100,000 LCC travelers stuck...

Interesting insight into the mind of Tempe. Out west G/A's start at $8.72/Hr and don't hang around as long so as a result they tend to be much younger. Trust me when I tell you that the younger folks couldn't deal with a command line system. Not that they are dumb it's a foreign way for them to do things. I've seen some of the "older hands" out west race through the QIK "Gooey" as fast as any SABRE command line wizzard.

The simple fact is that a QIK type GUI allows a new hire to become mediocre faster and since the pay scale is what it is out west not to many stay long enough to get past mediocre all the way to expert.

The East side is more of the opposite where you have highly skilled people who are all about gettin it done! For them a command line program is a breeze and a GUI interface while OK is not required for them to be extremely fast. As we've seen in PHL speed is an issue and there is just more volume. Every additional keystroke or mouse click is time wasted in a busy station like PHL, LGA, DCA & CLT.

IMO many of the US East folks inadvertantly shot themselves in the foot by not using the QIK overlay to practice on as it was cumbersome and the station busy. US east agents tend to be "Customer First, Company Second" in their mindset. West is not that way, partly because of the age differential and partly because Tempe has never had a cultural history of caring for the customer.

you are correct that a lot of agts didnet use the overlay to practice because it was so cumbersome and when you are on a time sched and its taking you 20 min to do something in qik that you know will take you 5 in Sabre....but us in intl couldnt even practice because our computers are common use for other airlines also and they couldnt figure out how to implement it so we had no chance to practice..... :shock: yes thats exactly how I looked on Mar 4.....all I want is to come into work and do the best job I can....I loved my job and its making me literally crazy that I can no longer provide the level of service that I am accustomed to
All of that said I think giving the G/A the choice of QIK or native SHARES is a sound idea. So count on it NOT happening because it means Tempe would have to trust someone other than themselves, even though they could take credit for the improvement!

Back