Woman Dies on American Airlines Flight

Veritas

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Woman dies on American Airlines flight
After the flight attendant refused to administer oxygen to Desir, she became distressed, pleading, "Don't let me die," Oliver recalled.

Other passengers aboard Flight 896 became agitated over the situation, he said, and the flight attendant, apparently after phone consultation with the cockpit, tried to administer oxygen from a portable tank and mask, but the tank was reportedly empty.
Two doctors and two nurses were aboard and tried to administer oxygen from a second tank, which also was empty, Oliver said.

Desir was put on the floor, and a nurse tried CPR, to no avail, Oliver said. A "box," possibly a defibrillator, also was applied but didn't function effectively, he said.

Oliver said he then asked for the plane to "land right away so I can get her to a hospital," and the pilot agreed to divert to Miami, 45 minutes away. But during that time, Desir died, Oliver said.

Desir, 44, was pronounced dead by one of the doctors, Joel Shulkin, and the flight continued to Kennedy International Airport without stopping in Miami, with the woman's body moved to the floor of the first-class section and covered with a blanket, Oliver said.

My first question NOW, because of the tragedy is, Is any member of the Flight Crew responsible to check the o2 levels of these Emerg. tanks, BEFORE Dept. ???
Don't know about AA, but...
Aren't F/A's supposed to check their emergency equipment before a flight?
The DL lay over check includes an item to replace any portable oxygen bottle that is under 1800 p.s.i.
That's two times it should have been checked.

Another question:
I know the secure cockpit thing and all, but the flight crew has their own oxygen system. Why wouldn't they have brought her up front and put the observer's mask on her? Ultimately, the pilot is responsible for anything that happens on his A/C.

There are going to be a lot of who, what, and whys asked about this. My condolences go to the Desir family, and to the AA family.

My heartfelt condolences to all parties involved...why people die are irrelavent....

Just as an aside...I've worked the gates for several airlines... and many passengers will refuse to purchase oxygen for a flight because of the fees involved and will rely on the F/A's to admister oxygen infight from the onboard supplies that the Pax know are onboard......But with the pressure that upper management puts on it's employee's now to be profitable, I'm NOT surprised that this doesn't happen more often ....And I'm wondering...Is the result of this because of unhappy overworked/stressed-out employees not having the time to do their jobs properly anymore......

My heartfelt condolences to all parties involved...why people die are irrelavent....

Just as an aside...I've worked the gates for several airlines... and many passengers will refuse to purchase oxygen for a flight because of the fees involved and will rely on the F/A's to admister oxygen infight from the onboard supplies that the Pax know are onboard......But with the pressure that upper management puts on it's employee's now to be profitable, I'm NOT surprised that this doesn't happen more often ....And I'm wondering...Is the result of this because of unhappy overworked/stressed-out employees not having the time to do their jobs properly anymore......
Please. Blaming the victim is just over-the-top.. . This was not an elderly person who required o2 to travel. This was an unexpected emergency that in no way can be blamed on someone "not purchasing oxygen for a flight due to fees." This is obvioiusly a case of negligence. Period.

Please. Blaming the victim is just over-the-top.. . This was not an elderly person who required o2 to travel. This was an unexpected emergency that in no way can be blamed on someone "not purchasing oxygen for a flight due to fees." This is obvioiusly a case of negligence. Period.

And then the "real" story will be told. I cannot believe that ALL O2 bottles were empty and that the defib didn't work. Airplane defibs are designed not to "shock" if it isn't necessary. You cannot override the system. This is a very sad story but I think there has to be some missing information.

And then the "real" story will be told. I cannot believe that ALL O2 bottles were empty and that the defib didn't work. Airplane defibs are designed not to "shock" if it isn't necessary. You cannot override the system. This is a very sad story but I think there has to be some missing information.
I agree, there must be more to the story.

MMB. As far as bringing a medical emergency into the cockpit I dont see that as a viable alternative, if all the bottles are empty they could have dropped the masks and/or used the O2 generators.

Don't know about AA, but...
Aren't F/A's supposed to check their emergency equipment before a flight?
The DL lay over check includes an item to replace any portable oxygen bottle that is under 1800 p.s.i.
That's two times it should have been checked.

Another question:
I know the secure cockpit thing and all, but the flight crew has their own oxygen system. Why wouldn't they have brought her up front and put the observer's mask on her? Ultimately, the pilot is responsible for anything that happens on his A/C.

There are going to be a lot of who, what, and whys asked about this. My condolences go to the Desir family, and to the AA family.

There is zero chance the cockpit door would be opened and the cockpit O2 used.

I am a bit confused. I thought the only o2 onboard an aircraft is the ones used for the masks in an emergency. As far as 02 tanks on a plane I thought they are only their at the request of a passenger with medical notation and paid for by the passenger.

If I am wrong where does this 02 appear on the plane and why is it there

No, there are small O2 Cylinders on every plane for medical emergencies.

Press Release Source: American Airlines

American Airlines Statement Regarding Death of Passenger
Monday February 25, 10:54 am ET

FORT WORTH, Texas, Feb. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines is very saddened over the death of passenger Carine Desir on Flight 896 from Haiti to New York's JFK Airport last Friday and extends its deepest sympathy to the grieving family.
We are investigating this incident, as we do with all serious medical situations on board our aircraft, but American Airlines can say oxygen was administered and the Automatic External Defibrillator was applied.

Among the preflight duties of our highly trained Flight Attendants is a check of all emergency equipment on the aircraft. This includes checking the oxygen bottles -- there were 12 in this particular aircraft. We stand behind the actions and training of our crew and the functionality of the onboard medical equipment. We are also grateful to medical volunteers on this flight who came to the aid of a fellow traveler during flight.

I am a bit confused. I thought the only o2 onboard an aircraft is the ones used for the masks in an emergency. As far as 02 tanks on a plane I thought they are only their at the request of a passenger with medical notation and paid for by the passenger.

If I am wrong where does this 02 appear on the plane and why is it there

There are plenty of small bottles onboard - primarily so the FAs would have O2 in the event of a decompression - they need to be able to walk around and perform safety duties. They're also available for med emergencies.

There is ZERO chance that all the O2 bottles were empty. The family is understandably upset that she died, but it ain't the FA's fault. The defib was not inop and the O2 was not refused. Nor were the bottles empty.

There are several O2 sources in the cabin of any AA aircraft.
Portable walkaround O2 bottles (several located through the cabin)
Portable O2 generators. (through out the cabin)
If all else fails then the masks above your seat can be used.

This news story needs to be read with a grain of salt.
Wait for the facts to be released.