Will American Follow The Lead?

AAquila

Senior
Sep 22, 2002
INTERESTING ARTICLE. IF NORTHWEST DOES IT, WONDER HOW LONG IT WILL BE UNTIL THE OTHER AIRLINES DO THE SAME?

--
N'west charges fee for ex-perk

Airline's employees must now pay $50 for the company's travel discount program.

By Joel J. Smith / The Detroit News

Financially strapped Northwest Airlines informed its 39,000 employees this week that they must now pay a fee to qualify for free standby tickets on its flights.

Northwest, which employs 10,000 workers in Michigan, will charge a $50 per family member annual fee to participate in its pass travel ticket program. The new policy takes affect July 1.

The fee will be capped at $200 annually per family. Because it's being introduced half way through the calendar year, Northwest is accessing just $25 per employee with a $100 cap per family for 2005.

In an era of cutbacks, free flights are seen as one of the last remaining perks for airline workers.

Jay Hong, a Northwest flight attendant and base representative with the Professional Flight Attendants Association, said his union has asked Northwest to explain its rationale behind the policy change. So far, it hasn't received a reply.

"I don't think the company saves much money by charging an annual fee to your employees," Hong said.

Northwest officials said the move is aimed at cutting costs at the airline, which lost $450 million during the first quarter of 2005.

The action is the latest in a long string of cutbacks by Northwest, whose largest hub is at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Northwest has eliminated free pretzels, magazines and pillows on its domestic flights.

"We recognize that the privilege of free or inexpensive travel is important to Northwest employees and want to ensure that we are able to continue to offer that privilege in the current economic environment," said Mike Becker, Northwest's senior vice president of human resources and labor relations, in an employee newsletter.

Northwest employees say it can be difficult to travel on the free passes. They are not guaranteed a seat on a particular flight. Paying customers always take precedent.

will fix for food said:
Is that for real? Spelling errors and all?
[post="277464"][/post]​
<_< No it was written by Operaations to gage employee reaction, and make browny points with his boss!!!! :p

FA Mikey said:
we already pay with a service charge. I dont think AA will folllow.
[post="277486"][/post]​

This has been looked at before as an alternative to service charges, but never seemed to gain a lot of traction.

I only fly once or twice a year. Why should I pay the same annual cost for travel as a commuter who flies twice or three times a week?

non-rev travel pretty much sucks already so paying additional fees in order to stanby at ORD or DFW probably won't set well with most. My compAAny is no longer loyal to me so I will travel with the carrier who will give me the most for my Buck. what is that old saying again? .....oh yea "when in rome do as the romans do"

No problem for me, I'd pay it on one condition, just give me a $45,000 a year raise to equal my NWA pilot counterpart with the same years of service that I have at AA :p

AAmech said:
This is nothing new. I had friends at US who said they had to pay an annual fee.
[post="277502"][/post]​

Yes, look at the twu faithful already backing a future added expense to its members. Of course using the old worn out excuse of, that's what they do over there, so therefore it's okay for the company to take it from me overhere. :down:

operaations said:
a small price to pay...I dont like it but if it helped a little I would
[post="277461"][/post]​

What a sucka$$!

We have been paying for our free flights for years.

Once the deal with the airlines was "you have to work shifts weekends and holidays in an unstable industry where layoffs are common but you get paid well and fly for free".

Seems that everything before "but" still applies but everything after it is gone.

The flight benifits suck anyway. With flights so full the last vacation I took I drove. Its OKay if you really dont have to be there at any specific date or travel alone but try doing it with the family.

In reality its as much of a perk as a resturaunt worker being allowed to eat out of the dumpster.

Now if they gave us one positive space round trip per year ,then maybe you could consider it a worthwhile benifit.

I had to fly as a full fare passenger on another airline for my last vacation, because A: AA's flights to anywhere worth going to were overbooked with paying passengers, B: even if I had gambled and tried to non-rev on AA, I would have been fighting 20-30 other non-revs for the 1 or 2 seats that might be available ,because of cancellations, on almost every flight, C: An ID20 ,if I could have got one,on AA cost much more than the full fare ticket walk up ticket on other carriers.

Our planes are overpacked and AA says we're losing money. What a bunch of B.S.!

AMFAMAN said:
Yes, look at the twu faithful already backing a future added expense to its members. Of course using the old worn out excuse of, that's what they do over there, so therefore it's okay for the company to take it from me overhere. :down:
[post="277508"][/post]​

Oh so now I'm "Backing" this. Thanks for letting me know how I feel about this! BTW, need I remind you this is happening to Amfa represented workers?

AAmech said:
Oh so now I'm "Backing" this.  Thanks for letting me know how I feel about this!  BTW, need I remind you this is happening to Amfa represented workers?
[post="277536"][/post]​

Need I remind you that for many years we had the most expensive travel benifits of all the majors?

I would not pay an annual fee. For $200 I could pay for a ticket then use miles off credit cards for other tickets.

Imagine that, airline workers get a better deal for tickets through their credit card-free, positive space, than through their employment with the airline-pay for standby.