With new fare restrictions...are new reasonable fares on the horizon...?

Res

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Maybe new lower fares would be the calm in the middle of the storm or should I say hurricane......our last minute fares in some markets are so uncompetitive...it just make me want to scream ...although why is it I feel no one would listen....

I would not hold my breath waiting for our business fares to come down anytime soon. The company likes to think we are a full service airline over the Southwest Airlines type carrier, but we have eliminated almost all food service, except for coast to coast, do not offer blankets and pillows to passengers and try to find a magazine other than the Attache mag on a flight...
I believe requiring the preferred members to buy the higher fares to score mileage/ segments to attain/keep preferred status is the lastest bad move...That and the quest for RJ's which do not contain a first class compartment...I keep getting this sinking feeling that the company really wants to totally go out of business...And is making questionable moves to speed the process(recent ticket policys) ...For either a merger as only Mid-Atlantic Express(all RJ's)-Mid Atlantic Shuttle(DCA-LGA-BOS).... and or a liquidation of saleable routes/gates......(Ya'll better put a few bucks away, now while you can....)

Unlikely. It may result in an incremental increase in revenue, but it is difficult to determine if this change will sacrifice long-term revenue by lowering the switching costs between US and other airlines in non-hub markets (I doubt hub flyers will shift significant traffic).

In the end, it's always one thing that determines fares: the Supply & Demand Curve (and at an airline, the ability to identify it).

----------------
On 8/29/2002 2:16:54 AM

Please cite a few.And please don't compare to Wright Bros Airways.[;)]
----------------

Here's another charming one:

PNS-MSP (Depart Aug 30 and Return Aug 31)

Lowest fare on USAirways: 1,382 (Return requires double connection)
Lowest fare on Delta: 654 (No double connection)
Lowest fare on Airtran: 505 (No double connection)

For an additional 70 bucks each way, Airtran will let you upgrade to Business Class assuming availability.

So which would you pick??

PIT-Dallas, out on 8/30, return on 8/31.

Airtran-$584 with a connection in ATL.
Delta-$830 with a connection in ATL.
American-$932 with a connection in Chicago.

US is either giving me $1650 direct, or $850 with a double connection in ATL and CLT.

I can probably get the american fare down by %10 with an affinity discount.

And, I know for a fact that AA will give me status miles when I don't leave the day before. And, as yet, they have not matched the standby and nonrefundable rules.

Loyalty has realistic limits.

Came home today from PHL to JAX stand-by on an earlier, emptier flight. Did not take any seat from someone who was paying a higher fare, refundable or not. BTW, the flight, gate agents and cabin crew were great. US got to re-sell my previously assigned seat.

This makes more sense than me having to change planes and travel patterns after many years of outstanding service from you, the employees of US Airways.

(Edited for spelling)

Reality Check -- I thought you were into apples to apples comparisons? Are those fares that you quoted use 'em or lose 'em? Is stand-by permitted?

----------------
On 8/29/2002 5:35:25 PM

----------------
On 8/29/2002 1:58:35 PM

US is either giving me $1650 direct, or $850 with a double connection in ATL and CLT.

And, I know for a fact that AA will give me status miles when I don't leave the day before. And, as yet, they have not matched the standby and nonrefundable rules.

----------------

FROM DOT COM SITE 29AUG.....

Itinerary Total - US$ 216.50 Flight Fare Rules
1 adult at US$ 216.50
5:55pm Depart Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)

7:51pm Arrive Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW) Aug. 31
US Airways flight 443 View rules
7:00am Depart Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (DFW)

10:45am Arrive Pittsburgh, PA (PIT) Sep. 1
US Airways flight 1812

U was/is selling same 216 nonstop fare subj to avail this FRI SAT rtrn by 9-7..if you hunt long enough you find bargains..if a day and or time is sold out already for a matching fare attempt, there is no need for the airline to add more cheap seats, especially if flight is near 100pct full...

For PNS MSP why would I tie up high revenue potential seats pns clt and clt msp or pns clt pit msp with a market that might support 1 person per day per flight sequence.I would rather offer these discount seats in more popular higher selling markets ,like atl msp? JAX MSP? or make better profit on the local hub to city nonstops. People tend to forget that law of economics.
----------------

----------------
On 8/29/2002 1:58:35 PM

----------------

1 adult at US$ 216.50

US Airways flight 1812

U was/is selling same 216 nonstop fare subj to avail this FRI SAT rtrn by 9-7..if you hunt long enough you find bargains..if a day and or time is sold out already for a matching fare attempt, there is no need for the airline to add more cheap seats, especially if flight is near 100pct full...

For PNS MSP why would I tie up high revenue potential seats pns clt and clt msp or pns clt pit msp with a market that might support 1 person per day per flight sequence.I would rather offer these discount seats in more popular higher selling markets ,like atl msp? JAX MSP? or make better profit on the local hub to city nonstops. People tend to forget that law of economics.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 5:45:16 PM

Reality Check -- I thought you were into apples to apples comparisons? Are those fares that you quoted use 'em or lose 'em? Is stand-by permitted?

----------------
I am, but you cannot expect 100 pct matching in all markets, no one, not even, I has ever implied that. For that cheap a last minute fare 1/2 way across the country,just like many 100 dollar or so esavers, I say use it or lose it or rebook it less 100chg fee, why book it if you cant go, emergcys not withstanding?

1 adult at US$ 216.50

US Airways flight 1812

----------------

Red herring. It includes a saturday stay. And, if that is the $196 fare basis, I'd get no miles and no standby next year. Not true of the other fares I quoted.

Again, do we see the problem here?

OK, how about this one:

Business trip from RDU to Houston (IAH or HOU) leaving Tuesday (9/3) and returning Friday (9/6). US Airways' lowest fare is $452 for the round-trip. Not unreasonable except that it's an "M" class fare, so it's NOT REFUNDABLE (though it will earn status next year). If you don't reschedule before the flight, you're S.O.L. If you need the flexibility of a refundable fare, well, that's gonna cost you $1532. Continental's lowest REFUNDABLE round-trip fare is $447. Remember, that is REFUNDABLE. That's also their lowest fare 5 days out. Southwest's lowest fare is $394; the outbound leg is fully refundable while the return is nonrefundable (though the fare value can be used for any itinerary for up to a year). Their lowest refundable fare is $453 round-trip. Delta's lowest fare is $452 and it's ALSO REFUNDABLE. Delta's lowest unrestricted fare is $1434 round-trip -- and you're guaranteed a first-class seat between ATL and IAH in both directions.

So, if I were a business traveler, which would I pick? Probably CO (for the non-stop and refundable fare) or WN to save a few bucks (especially if I were headed downtown or south of Houston). Also note that CO will automatically process an upgrade to First for its Elite members (so, no calling at midnight).

Well I guess I'll just have to be satisfied that you're sort of admitting that maybe your fares aren't actually competitive after all. They only sort of seem that way if you don't look at the details too closely.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 7:01:19 PM

----------------
On 8/29/2002 5:45:16 PM

----------------
I am, but you cannot expect 100 pct matching in all markets, no one, not even, I has ever implied that. For that cheap a last minute fare 1/2 way across the country,just like many 100 dollar or so esavers, I say use it or lose it or rebook it less 100chg fee, why book it if you cant go, emergcys not withstanding?
----------------

----------------
... US Airways' lowest fare is $452 for the round-trip. Not unreasonable except that it's an "M" class fare, so it's NOT REFUNDABLE (though it will earn status next year).

Be careful -- there is NO relationship between US Airways' fare designator and refundability! While I was checking into this the other day (see the "giving it a chance" thread on FT...) I found a "use it or lose it" F fare! I thought one way to get an immune fare must be to book in F -- but nope, even that doesn't work. The use it or lose it disease is everywhere -- it is almost impossible to avoid. Only the top couple of fares in any market seems to be immune. This is not restricted to "low fares".