Wicked weather to hit Southeast

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Article

Supposed to get some snow/rain mix in CLT on Sat., but hopefully it wont be a full scale mess like a week or so ago. DL is planning for a full scale storm in ATL and has already canceled a ton of flights tomorrow. No cancellations yet from US, and hopefully the storm will pass off the coast and not drop lots of weather along the I95 corridor. If it does, Sunday will be a mess.

Another intersting item I read in the article......

Delta Air Lines spokesman Morgan Durrant said 500 weather-related flight cancellations were planned for Saturday nationwide. That included 300 of the 800 scheduled departures from the Atlanta hub. Durrant said those affected had been notified

I guess thats why he hasnt posted on the boards in a while?

It was snowing north of Charlotte where I live, now they are saying 3 to 6 inches total.

My meteoroligist son has been predicting 6" to 12" for central NC for 4 days. On air weathermen (not the same as forecasters) are afraid to commit too soon...for credibility reasons. However, forecasters have seen the storm coming for over a week and the forecast models have been fairly consistant on track and moisture content. There is no excuse for LCC to be unprepared at CLT. Maybe management is just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best. Of course, there always is the possibility that management has been off most of the week and are unaware of the possibility of weather at LCC's largest hub.

Weather forecast for Tempe, AZ:

SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI
Mostly Sunny

Mostly Sunny
68 49 Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy
66 46 Sunny

Sunny
68 45 Showers

Showers
61 47 Showers

Showers
59 36 Sunny

Sunny
61 39

Great move for Morgan & I would bet US mgmt. has no clue. The Weather Channel has been saying DL has cxld 300 in Atl & 500 nationwide being pro-active. I'm betting US will screw customers.
Thank you so much for the update and merry christmas to you from all the employees at usairways!!!

Great move for Morgan & I would bet US mgmt. has no clue. The Weather Channel has been saying DL has cxld 300 in Atl & 500 nationwide being pro-active. I'm betting US will screw customers.

Would you rather screw the customers on Christmas day like Delta did or get the customers to their Christmas destination and be able to celebrate with family and then screw them on sunday?

Me personally I would rather get screwed on sunday than Christmas.

They're saying anywhere from 4-8 for Charlotte.

A LOT of trip pairings that originate in CLT tomorrow are going through PHL, which also is promising to become a nightmare. I'm "supposed" to go the BOS tomorrow night .... they're expecting a foot!

Be safe everyone!

From lead article on Weather.com...

"Snow will spread east from the Tennessee Valley into the Carolinas Christmas Day, continuing into Sunday. Below are the accumulations we are forecasting with the heaviest totals expected to fall over North Carolina, including Raleigh and Charlotte. Notice also how far south accumulating slushy snow is possible by Sunday, including the Lowcountry of South Carolina. "

The accompanying map showed 2"-4" in CLT, 5"-8" at RDU. However, I think this was posted yesterday; so, the heavier accumulation mentioned above for CLT may be more accurate. The Weather.com map only shows 1" accumulation at ATL! Is that a reason to cancel so many flights?

The Weather.com map only shows 1" accumulation at ATL! Is that a reason to cancel so many flights?

But how many of those flights are to/from airports expecting worse conditions than ATL?

GSO started snowing about mid-afternoon today (1.5 to 2" so far) and is extecting to taper off tomorrow night. The biggest problem with the roads isn't the accumulation of snow so far but that it started as light rain so the snow how has a glaze of ice under it.

Jim

Not even a delay today! A couple of cancellations, but I didnt see any from weather, just ops and maint. Here's to a great Christmas day ! Also got a couple of DL refugees that we could help out.
Now tomorrow (Sunday) is going to be a different story with the blizzard warnings for the I95 corridor. Stay safe everyone.