400 M & E Layoffs In Kansas City

I just found out that 14 mechanics as DFW may be affected by the STL/MCI layoff. It seems that they will be using their TWA seniority at JFK, which will cause a bump throughout the system. How can this happen with an agreement that no TWA person can displace an AA person? Here is the final decision.

http://www.twu565.org/letters/SENIORITY%20DECISION.htm

Award:

1. In the implementation of the above principles, no TWU-represented American employee will be adversely impacted in rates of pay, hours or working conditions by this seniority integration.

2. At TWA’s St. Louis hub and Kansas City maintenance facility, TWA employees shall be permitted to exercise their full TWA seniority.

3. At a city/station where TWA’s ASM contribution was ten percent (10%) or more when compared to the combined ASMs TWA and American had at that station as of April 9, 2001, TWA employees will be awarded twenty-five percent (25%) of their acquired seniority for purposes of bidding and advancement.

4. At a city/station where TWA’s ASM contribution was less than ten percent (10%) when compared to the combined ASMs TWA and American had at that station as of April 9, 2001, TWA employees will be awarded a April 10, 2001 seniority date for purposes of bidding and advancement.

5. As a result of the initial implementation of this Award, there will be no “system flushâ€￾, that is, displacement of presently working employees in the crafts or classes here under consideration.

6. A Dispute Resolution Committee will be established for purposes of hearing and resolving any disputes regarding the proper interpretation and implementation of this Award.

This Award was signed this 29th day of April, 2002.

Richard R. Kasher, Arbitrator

Crapdog said:
I just found out that 14 mechanics as DFW may be affected by the STL/MCI layoff. It seems that they will be using their TWA seniority at JFK, which will cause a bump throughout the system. How can this happen with an agreement that no TWA person can displace an AA person? Here is the final decision.

http://www.twu565.org/letters/SENIORITY%20DECISION.htm

Award:

1. In the implementation of the above principles, no TWU-represented American employee will be adversely impacted in rates of pay, hours or working conditions by this seniority integration.

2. At TWA’s St. Louis hub and Kansas City maintenance facility, TWA employees shall be permitted to exercise their full TWA seniority.

3. At a city/station where TWA’s ASM contribution was ten percent (10%) or more when compared to the combined ASMs TWA and American had at that station as of April 9, 2001, TWA employees will be awarded twenty-five percent (25%) of their acquired seniority for purposes of bidding and advancement.

4. At a city/station where TWA’s ASM contribution was less than ten percent (10%) when compared to the combined ASMs TWA and American had at that station as of April 9, 2001, TWA employees will be awarded a April 10, 2001 seniority date for purposes of bidding and advancement.

5. As a result of the initial implementation of this Award, there will be no “system flushâ€￾, that is, displacement of presently working employees in the crafts or classes here under consideration.

6. A Dispute Resolution Committee will be established for purposes of hearing and resolving any disputes regarding the proper interpretation and implementation of this Award.

This Award was signed this 29th day of April, 2002.

Richard R. Kasher, Arbitrator
[post="196645"][/post]​
<_< Dog----- I don't claim to be an expert on this matter, but it seems clear that #4 pretty much covers it! If you are refurring to # 5 and #1, of his rulling, I believe the words "initial implemantation" Says it all!!!! This award was implimented, as stated, back in April of 2002!!!!! And, if you are refurring to #1 of the award, as of the day a.a. surrendered TWA's Certificate, and TWA llc was no moore, we (a.a.'s redheaded step children) became" TWU-represented American Airlines employees!!!!!: :shock: :shock: :shock: STAND BACK FOLKS!!! THE SPARKS ARE ABOUT TO FLY!!!!

<_< Sorry! Sometimes I get excited about such things! The 25% award was number#3 of his rulling, not #4!! Results are the same!!!

MCI transplant said:
<_< Dog----- I don't claim to be an expert on this matter, but it seems clear that #4 pretty much covers it! If you are refurring to # 5 and #1, of his rulling, I believe the words "initial implemantation" Says it all!!!! This award was implimented, as stated, back in April of 2002!!!!! And, if you are refurring to #1 of the award, as of the day a.a. surrendered TWA's Certificate, and TWA llc was no moore, we (a.a.'s redheaded step children) became" TWU-represented American Airlines employees!!!!!: :shock: :shock: :shock: STAND BACK FOLKS!!! THE SPARKS ARE ABOUT TO FLY!!!!
[post="196683"][/post]​

I'm not an expert either but it seems like the words "initial implementation" refer to there being no system flush.

Initial implementation seems to be the key word in the Kasher award, but I'll defer to the experts.

The adverse impact clause only related to the "intitial" implementation of the seniority integration. If you will read further into the Kasher decision, he specifically discusses furloughs that are the result of economic conditions and how the AA employees should not be granted a "windfall."

One thing not being discussed is that since the award: the former TWA employees have an additional 3+ years of service that needs to be calculated on top of the 25% and 4-10-01 number subject to the initial award.

Example: on the date of the award, an STL AMT had 40 years and is now faced with furlough to the JFK "one station agreement" of JFK,LGA and EWR.

That AMT has 25% of the 40 years= 10 Adjusted + the interval between that date and today on a one for one basis. Allowing the Seniority to be calculated on the 25% on total seniority increases the hit. Looking at the rosters, it makes a difference.

<_< Boomer----------That's correct! 25%+ 3.5 years! Or in his case, 25% of 43.5 years! As it should be!!

MCI transplant said:
Boomer------I don't want to show my ignorance, but what is "the JFK one station agreement"??????
[post="196769"][/post]​

===============================================
"JFK" one station agreement.

For layoffs ONLY, JFK/LGA and EWR are considered as one station.

If a JFK amt is getting bumped from another amt from "outside" of JFK/LGA/EWR, he/she can see if their seniority can bump the junior amt who "resides" in LGA/EWR.

I think I've got that correct.
If I don't, others, wiser than me will !!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

<_< Bear------ Your up early this mourning! But thank you for the information! I suspected a much, but wasn't sure! I believe there are other stations out there with simular agreements.

MCI transplant said:
<_< Bear------ Your up early this mourning! But thank you for the information! I suspected a much, but wasn't sure! I believe there are other stations out there with simular agreements.
[post="196779"][/post]​

LAX is the same. BTW, how much company seniority do you have and are you planning to bump into another station. In any case, best wishes to you.

MCI transplant said:
[post="196779"][/post]​

===================================================

MCI,
JESUS, what happened ?? The Chiefs won today :shock: :shock:

And,
Was I correct about your "transplant" handle ??

NH/BB's

NHBB,

Not wanting to be disagreeable, but, per Article 46 of the "without further ratification" non-Union, Dues-Compulsory Current TWU M&R Contract:

ARTICLE 46 – ONE STATION AGREEMENTS

(a) The following nine (9) sets of two (2) or more stations will be treated as one station per set:

(1) Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) and Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH), the combined stations known as 1HO.

(2) John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), LaGuardia Airport (LGA), Newark Airport (EWR), and Islip Airport (ISP), the combined stations known as 1NY.

(3) Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD), Chicago Midway Airport (MDW), and Milwaukee Airport (MKE), the combined stations known as 1OR.

(4) Los Angeles Airport (LAX), Burbank Airport (BUR), Santa Ana Airport (SNA), Ontario Airport (ONT), and Long Beach (LGB), the combined stations known as 1LA.

(5) San Francisco Airport (SFO), San Jose Airport (SJC), and Oakland Airport (OAK), the combined stations known as 1SF.

(6) Washington Reagan Airport (DCA), Dulles International Airport (IAD), and Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI), the combined stations known as 1WA.

(7) Miami International Airport (MIA) and Fort Lauderdale Airport (FLL), the combined stations known as 1MI.

(8) Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW), Love Field Airport (DAL) and the Corporate office complex buildings of the Flight Academy, Learning Center, Centerport Headquarters, and SRO (GSW), the combined stations known as 1DF.

(9) Tulsa Maintenance Base (TULE) and Tulsa Airport (TUL), the combined stations known as 1TU.

(b) An employee who is based at any of these One Station Sets will be:

(1) Given preference over an employee from a station outside the one station set with respect to Bid Job Vacancies, Non-Bid Vacancies, and Reclassifications.

(2) Deemed to be based at the one station set in the event of:
(a) A surplus of employees at one station within the one station set when vacancies exist at other stations within the one station set.
(b) A reduction in force at one station within the one station set when there are no vacancies available at other stations within the one station set.
(c) A reduction in force at any or all of its stations.
(d) A recall of laid-off employees to any or all of its stations.
(e) Temporary assignments between stations within the one station set.

(c) Bid Job Vacancies

(1) A bid job vacancy will be filled by honoring requests of qualified employees for reassignment from one station to another station within the one station set. To be considered qualified, the employee must hold, as a result of having been selected as a successful bidder, a job in the same classification as the vacancy and involving the same requirements, including qualifying tests and completion of the trial period. The method for an employee to let his request be known is the same as outlined in Article 46(d), entitled Non-Bid Job Vacancies.

(2) Vacancies remaining after the requests have been honored are to be posted for bid in accordance with the requirements of the Agreement.

(d) Non-Bid Vacancies

(1) When a non-bid vacancy arises within the one station set, requests for lateral reassignment between its stations will be honored before transfer requests from stations outside of the one station set are considered, and before new employees are hired. An employee wishing to be reassigned should file a written request for such reassignment with his supervisor. All requests will be valid until the following January 1st and July 1st. Each January 1st and July 1st, a request for reassignment not submitted within the preceding thirty (30) calendar days will be voided, and it will be necessary for a new request to be submitted. Under this procedure, the Company will not require, as a condition of being eligible to request reassignment, that an employee have completed six (6) months of service in his current job; provided, that an employee will normally (except as set forth in the next sentence) be required to have completed his probationary period before being eligible to request such reassignment from one station to the other. It is agreed that the Company will recognize an approved (Union and Company) six (6) month waiting requirement waiver, if the Company is anticipating hiring off the street at the station or location.

(2) Selection to fill a vacancy will be made on the basis of the most senior qualified employee in the same status requesting the reassignment. Upon award, the employee will be reassigned within fifteen (15) calendar days, unless agreed to otherwise by the employee. Employees on medical restrictions are not eligible for reassignment to a vacancy under Article 46(d), unless qualified to perform all duties of the vacancy.

(3) If there are no requests, or an insufficient number of requests to fill all vacancies, requests for transfer on file from stations outside the one station set, as provided in Article 12(l), will be honored.

(e) Reclassification

If an employee is eligible for upgrading from one classification to another, in accordance with Article 12(m), this will be done within the one station set prior to offering the upgrade opportunity to an employee from a station outside of the one station set.

(f) Surplus Employees at One Station, Shortage at Another Station Within the One Station Set

(1) Where there is a surplus of employees at one station and a corresponding shortage of employees at another station within the one station set, the number of employees involved will be equalized through reassignment of volunteers, if any. Selection of volunteers will be made on the basis of the most senior qualified volunteers. If no employee volunteers or an insufficient number volunteer, then the selection will be made on the basis of the most junior qualified employee from the surplus at the one station to the shortage at the other station.

(2) If an employee who is the most junior of those who are surplus refuses reassignment to the station where there is a shortage, then the employee may accept layoff with recall rights to the original station of surplus, blended in seniority order with transfers from other stations within the one station set. An employee who accepts layoff as described above will not be afforded the provisions outlined in Article 46(g) or the provisions of Article 15 of this Agreement. The equalization of any employee surplus and/or shortage as between the stations of the one station set will precede the honoring of any requests for transfer to or reassignment between those stations as provided in Article 46&copy; and 46(d).

(3) Any employee who has station protection will not be involuntarily assigned to another station unless the employee has voluntarily left the protected station thereby forfeiting his station protection.

(g) Reduction in Force

If there is a surplus of employees at one station but no corresponding vacancy at the other stations, there is a surplus within the one station set, and a reduction in force becomes necessary to be made as follows:

(1) Lay off the most junior employee who is surplus within the one station set.

(2) The employee may accept layoff or exercise his seniority within the one station set or on the system, in accordance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Agreement.

It is understood between the parties that in the Crew Chief classification, the Crew Chief will have the option of displacing the lowest senior Crew Chief of the one station set or to exercise his seniority to displace a non bid position/vacancy at his current station.

(h) Recall

Employees, involuntary moved from one station to another station within the one station set as a result of a reduction in force, will maintain recall rights back to the original station. This recall will not be applicable to any bid job that was affected by a reduction in force. Vacancies existing after the preceding recalls have been processed at any station are considered a vacancy within the one station set, and the recall of a laid-off employee (one who left the one station set or separated from the payroll) will be to that vacancy and in accordance with Article 16.

(i) Expenses

Where an employee is reassigned from one station to another station within the one station set, whether by employee request or by direction of the Company, no expenses incurred as a result of that move will be paid by the Company.

(j) Temporary Assignments Between Stations

Employees regularly based at one station will not be assigned to work at another station within the one station set, except in the event of an emergency, alternate field operations, including current practices.

(1) When those assignments are made, employees will be regarded as working and will be paid their base hourly rate while traveling from one station to another station within the one station set.

(2) When an employee, regularly assigned to one station, is assigned to duty at another station within the one station set, his transportation costs will be reimbursed in accordance with the applicable Company policy.

(3) All assignments will be offered to the senior qualified employee from the station and work unit from which the Company determines the manning will be sent. If there are not enough volunteers, the most junior qualified employee will be assigned.

(k) Changes to One Station Sets

During the course of the negotiations leading to the signing of the current agreement, the staffing of certain cities by TWU represented employees was raised by the Union.

As a result of these discussions, it is agreed that periodic meetings between the Company and the Union, represented by the International Vice President, Transport Workers Union and the Senior Vice President – Maintenance and Engineering, American Airlines, will be held for the purpose of reviewing the long term implications of staffing in new cities by TWU represented employees. Any changes must be mutually agreed to by the parties.

Back