Winglets on the 757?

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
I see AA ordered 104 sets of winglets for their 757s after evaulating them on a few 757s, and they were very pleased.

Wonder if Dougie will do the same?

From the article:

"With fuel prices as high as they are today it is impossible to ignore the compelling value of Blended Winglet Technology," says Aviation Partners Boeing CEO John Reimers. "We were quite pleased, earlier this year, when American Airlines made the decision to retrofit its entire fleet of 737-800s with our Visible Technology. This recent order for 104 additional 757-200 shipsets is a further testament to the value and productivity of Blended Winglet Technology."

Depending upon fleet utilization and average sector length, American Airlines Blended Winglet Equipped 757's can save up to 200,000 gallons of fuel per aircraft per year.

"Blended Winglets extend the productivity and capability of the 757-200, providing up to a 5% extension in range or fuel savings over the entire economic life of the aircraft," says Aviation Partners Boeing Vice President of Sales Patrick LaMoria. "This enabling technology gives American additional flexibility while significantly lowering fuel burn."

Up to 200,000 gallons of fuel is a lot of cost savings!

Winglets would make the most sense on the our ETOPS routes.

I remember someone on this board mentioning that US management was interested in the winglets but oddly, especially for this board, no one has said a peep since.

I am looking for something to happen by next summer. Hopefully we can also get our hand on those 4 ex Iberia 757 that Varig has. That would make a winglet order more certain.

In the past Parker and co tried to get them but the lessor thought that the better deal would be with Varig. Boy were they wrong about that one. :p

After all we are supposed to serve another 3 transatlantic destinations next summer. :)

Isn't it true that the company was looking into trying to get a few of our last delivered 757's ETOPS certified? I could have swore I heard that through a town hall meeting or in some company newsletter. It's been so long now and with all the BS that flies around its kind of hard to filter it all? ;)

You can save up to $450,000 a year in fuel cost per plane.

Big chunk of change.

The A330 all come with winglets it is a standard design.

These were NOT the Airbus type Winglets.

They were Boeing style and the A/C was in the new livery and I think the tail number was 677.

Never saw an A330 at B concourse in PHL.

Just curious
Maybe it was an Embraer 170. The 330 winglets are different than the 320 familys' winglets.

I'm pretty sure Airbus refers to them as wing fences, and are somewhat different in operation than true winglets.

US does not have any blended winglets on any other fleet type then the A330.

677 is an A320 with raked winglets, not blended.

And the 757 winglets I dont see braces.

If it was definitely NOT an Airbus, and was on the B concourse, it had to be a Republic EMB-170

You can save up to $450,000 a year in fuel cost per plane.
Big chunk of change.
If AA claims 200,000 gallons of fuel per aircraft saved per year, then at today's JetA street price of about $4/gallon that's closer to $800K. Across 30+ 757s, that's significant. But I don't know what US' negotiated fuel cost is, so maybe the savings is less. Of course, if fuel keeps going up, the savings also increase.

If airlines are taking blankets and pillows out to save money on laundry costs and gross weight, this seems like a no brainer as long as someone's willing to spend the capital.

What's the total cost to purchase and install per aircraft?

Latest posts