your best airline deregulation story

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
December 15, 1978 when President Carter tossed the CAB (his second best accomplishment after ceding the Panama Canal to the people who actually LIVE there..) and airline deregulation was born.

Absolutey the most stunning example I remember is People Express. Fares that were reasonable and a boon to consumers. Everyone is an owner/manager and is cross-trained. College backpackers take to the skies.
Great airline if they would've stuck to their knitting, but didn't. PE beat Ryan Express by twenty years.

Airline deregulation has been a terrific deal for consumers. Not so good for airline union labor.

Tip of the glass today to Alfred Kahn (last CAB chairman) wherever he is tonight!

You ever fly on people Express ?...............I have rathered of riden in the back of a chicken-hauling truck ,than fly on that cattle-car again ! :blink:

Yeah.............Woo-hoo..............deregulation ! :down:

Absolutey the most stunning example I remember is People Express. Fares that were reasonable and a boon to consumers. Everyone is an owner/manager and is cross-trained. College backpackers take to the skies.
Great airline if they would've stuck to their knitting, but didn't. PE beat Ryan Express by twenty years.

And yet in the end it was a poorly run company like alot of the other airlines that appeared practically overnight.