Xna: Schedule Not "business Friendly"

I wonder if anyone with an "in" at marketing could discuss the weekend schedule at XNA (Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport) This airport serves Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers, and Springdale Arkansas.

I have been trying to book US Airways from XNA to DAY and the online reservations system won't do it! It says the service is unavailable.

I have been able to do so on the telephone reservations line but, unfortunately the weekend schedule is somewhat of a challenge.

Let me give you an example.

This market is also served by:

Northwest: MEM (DC9-30)
Northwest Airlink: MSP, DTW (CRJ)
American: LAX, ORD (MD-88)
American Eagle: LAX, ORD, DFW, LGA (CR7, ERJ145)
American Connection: STL (Bae4100, ERJ145)
Continental Express: EWR, CLE, HOU (ERJ145)
Delta Connection: CVG, ATL, SLC (CRJ, CR7)
United Express: DEN, ORD (CRJ)

and, lastly, US Airways Express (Mesa) to CLT.

The problem with the US Airways service is that on Friday evenings (when most of the business travelers are headed home) the LAST flight that US Airways offers out of town is at 5:30pm!

If they miss that flight, US Airways offers only 1 flight on Saturday -- at 5:30 in the morning.

On Sunday afternoons, when many businesspeople are returning to XNA, US Airways provides only 2 flights! (one arriving at approximately 5pm and one not until 10:30pm)

If they elect to return Monday morning to start their business the EARLIEST flight from Charlotte does not arrive until 11:00am!

Just wondering if there are any plans in the works to either increase frequency in this market, or even add additional destinations (PHL, DCA, LGA?) As a former employee I would love to use US Airways and help the cause.

Thanks!
PS - Please send the E170 (ok.. i'll settle for the PSA CR7)

Furloughedagain said:
This airport serves Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers, and Springdale Arkansas.
[post="254289"][/post]​
But was built for Walmart and Tyson foods. Those cities just happen to be nearby. :up: :up: :up:

Perhaps that is part of the reason <grin>.

Also though, XNA was built because the Fayetteville airport (FYV) simply could not handle the increase in traffic as the region grew.

It (FYV) has only a 6000 foot runway and limited room for expansion. There is no ILS on the field. The lowest approach is a LOC that requires 1 mile visibility -- the airport sits in a "bowl" surrounded by hills and visibility is a constant problem.

XNA, on the other hand, has a 10,000 foot runway, sits out in the flatlands in the town of Highfill, and has an ILS on both sides.

www.flyxna.com

Furloughedagain said:
I wonder if anyone with an "in" at marketing could discuss the weekend schedule at "

Don't Worry. US Marketing has never had a clue as to peak travel times based on city needs. IE: When they serviced Reno - departure flts left at 0600. Reno is a 24hr tourist city with hotel check-out times of 11:00am. Any airline with half a brain would schedule their departures after 12noon. And why do flts from the west to the east HAVE to be early afternoon or late night red-eyes. I would much rather leave LAX at 4pm and arrive at 2am than to have to take a red-eye. They could have had flts leaving the west at 2/3/4pm so people can work 1/2 day or have time to drive to the airport and arrive on the east at 12/1/2am and still get some sleep. US never did understand that not everyone on the west coast lives within 30 minutes of SFO, LAX, SAN or SEA. Some people drive 4-5-6hrs just to get to one of those airports. They had the West in their pocket. They stepped over dollars to pick up pennies.

Oh yeah, one more thing...US has FedEx Ground, a HUGE corporation in it's backyard...and these employees need to travel frequently to MEM, the Corporate Hdqtrs for FedEx...what does US do...dahhh??? They cancel their non-stop service btwn PIT and MEM.

"The possible reason it won't price is that some of the layover times are in excess of 4 hours. Just a thought"

All the more reason to expand the schedule out of XNA -- provide the customers from our area access to the entire US Airways network.

I realize we're only one small city (region) but if a customer WANTS to use US Airways and can not schedule those flights then it would seem there is a problem. Obviously the other legacy carriers feel that this market is important enough to provide good frequency and a variety of destinations (some with mainline service).

Bottom line. There are people here who want to give US Airways their money -- weekly. But the limited frequency is preventing them from gaining access to the US Airways network.

So week after week I fly into the heart of US Airways country -- on Delta Connection.

Whlinder: FYV does not have any scheduled air service anymore (unless you count FedEx and UPS). All scheduled airlines into Fayetteville fly into XNA. Thank you for checking though!

Furloughedagain said:
Whlinder: FYV does not have any scheduled air service anymore (unless you count FedEx and UPS). All scheduled airlines into Fayetteville fly into XNA. Thank you for checking though!
[post="254596"][/post]​

FYV is still the city code for the area though, and fares are published to FYV, just like LGA fares are published to NYC. The fare calculation on tickets sold to XNA will show FYV in it.

(Sorry, I live in the world of city codes all day!)

Actually, the old airport was Fayetteville Drake Field, city code FAY. The newer one, opened in 98 or 99, is XNA, Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport.

I am officially a dork, don't ask me why I'm so up on Arkansas airport trivia.

FYV - Fayetteville, AR, USA Municipal
XNA - Fayetteville, AR, USA - Northwest Arkansas Regional
FAY - Fayetteville, NC, USA Fayetteville Municipal