time on a plane than we do with our families or friends.

Latest posts