4 hours?

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
"Rather than engage in a public relations battle, American Airlines has chosen to review the situation and put into motion plans to ensure passengers’ needs are addressed if such enormously challenging conditions occur in the future. Along with offering travel vouchers to inconvenienced customers, one major component of change was to revise our policy to ensure passengers do not remain on aircraft more than four hours on the ground."

- 4 hours???? I'd say 2.5 at most.
Any opinions?

"Rather than engage in a public relations battle, American Airlines has chosen to review the situation and put into motion plans to ensure passengers’ needs are addressed if such enormously challenging conditions occur in the future. Along with offering travel vouchers to inconvenienced customers, one major component of change was to revise our policy to ensure passengers do not remain on aircraft more than four hours on the ground."
- 4 hours???? I'd say 2.5 at most.
Any opinions?

I had a flight to CDG this month that took off 3 hours and 45 minutes after we left the gate. We were number 40 to get deiced and we waited all that time in a line of other planes. If we waited only 2 hours we would never have gone, everyone would have been inconvenienced more, and they probably wouldn't have been able to get home from the airport or find a hotel room anyway.

4 hours seems like it gives you enough room without being stupid.

I'm fine with four hours - maybe even double that - as long as I'm sitting up front. Delays happen. B)

But if I'm in 31E on an MD-80, anything longer than an hour is inhumane. :D

The more seat pitch and the wider the seat, the longer I can tolerate just sitting on the ground.

I'm fine with four hours - maybe even double that - as long as I'm sitting up front. Delays happen. B)

But if I'm in 31E on an MD-80, anything longer than an hour is inhumane. :D

The more seat pitch and the wider the seat, the longer I can tolerate just sitting on the ground.

Totally agree with you. I'd even take it one step further. ANY amount of time on a super 80 is inhumane. When I got thrown back domestic to fly those planes I wanted to slice my wrists and dunk my head in the lav flapper to just end it all.

Personally, everyone that is complaining now, will be just as unhappy when their flight is cancelled during the next winter storm. I agree that 4 hours would be the limit, but what happens to those people after that? Pilots and or F/A's go illegal and most likely in that event there won't be anyone else to continue the trip. Flight canceled, weather the reason and NO hotels or food vouchers. Problem might have been solved if they were still in line and off the ground in 5 hours. Now you have people pissed at the airlines for a whole different reason. A problem they themselves created. Airlines don't do this on purpose. They do it to try to get people where they want to go. Sometimes they try too hard. An example at AA Thanksgiving a couple years ago in ORD. Flights still waiting in line to leave at 0430!! I personally was on a flight to DCA that arrived at 0330. The new ORD-DCA allnighter. It worked though. Although people were REALLY late, they made it home for Thanksgiving as opposed to hanging out in O'Hare eating McDonalds. These new proposed rules might have had a drastically different outcome in that situation.