WN to expand Denver

mrman

Senior
Sep 10, 2002
Southwest Airlines has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday and is expected to announce an expansion of its Denver service.

Chief Executive Officer Gary Kelly will be joined for the announcement by Mayor John Hickenlooper. Southwest spokeswoman Marilee McInnis declined additional comment Tuesday.

The airline said Denver is one of its fastest-growing cities with 56 daily flights, up from 13 when it launched service in January 2006 at Denver International Airport

Southwest Airlines has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday and is expected to announce an expansion of its Denver service.

Chief Executive Officer Gary Kelly will be joined for the announcement by Mayor John Hickenlooper. Southwest spokeswoman Marilee McInnis declined additional comment Tuesday.

The airline said Denver is one of its fastest-growing cities with 56 daily flights, up from 13 when it launched service in January 2006 at Denver International Airport.

story here

Apparently the schedules were loaded into http://timetables.oag.com/den this morning and include:

DEN-PHL 2X
DEN-LAX 5X
DEN-RDU 1X
DEN-STL 3X
DEN-SJC 3X
DEN-SAT 1X

Looks like AUS will also get 1 new n/s to DEN for a total of 2 daily.

All these new flights showed up when I used a random date of June 8, 2008. Not sure when the new flights actually begin, though.

The airline said Denver is one of its fastest-growing cities with 56 daily flights, up from 13 when it launched service in January 2006 at Denver International Airport
DEN-PHL 2X
DEN-LAX 5X
DEN-RDU 1X
DEN-STL 3X
DEN-SJC 3X
DEN-SAT 1X

Apparently the schedules were loaded into http://timetables.oag.com/den this morning and include:

DEN-PHL 2X
DEN-LAX 5X
DEN-RDU 1X
DEN-STL 3X
DEN-SJC 3X
DEN-SAT 1X

Looks like AUS will also get 1 new n/s to DEN for a total of 2 daily.

All these new flights showed up when I used a random date of June 8, 2008. Not sure when the new flights actually begin, though.

Holy Moly, this is HUGE!!!

Here we grow again!!!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------
well..... yes and no

Southwest Air reroutes as economy weakens
Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:31pm EST NEW YORK, Jan 9 (Reuters) - Southwest Airlines Co (LUV.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the leading U.S. discount carrier, said on Wednesday it will cut dozens of routes as it revamps its schedule to focus on faster growing markets and adapt to the slowing U.S. economy.

Southwest said it will eliminate 40 existing routes, including 10 flights from Oakland, California, eight flights from Chicago, and seven from Baltimore.
The company will then add 49 routes, with 17 flights added from Denver, including five to Los Angeles. The changes take effect May 10, the company said.

Story

---------------------------------------------------
well..... yes and no

Southwest Air reroutes as economy weakens
Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:31pm EST NEW YORK, Jan 9 (Reuters) - Southwest Airlines Co (LUV.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the leading U.S. discount carrier, said on Wednesday it will cut dozens of routes as it revamps its schedule to focus on faster growing markets and adapt to the slowing U.S. economy.

Southwest said it will eliminate 40 existing routes, including 10 flights from Oakland, California, eight flights from Chicago, and seven from Baltimore.
The company will then add 49 routes, with 17 flights added from Denver, including five to Los Angeles. The changes take effect May 10, the company said.

Story

------------------------------

A net gain of 9 flights is GROWTH! <_< <_< <_<

Counting down till American announces its going to meet SWA flight for flight on the RDU, STL, SJC, LAX and SAT service.

Counting down till American announces its going to meet SWA flight for flight on the RDU, STL, SJC, LAX and SAT service.

We might upgrade DEN-STL to mainline from AX (but I doubt it), and since SAT (along with AUS) is getting to be a mini-hub maybe DEN-SAT, but we already have 3x service to LAX. SJC is almost a dead issue with us already. Is there enough business for DEN-RDU non-stops?

They're going after UA. Look at the last three major new markets; Denver, San Francisco, Dulles

I don't think SWA is "going after" anyone. They are where they are today because they analyze markets and determine where they might best make a profit by serving a particular market. If there is money to be made in those markets, SWA provides service.

Case in point: SWA got the Wright Amendment modified several years ago to provide service to Mississippi and Alabama non-stop from Love Field. Non-stop service to BHM from DAL just started late last year. AFAIK there is still no service from DAL to anywhere in Mississippi because SWA does not perceive a money-making route. SWA started a 1xdaily service to BHM after my airline (AA) cut back from 4xdaily to 3xdaily from DFW.

Another case in point: At the same time that SWA is increasing service in some markets, they are cutting service in other markets that they have served much longer--such as, Oakland and Chicago. If it don't make money, they don't fly it.

I don't think SWA is "going after" anyone. They are where they are today because they analyze markets and determine where they might best make a profit by serving a particular market. If there is money to be made in those markets, SWA provides service.

Case in point: SWA got the Wright Amendment modified several years ago to provide service to Mississippi and Alabama non-stop from Love Field. Non-stop service to BHM from DAL just started late last year. AFAIK there is still no service from DAL to anywhere in Mississippi because SWA does not perceive a money-making route. SWA started a 1xdaily service to BHM after my airline (AA) cut back from 4xdaily to 3xdaily from DFW.

Another case in point: At the same time that SWA is increasing service in some markets, they are cutting service in other markets that they have served much longer--such as, Oakland and Chicago. If it don't make money, they don't fly it.
They did BHM-DAL but what about Tennessee, NO MEM-DAL or BNA-DAL. They just wanted to modify where THEY ONLY could make a profit. Its smart for WN to do that, but they don't want to go into a market and get flooded with competition, which BNA and MEM would do. How long does this stay in effect till the cap will be totally lifted?

Southwest avoided DEN for DECADES because they claimed it wouldn't be cost effective. Then suddenly it is their fastest growing and most profitable area?? No, I'm calling BS on that...

Southwest announces they are flooding cities from DEN with a glut of seats. Cut to me, updating my resumé. :unsure: