Yesterday's SNN-PHL flt

usairways85

Senior
May 18, 2003
I just want to get some clarfication on this flts 7 hour delay.

If anyone is familar with the morning show on the 93.3 radio station in Philly, they just blasted US for this delay. Some pretty good free press there. Ed Wade the former GM of the Philadelphia Phillies was also on the flt.

First they said the flt was on transatlantic clearance hold for an hour (what is this?)

they finally boarded and took off but the pilots noticed a leak in the air conditioning system 5 minutes after take off so they returned to SNN. Waited 5 hours for them to fix the problem. They boarded everyone, but then discovered they broke the luggage belts on the plane while fixing the air conditioning problem. So about 45 bags had to be taken off the aircraft and left at SNN and will be arriving in PHL today. They didn't know which bags were taken off so the paxs just had to wait until they arrived at baggage claim in PHL and didn't see their bag.

Who is responsable for these maintenance issues in SNN? Does US contract out this work?

Why did the 45 bags have to be left at SNN. Not sure if they fully understood what went wrong on the radio.

Another thing they said on air was that after they finally headed towards PHL the FA started the normal pa announcement and said sorry for the "brief" delay and everyone errupted on the flt. While this is a pretty trivial comment i think a better choice of words could have been used after 7 hours.

**NOTE i am not trying to blast US here, i would just like to understand why things went wrong. US could have had some free press on the WMMR morning show which is one of the most podcasted shows in America, but instead they probably turned more people away from US

I just want to get some clarfication on this flts 7 hour delay.

If anyone is familar with the morning show on the 93.3 radio station in Philly, they just blasted US for this delay. Some pretty good free press there. Ed Wade the former GM of the Philadelphia Phillies was also on the flt.

First they said the flt was on transatlantic clearance hold for an hour (what is this?)

they finally boarded and took off but the pilots noticed a leak in the air conditioning system 5 minutes after take off so they returned to SNN. Waited 5 hours for them to fix the problem. They boarded everyone, but then discovered they broke the luggage belts on the plane while fixing the air conditioning problem. So about 45 bags had to be taken off the aircraft and left at SNN and will be arriving in PHL today. They didn't know which bags were taken off so the paxs just had to wait until they arrived at baggage claim in PHL and didn't see their bag.

Who is responsable for these maintenance issues in SNN? Does US contract out this work?

Why did the 45 bags have to be left at SNN. Not sure if they fully understood what went wrong on the radio.

Another thing they said on air was that after they finally headed towards PHL the FA started the normal pa announcement and said sorry for the "brief" delay and everyone errupted on the flt. While this is a pretty trivial comment i think a better choice of words could have been used after 7 hours.
**NOTE i am not trying to blast US here, i would just like to understand why things went wrong. US could have had some free press on the WMMR morning show which is one of the most podcasted shows in America, but instead they probably turned more people away from US
This is a perfect example of the hardship for flight attendants. Bless you for taking care of irrate, tired pax's. I could only imagine what you dealt with???!!! I am sorry for the pax's too, but we aren't trained or have enough fa's to deal with this kind of stress on the job. :(

Hmm. While I'm not sure exactly what happened, I'm sure there are a few frequent fliers on here that can tell you exactly what happened, how US Airways screwed up, and what they would have done in that situation.

:up:

Transatlantic clearance holds can happen when the tracks over the north Atlantic fill up with planes. It's basically an ATC delay due to air traffic congestion.

A leak in the air conditioner? Well, I'm not sure how serious it is...but if a pilot is willing to return to the airport after departure I'm sure it was worth it. After all, who wants the air conditioning to quit halfway over the pond?

Also, when ISN'T the Philadelphia media blasting US Airways :)

A leak in the air conditioner? Well, I'm not sure how serious it is...but if a pilot is willing to return to the airport after departure I'm sure it was worth it. After all, who wants the air conditioning to quit halfway over the pond?

AIR CONDITIONING = PRESSURIZATION.

AIR CONDITIONING = PRESSURIZATION.

Perhaps a duct leak in the pneumatic system. That's some really hot air!

MM

Perhaps a duct leak in the pneumatic system. That's some really hot air!

MM
The issue with the airconditioning system involved a precautionary return to SNN and at no time was safety of flight affected.
Maintenance in SNN is handled by an FAA approved part 145 repair station.

they finally boarded and took off but the pilots noticed a leak in the air conditioning system 5 minutes after take off so they returned to SNN. Waited 5 hours for them to fix the problem. They boarded everyone, but then discovered they broke the luggage belts on the plane while fixing the air conditioning problem.

sky high states: Ok, what's up with all the MEL stickers all over the aircrafts? We have broken first class seats flying around with NO BACKS to the seats. Broken VIDEO players. An aircraft flying around with NO WATER for coffee, tea, wash your hands in the lav's. Broken water/waste button on the forward panel on an A321. Broken this, broken that. THIS AIRLINE IS MAKING A PROFIT AND WE ARE FLYING AROUND WITH THESE (BROKEN) PROBLEMS. <----WHY????

anyone else wanna add to the list?????????????????????????????????????

only stating opinions

The flight should be glad that the mechanic was sober yet, ya'll know they thought their day was most-likely done when the plane took-off! :shock:

Not sure what you are getting at...if it refers to the Irish it was not funny.

Well I'll tell you what he is refering to, When you get off the job, after a hard days work, wouldn't it be nice to have a drink?? I don't care if you Irish, Chinese, Puerto Rican, German, or American, if you work hard(especially if you work with, for or At US) then you are entitled to a nice cold what ever. :D

sky high states: Ok, what's up with all the MEL stickers all over the aircrafts? We have broken first class seats flying around with NO BACKS to the seats. Broken VIDEO players. An aircraft flying around with NO WATER for coffee, tea, wash your hands in the lav's. Broken water/waste button on the forward panel on an A321. Broken this, broken that. THIS AIRLINE IS MAKING A PROFIT AND WE ARE FLYING AROUND WITH THESE (BROKEN) PROBLEMS. <----WHY????

anyone else wanna add to the list?????????????????????????????????????

only stating opinions
You are only stating reality! Welcome to America West Airlines! How many times do I have to tell you all this???? Welcome to regional mgmt trying to run a global airline?? What do you expect?! The Soap Opera goes on and on........ :eek:

Ed Wade is having a tough week. He went parachuting yesterday and got caught in a tree. Front page on Philly.com now.

Well I'll tell you what he is refering to, When you get off the job, after a hard days work, wouldn't it be nice to have a drink?? I don't care if you Irish, Chinese, Puerto Rican, German, or American, if you work hard(especially if you work with, for or At US) then you are entitled to a nice cold what ever. :D
Yeah Thanks for the help, that is what I was implying. :up: