2011 Annual Leadershipship Conference

I doubt Doug would bother posting here in disguise - he's got plenty of ways to reach more employees than he'd reach here. I have no doubt that the view is different from a cubicle in the upper floors of headquarters than it is for the rank and file though.

Jim

Okay, hi Elise!

LUV's labor cost/ASM is much higher than LCC's and they don't have hubs in EWR, ORD, DFW, etc.
Not only are their pilots paid well, they're entire workforce is compensated well.
It's almost like their management 'cares' about their employees....imagine that: not being a 'cost item'....
Cheers.

Interesting you say EWR.
WN will be starting Service in EWR this Month Thanks to the UA/CO Merger where WN got 32 slots. In June, I Think, Southwest starts EWR-PHX . Wonder what will happen to the EWR-PHX service ?????? Prior to the Merger, HP ran a 1pm EWR-PHX flight that was always full. Maybe, just maybe, the little kids in the Tempe will consider bringing that flight back before retreating to the Sand !

AMEN, Bob!

Thank you for catching that subtle difference. For a change, I totally agree with your observations.

Aside from that, I would be curious to know how the various employee groups pay rates stack up against the NON-legacy carriers who don't have the much-vaunted "Big Hub" advantage. It seems that JetBlue, AirTran (before the SWA announcement) and even Spirit at least pay their pilots more than LCC. Do they pay everybody else more, too? If that be the case, then what's Tempe's excuse?

For how many years have I been calling them Liars, Cheats & Thieves? Hate to say I told you so, but I did

After reading thru About Us for 3/3, I can only get the feeling that Top Management is already prepping Local Mangers to start crying the Blues. I have a couple thoughts....

1- HOW MUXH DID THIS COST ??????? All Managers atteneded.
2- I heard that this Conference was almost word for word from last years with the exception of the Annual Loss in 2009 to a Profit in 2010.
3- No this is where I think Doug is already letting the Unions know, dont expect much.....
Doug cautioned that US Airways’ business model can only
work if all employees understand the differences between it
and those of other legacy carriers. Our three hubs are located in
solid markets with lots of connecting traffic. But CLT, PHL and
PHX all are smaller markets that produce less local originating
business traffic than Atlanta (ATL), Chicago (ORD), Dallas
(DFW) and Newark (EWR), where other legacy carriers have
their hubs. That results in a 13 percent disadvantage in adjusted
revenue per available seat mile. To overcome that disadvantage,
US Airways must maintain a similarly-sized cost advantage.

Now I understand that ALL Managers will have a follow up meeting with the Regional Directors withing the next Month or so, to let the Station employees know what kind of disadvantage we are at. So as All the contracts come up for negotiations, the Company is already posturing themselves for a dont expect much stance.

Thoughts ?

So, you guys whine about management not being trained, but when they train them, you get jealous that they got trained and whine about it.

All companies do this, its a best practice, there should be more all hands training like this.

And I have to fight tooth and nail to get stinking uniform replacemets!!!!\

I ordered 2 blazers/why 2? someone stole my blazer out of the breakroom..so station mgr decided not to reorder
blouses, since the first order size was out of stock...so bossman order LONG SLEEVES for the SUMMER>>

We work our asses off, sick calls NOT COVERED!!!! There is a MAJOR STAFFING PROBLEM....

We earn EVERY PENNY..DONT EVEN START TO SAY THEY ARE WHINING AND COMPLANING..

HAVE YOU EVER CALL CORPORATE? there is a department of everything you can think of.nose pickers, farters, jane and john numbers checkers entering and leaving the johns!!

IF THE SALARIES ARE TOO COSTLY, LOOK IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD!!!!!!

Get another job, no one is standing between you and happiness. Don't like it? Leave, take charge of your life, but, remember, if you don't like that, you won't have US to blame anymore...just yourself.

LUV's labor cost/ASM is much higher than LCC's and they don't have hubs in EWR, ORD, DFW, etc.
Not only are their pilots paid well, they're entire workforce is compensated well.
It's almost like their management 'cares' about their employees....imagine that: not being a 'cost item'....
Cheers.

LUV's total labor cost/ASM is about half a cent higher than LCC. You guys are very poorly paid.

Problem is, LUV's other operating expenses (excluding wages) per ASM are more than a whole cent less than LCC's non-labor operating expenses. When you're running a very efficient operation, you can afford to pay the employees very well.

LCC is a very low-wage, high-cost airline compared to LUV.

Bob Herbst has some great financial comparisons on his site: http://www.airlinefinancials.com/

So, you guys whine about management not being trained, but when they train them, you get jealous that they got trained and whine about it.

All companies do this, its a best practice, there should be more all hands training like this.

LOL.... Training !

RAH RAH RAH guess you were there Drinking The Kool-Aid too !

Contracts arent up, they become amendable, the IAM M&R are all ready in Section 6 negotiations with Fleet to follow later, and USAPA and AFA are all ready in negotiations, and I believe the CWA is amendable this year also.
Ok 700, i'm sure everyone knew what I meant. We are all under the RLA and contracts don't expire. As for IAM M&R, they started negotiations a year before the amendable date and Fleet Service will start in July, six month before amendable date. The CWA and FA's contracts are also amendable at the end of the year.

Cheers.

Pullup,

I could not have said it better myself. LUV does value their employees as assets rather than liabilities--which contributes quite a bit to their success.
This as also CO's philosophy pre merger, and it made them one of the best of the legacy carriers.

When you value your employees AND your customers, you have a much better chance at succeeding in any business...even this one.

If this (mis)management team can't see something on a spreadsheet they just can't understand it...they'd like to think outside the box, but the box they made for themselves is as big if not bigger than the whole company...

With proper management and a clear identity (they are still trying to be a hybrid LCC/Legacy which will not work), this company could be even more successful than it thinks it is today.

My BEST to you all...

Not at all unexpected. The management of this airline has put us where they want us.They have the cheapest pilot group in the industry and cry when they think they might have to pay industry standard. I don't think they realize that they have put us in the situation that most us don't care anymore. Our management has managed to pay themselves very well and the evidence is that they are not leaving, so how about paying the employees that actually do something productive what they deserve like SWA does rather than do everything on the cheap? To me the difference between the two airlines is that SWA managements is planning for the long term but usairlways management is planning for the short term and polishing up the apple for the quick sale.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob'
Plus 1000.

Mr. Parker can caution and talk all he wants.

There's a reality at work here.

If you can't pay industry standard wages and exist then obviously you can't exist. Expecting us to just soldier on for less is not an option.

Do your job. Other small companies manage it, LUV being the big example. Fix the inefficiencies, tie YOUR compensation to it and pay industry standard.

Otherwise, leave and let someone else do it. That you have been able to keep US alive during five years of bankruptcy contracts is not such a feat. Do it amongst the real market and then you have something to be proud of.

BTW, crying that your hubs are not as productive as your competitors when you pull out of one of the biggest markets in the world (NYC), close the hub, incur the expense of the closure as well as relocating employees?

Sorry, not buying it.

Sure, there are a lot of scared individuals that will roll over and accept your nonsense.

I'm not one of them, and there are enough of me around to get and STAY in your way.

Pay industry standard and learn how to compete in the real market.

Mr. Parker can caution and talk all he wants.

There's a reality at work here.

If you can't pay industry standard wages and exist then obviously you can't exist. Expecting us to just soldier on for less is not an option.

Do your job. Other small companies manage it, LUV being the big example. Fix the inefficiencies, tie YOUR compensation to it and pay industry standard.

Otherwise, leave and let someone else do it. That you have been able to keep US alive during five years of bankruptcy contracts is not such a feat. Do it amongst the real market and then you have something to be proud of.

BTW, crying that your hubs are not as productive as your competitors when you pull out of one of the biggest markets in the world (NYC), close the hub, incur the expense of the closure as well as relocating employees?

Sorry, not buying it.

Sure, there are a lot of scared individuals that will roll over and accept your nonsense.

I'm not one of them, and there are enough of me around to get and STAY in your way.

Pay industry standard and learn how to compete in the real market.
You want the industry wages???? then let's start acting like we deserve them. Our employees can't wear the proscribed uniform (as ugly as it might be, however, many people wear it and looked polished and some wearing the exact same uniform look like they rolled out of bed). Stop standing at the check in counter talking on your phone with customers waiting or walking through the terminal with a back pack strapped on and talking on the phone. We look like a joke.........and it's about personal pride, not about anything else.

Everyone blames this company on absolutely everything........a Leadership Conference???? Are you kidding me???? I worked for Xerox for years and every company has yearly meetings.............it's just not us..............get with it and stop blaming everyone else!!!

Back