Wow! NY Times Must Read

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/nyregion/18plane.html?hp

"...The account offered by the safety agency — based on interviews conducted Saturday with the plane’s crew — had numerous startling elements, not the least of which was the fact that Captain Sullenberger, who has been hailed by the mayor and the president for his skill and bravery, was not at the controls at takeoff. Instead, the plane’s first officer, 49-year-old Jeffrey B. Skiles, was in control; a 23-year veteran of the airline, he had just 35 hours of flying time in this particular kind of craft, the Airbus A320.

But as soon as the plane encountered the birds and the engines quit nearly simultaneously, Captain Sullenberger, 58, took over.

“My aircraft,â€￾ he announced to his first officer, using the standard phrasing and protocol drilled into airline crews.

“Your aircraft,â€￾ Mr. Skiles responded..."

Figured the NY Times had nothing better to do but sell papers over this. It's common for pilots to change type ratings all the time, I have a friend who was an Intl B757 Pilot that went to LGA to fly 320s in the slow months and will be going back to the B757/767s when the busy summer transatlantics start up again.

Figured the NY Times had nothing better to do but sell papers over this. It's common for pilots to change type ratings all the time, I have a friend who was an Intl B757 Pilot that went to LGA to fly 320s in the slow months and will be going back to the B757/767s when the busy summer transatlantics start up again.

I don't think so -- not at US. Isn't there a two-year freeze after training unless an upgrade or bumped from base? Correct me if I am wrong.

Later,
Eye

It's common for pilots to change type ratings all the time, I have a friend who was an Intl B757 Pilot that went to LGA to fly 320s in the slow months and will be going back to the B757/767s when the busy summer transatlantics start up again.

While it's not uncommon for pilots to switch planes for any number of reasons, the situation you describe isn't the same as F/O Skiles. Your friend would have probably flown the A320 during the off season before, accumulating time in it every off season. F/O Skiles apparently hadn't flown the A320 at any prior time in his career with US.

Isn't there a two-year freeze after training unless an upgrade or bumped from base? Correct me if I am wrong.

Under the current East contract, the freeze can be as short as 12 months (going back to an airplane flown within the last 24 months) and as long as 24 months ("sideways" or "backward" movement). Normal upward movement - upgrade, going to higher paying equipment - carries an 18 month freeze. There is no freeze when displaced involuntarily.

Jim

I don't think so -- not at US. Isn't there a two-year freeze after training unless an upgrade or bumped from base? Correct me if I am wrong.

Later,
Eye

I believe your correct.. there is a freeze. I believe even for most upgrades. A friend on the E190 was all set for an upgrade to the Airbus and about 2 months before head down to CLT. They pulled it for some reason. I believe he told me it was due to the low amount of crews for the E190s - they shouldn't have awarded it to him the in the first place. But I could be wrong and it could have been another reason...

Does US type FOs?

Not that it matters--if the FO (with as many hours as he's probably had) successfully passed his checkride and the US training department, he's good to go in my book.

While it's not uncommon for pilots to switch planes for any number of reasons, the situation you describe isn't the same as F/O Skiles. Your friend would have probably flown the A320 during the off season before, accumulating time in it every off season. F/O Skiles apparently hadn't flown the A320 at any prior time in his career with US.

Under the current East contract, the freeze can be as short as 12 months (going back to an airplane flown within the last 24 months) and as long as 24 months ("sideways" or "backward" movement). Normal upward movement - upgrade, going to higher paying equipment - carries an 18 month freeze. There is no freeze when displaced involuntarily.

Jim
You are correct. I saw Jeff a few weeks ago in CLT and asked what He was doing in CLT. Said He had just completed his IOE. He mentioned He was comfortable with the MCDU because it was very similar to the F-100. I believe He flew Captain on the F100. But this was his first time on the bus.