$10 Ticket Increase

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
Is there some law that requires airlines to announce everytime they raise their ticket prices. Why is it that the airline announces a minor fare increase only to reduce the fare a week or so later because the other airline won't follow. Seems to me if the airline wants to increase a fare by only $10, then just do it with announcing it to the world. That way the fare increase may just stick.

FM2436 said:
Is there some law that requires airlines to announce everytime they raise their ticket prices. Why is it that the airline announces a minor fare increase only to reduce the fare a week or so later because the other airline won't follow. Seems to me if the airline wants to increase a fare by only $10, then just do it with announcing it to the world. That way the fare increase may just stick.
Wow. Maybe you're right. They should have spoken to your first before issuing the announcement. B)

Then again, since every computer reservation system on the planet would pull up the cheaper competitors' flights FIRST, AA might have a hard time selling any seats at its new, higher prices. Every airline WANTS to boost fares (even WN) yet none want to do it if others won't go along.

Here's a good article on this very subject from earlier today:

http://biz.yahoo.com/fool/040730/1091194980_2.html

lol FWAAA.

I was a little confused by AA's action's with this hike, it seemed like $5 OW was added to every single high fare (F and Y fares, for example) but some markets had increases across all fare levels and some didn't. It would seem to me that perhaps the lowest levels should be bumped up $5 OW, and a few of the middle of the road fares raised say $2, and leave the "high yield" fares alone. I don't see how raising at $2000 fare to $2005 does much for AA's bottom line.

Not that it matters though, at this point I'd be shocked if this one sticks.

Back