Widebody ranges

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Could someone shed light on what the range of US' A330-300 and 767-200ERs are?

According to Airbus' web site, the A330-300 has a range of 5650nm and Boeing's specifies the 767-200ER has a 6600nm range. Are the ones US flies configured or restricted in some way to not meet those ranges?

I ask this because Scott Kirby said in an interview that, regarding PHX-LGW service, "we don't have any airplanes that can physically fly that far". It's a direct line of 5294nm, so while the A330 might be cutting it close, I don't see how the 762 can't do it.

Did he maybe mean they just don't have any airplanes they can pull from other routes? Looking purely at the specs, both aircraft would work, but the 762 definitely seems like it would do it with no weight restrictions or fuel reserve issues. And, if I'm not mistaken, ALL of US' 767's are the -200ER variant, right?

PHX-LGW is actually only 4600nm; the 5294 miles you mentioned are statute miles (like the miles earned by the frequent fliers). Both airplanes have the range to fly it without difficulty. Apparently, LCC doesn't have any extra airplanes capable of flying it.

Whoops! I forgot to flip the statute/nautical switch on the great circle mapper. So, at 4600 nm, it's well within range of both aircraft. Kirby's comment made it seem like the airline has no planes that can meet the range, period.

So maybe Kirby has no idea how far the airplanes can fly. :D

Or he meant to say "We have no 86 seaters (nor do our myriad regional partners/subsidiaries) that have that kind of range to fly it nonstop."

Yes but those ranges do not take into account prevailing wind, cargo load, and many other conditions.

I have heard that LH had preformance issues with PHX-FRA.

Yes but those ranges do not take into account prevailing wind, cargo load, and many other conditions.

I have heard that LH had preformance issues with PHX-FRA.
Correct
PHX FRA is 4,898 NM
PHX-LGW is 4,600 NM
the A330-300 has a zero wind range of 5,190 NM
the 767-200 ER has a zero wind range of 4,680 NM

So the A330 could make it to LGW or even FRA flying eastbound but with a full load would struggle coming back with any headwind.

If US was to acquire some 767-300's, would the pilots need to be rated or is it the same?

Same rating. Don't expect our mgmt team to actually think on this issue.

It is like the 20 767-200s they thought to bid on, ignoring the increasing interest rates, they backed down like the cretins they are. Hint: It is gonna cost more later, idiots.

No brains here, yet, the unions continue to support the fools who could not punch their way out of a wet paper bag.

Darn, so, when will we actually _do_ something? Don't hold your breath.

If US was to acquire some 767-300's, would the pilots need to be rated or is it the same?
Did DP and Scot Kirby suggest that there are no a/c available on the market or they haven't considered
obtaining suitable 'planes for those routes(PHX-LGW,PHX-FRA)?

Did DP and Scot Kirby suggest that there are no a/c available on the market or they haven't considered
obtaining suitable 'planes for those routes(PHX-LGW,PHX-FRA)?
If none on market, maybe they can order some. The 767-300 line is still going and they probably can get a few fast. Or even accelerate the A330 order if possible.

They need to expand a bit and also have some more spare widebodies in the domestic routes as well. I believe DP stated that they plan to do 3 additional Europe flights next year, so they are going to need to get 3 Planes somewhere. If they get 3 more 757's, what are the cities available, gonna need 767/A330 to my belief. They will not downgrade LGW/CDG/MAN thatg they can do 757 but would be waste. Maybe do 1 FRA flight instead of 2 and that leaves them needing 2 additional planes, and DUB-SNN wrap flight frees up 1 more. Maybe a Barcelona-Lisbon wrap as well. There are the 3 aircraft, but I do not see any of that happening that way.

If none on market, maybe they can order some. The 767-300 line is still going and they probably can get a few fast. Or even accelerate the A330 order if possible.

They need to expand a bit and also have some more spare widebodies in the domestic routes as well. I believe DP stated that they plan to do 3 additional Europe flights next year, so they are going to need to get 3 Planes somewhere. If they get 3 more 757's, what are the cities available, gonna need 767/A330 to my belief. They will not downgrade LGW/CDG/MAN thatg they can do 757 but would be waste. Maybe do 1 FRA flight instead of 2 and that leaves them needing 2 additional planes, and DUB-SNN wrap flight frees up 1 more. Maybe a Barcelona-Lisbon wrap as well. There are the 3 aircraft, but I do not see any of that happening that way.

IIRC, the first of the new A330-200s are due to arrive next year.

Latest posts