would 3% make a difference?

Depends on where the 3% were to be applied.

I forget what M&E's total savings in supposed to be in terms of absolute dollars -- how far would 3% go towards funding an early out if there weren't any other adjustments?

I forget what M&E's total savings in supposed to be in terms of absolute dollars -- how far would 3% go towards funding an early out if there weren't any other adjustments?

Funding an early out and cutting the skills and experience will be a negative on AA and not a great idea.

I really dont want to try to train building cleaners and OSM's in at attempt to replace those with passion for maintenance and experience.

The bean counter might see huge savings, I see further problems ahead, in safety and quality.

Reactions: 1 person

Before the 3% is applied to the Mechanic & Related shouldn't the mechanics be brought up to the legacy airline average salary?

Before the 3% is applied to the Mechanic & Related shouldn't the mechanics be brought up to the legacy airline average salary?

Yes, the pilots are not at the bottom of the industry like us. What the company may not realize is that many were unaware they were voting yes to take paycuts so AA could earn $3 billion in profits, they will know next time so if the offer doesn't bring us among our peers, it would not be 56%, it would be much higher.

3%? To me the "raises" are a mirage. They would be eaten up by increases in medical every year and the need to now at least partially fund our retirement (401k). A dollar amount cap on medical would help.

A bigger issue to me is the duration of 6 years. Who wants to sit on the sidelines and watch the company make billions while we slide further behind. With a 3 or 4 year deal we could at least negotiate while the company is making that projected 3 billion.

Well poor ungrateful me. Forgive me but a 3% raise in pilots' pay would be too generous in my view. But I am not you, so I am sure you won't see it my way.

Ladies and gentlemen please keep in mind that our world is changing. You guys can see it better than anyone.

Yes the world is changing and what some interpret as workers having blinders on or being unrealistic is actually workers trying to preserve what they or someone else fought to achieve.

Reactions: 4 people
AA89 makes a valid point. However we should have already been averaged among our peers. When the TWU lawyers in Docket #2726 said that average is $36+ , it should been a signal to the company that the cost of doing business is rising. Yet even our line mechanics cannot get there. With WN at $44+ and then UPS approaching $53, something must be done.

Yes the world is changing and what some interpret as workers having blinders on or being unrealistic is actually workers trying to preserve what they or someone else fought to achieve.

Totally agree with you. Unfortunately sacrifice and compromise must sometimes be used to preserve our achievements. The way of life for all American workers(ALL Americans, not just Airlines) is about to be changed. Anything you can do someone can do better-and the golden rule for corporate America-and do it cheaper.

I don't know your business and am in no way trying to step on anyones toes, I'm just giving an opinion. Maybe off base, but hopefully enlightening or educating in some way. For you or myself.

Not that it matters, but this is year 3 for me without a raise.

AA89 makes a valid point. However we should have already been averaged among our peers. When the TWU lawyers in Docket #2726 said that average is $36+ , it should been a signal to the company that the cost of doing business is rising. Yet even our line mechanics cannot get there. With WN at $44+ and then UPS approaching $53, something must be done.

Buck is 'right on the money Again', meaning....bring the AMT's relatively close to WN( $ 40. sounds about right, or in that vicinity)(NOTHING with the first number beginning with a "3"), and Then go from there.

There is one-way...and one-way ONLY ...to Save the profession, and Bich-slap AMR to start, (and continue to) respect you guys/gals, and here it is;

First.... and THANK GOD you AMT's collectively have already done it(Line and Overhaul)Vote NO (F) WAY!

Second, (and this will be HARD on a lot of folks, BUT It HAS to be Done) and that is to CONTINUE to VOTE NO !!

I say that it will be hard on a lot of AMT's meaning that AMR will cut TUL manning to the Bone, BUT they will NOT shut it down. (Kinda like "too big to fail" )

Finally, if AMR rams a contract (via BK) down your throats, then "Work to FAA Rule". If AA signs off paperwork on AA Jets, then EVERYONE needs to pin a whistle to thier collar and Use it OVER and OVER and OVER again, via the Media, or whatever works ! !
(And never ending FLAT TIRES for fellow AMT "KISS ARSE's") !

THAT solution my friends will work !

Think of it like a great OU football game, and for the time being..forget offense. You guys are on DEFENSE. HOLD that LINE. NO AMR scoring...NO AMR "first downs" !

...snip
Finally, if AMR rams a contract (via BK) down your throats, then "Work to FAA Rule". If AA signs off paperwork on AA Jets, then EVERYONE needs to pin a whistle to thier collar and Use it OVER and OVER and OVER again, via the Media, or whatever works ! !
(And never ending FLAT TIRES for fellow AMT "KISS ARSE's") !

THAT solution my friends will work !
...snip

Excuse my ignorance but I need clarification.

Everytime I see someone post a statement that reads "then Work to FAA Rule" I always wonder what rule are you working to at other times?

I would hope that we are working to FAA rule everyday and everynight. But I could be living a sheltered life in the industrial union compound known as TULE

Reactions: 2 people
Depends on how you measure "average". Should we in include AA if we are measuring ourselves against everyone else? Probably not, because we are measuring where we are against everyone else, including us distorts the comparasion. Should we include USAIRWAYS? Probably not because they are working under a contract that became amendable several years ago and may get retro. Should we include UPS? Probably yes because their is no difference in qualifications, both simply look for heavy turbine experience and there really is not much difference between working a freighter or passenger aircraft. When UPS negotiates with their mechanics they include AA in the comparator group and historically the wages were around the same. In 2002 we made more than UPS. The business has not changed much and UPS mechanics have not made materiel gains over the last ten years, they simply kept pace with inflation.

The union has been too gracious in simply allowing the company to pick and choose who is in the comparator group. When I first started in this process they would include WN in areas where it helped the company arguement such as mechanics per airplane but then exclude them where it helped ours such as pay and benifits. After several rounds of debate they started including them in pay and benifits as well. Prior to 2003, when we made more than them, the company always included WN.

So, in really the average wage paid to other mechanics in this industry is much higher than $36/hr. Include UPS and eliminate AA and USAIR because both are working under deals that became amendable years ago and the average goes well past $40/hr.

Totally agree with you. Unfortunately sacrifice and compromise must sometimes be used to preserve our achievements. The way of life for all American workers(ALL Americans, not just Airlines) is about to be changed. Anything you can do someone can do better-and the golden rule for corporate America-and do it cheaper.

I don't know your business and am in no way trying to step on anyones toes, I'm just giving an opinion. Maybe off base, but hopefully enlightening or educating in some way. For you or myself.

Not that it matters, but this is year 3 for me without a raise.

You act as if this is new. Its not. Corporations have not changed, they are as greedy as they ever were. Whats changed is the calibre of Union Leadership thats quick to blame the membership for their inability to lead. The companies are simply capitalizing of the weakness of the Unions.

Workers never went on strike because they could afford to, they went on strike because they knew if they gave then the company would keep coming back for more. Our Union leadership told us to give in 2003, they told us that if we did the Court would take into consideration what we gave up and that in 2006 that we would get it all back. The majority of the members believed the Union Leadership. Every one of those things they told us was wrong, and now we find ourselves nine years later being told its better to agree to six more years with even more concessions than to fight it. What do you think they have in store for us in 2018 if we agree to more concessions now?

Reactions: 4 people

Latest posts