Winter is just about here!

Jan 9, 2004
Pittsburgh PA
Okay, boys and girls. Now that it's cold outside, if you haven't received any snow and ice at your station, be sure that it's coming soon. I know that some stations won't have a white Christmas this year, but for those that do, I have a suggestion.

Ice grippers for your shoes - boots- sneakers - flip flops (yeah, whatever...) make working anywhere near an icy ramp like running through a field of wildflowers. They are relatively cheap (less than $30) and can prevent those unfortunate slip-and-falls which wind up sending you to the emergency room and then wondering where your comp check is while you wildly dial your phone calling anyone on the periphery of your situation.

If you can get them, excellent! You will be safer this winter (and the next few, I would imagine) If you can't, then maybe management will read this post and consider adding this item to the list of safety gear freely available to employees when they come to work. If you are required to use and are given wands and vests on the ramp, you should be given protection like ice grippers to keep you safe, too. Especially at the Northeast stations (BOS, LGA, PHL, PIT, DCA, PWM, BGR, BDL......well, you get the idea).