4Q Net Loss $541 Million

• Banned
The $220 million ex-special items is pretty much in line with estimates.

Jim

The $220 million ex-special items is pretty much in line with estimates.

Jim

It actually beat estimates. It is now up over 2%. If we would have bought at the open, we would have made a little money. Crude oil prices dropping drastically this morning didn't hurt, either.

• Banned
Dropped 38 cents initially, then the bargain hunters came in with buy orders.

Jim

Compared to what other legacies are reporting as 4Q losses, $541 million seems like chump change. While any loss isn't good, I'm happy to see we're performing better than DL or UA, both with over $1 billion 4Q losses.

Compared to what other legacies are reporting as 4Q losses, $541 million seems like chump change. While any loss isn't good, I'm happy to see we're performing better than DL or UA, both with over $1 billion 4Q losses.

In no sense of the word is US performing "better" than DL or UA.

For at least the eight consecutive quarter, US again trails the industry in unit revenue improvement. Yields actually fell in the fourth quarter and rose only 1.7% for the year. PRASM was up 1.6% for the quarter and 2.9% for the whole year. Every other legacy airline (plus WN and B6) outperformed US on those metrics.

In no sense of the word is US performing "better" than DL or UA.

For at least the eight consecutive quarter, US again trails the industry in unit revenue improvement. Yields actually fell in the fourth quarter and rose only 1.7% for the year. PRASM was up 1.6% for the quarter and 2.9% for the whole year. Every other legacy airline (plus WN and B6) outperformed US on those metrics.
And that will continue to happen...deterioration of the yields...since US has more or less kicked high yield and VFFers to the curb...and just taken the product to such lows, no one would actually "pay" top dollar for it...

I still love the idea of having to pony up $1,000 for a transcon, sit in the back and pay for your coffee and/or water.

For the love of God...how someone in Tempe doesn't see that disconnect will be like writing Chinese...soemthing I'll never be able to understand...

And that will continue to happen...deterioration of the yields...since US has more or less kicked high yield and VFFers to the curb...and just taken the product to such lows, no one would actually "pay" top dollar for it...

I still love the idea of having to pony up $1,000 for a transcon, sit in the back and pay for your coffee and/or water.

For the love of God...how someone in Tempe doesn't see that disconnect will be like writing Chinese...soemthing I'll never be able to understand...

If these idiots in Tempe would just wake up & see how much high dollar business they are driving away with this stupid crap instead of the $2.00 per drink they make & that's if they even sell one.

If these idiots in Tempe would just wake up & see how much high dollar business they are driving away with this stupid crap instead of the $2.00 per drink they make & that's if they even sell one.

Kind of disturbing that total revenue was down that much while bringing in more that 100 m in revenue from added charges.

Looks like the people that kept us in business during the other downturns(like Art and Bob) have left us with the priceline crowd. Going to get those F/As out there and sell, sell, sell!

Yields may be deteriorating but we still lead the industry in unit costs.....starting to sound familiar isn't it?

I'm still waiting for Parker or Kirby to have a frank, honest discussion about how, despite merging with a carrier with some of the lowest operating costs in the industry, US Airways somehow managed to inherit the wests' yield structure but none of their cost advantage.

I suppose that would be true if you just looked at total dollars in the loss column. However, that is a fallacious comparison. AMR, DL, and UAL are much larger than LCC.

Also, you have to look at net losses vs. gross.

AMR had a gross loss of $340 million, but that included $103 million in one time charges related to unexpectedly high pilot retirements. Excluding all special items, the loss was only $214 million.

DL, did in fact have a gross loss of $1.4 billion. However, $900,000,000 of that was a one-time charge related to "employee equity distributions." I'm guessing stock options/distributions. In any case, their net loss was about $340 million.

UAL had $1.3 billion, but excluding special items (in their case, mostly being upside down in fuel hedges), their loss was $547 million.

Take those losses and divide by the number of available seats for sale on all their routes--i.e., loss per available seat mile--and I think all 3 would compare more than favorably with LCC's results. Or, as the financial analysts do, show the loss as dollars per share. The othere still come out pretty good.

When you relate the net profit or loss to total revenue generated, we beat only UA and Air Tran. This per the presentation at the webcast this morning.

Our RASM underperformed the industry, mainly due to our lack of international flying. This is projected to reverse in 2009 due to projections that domestic will outperform international this year as an industry wide standard.

• Banned
Our RASM underperformed the industry, mainly due to our lack of international flying.

Yet WN, with no international flying, saw PRASM increase 11.4%. They managed a yield of 15.19 cents vs 13.36 cents for US.

The moral of the story - an all domestic airline beat US and airlines with greater international exposure beat US, so maybe it's just US and not where it flies.

Jim

Our RASM underperformed the industry, mainly due to our lack of international flying. This is projected to reverse in 2009 due to projections that domestic will outperform international this year as an industry wide standard.

Nonsense.

To compare, AA's domestic yield increased 6.2% in the fourth quarter. International yield was up 10.6. US' systemwide mainline yield was down. US is simply unable to charge more for what it does. Other airlines raised yields on domestic and international.

AA's mainline domestic RASM increased 4.8% and international increased 6.3% in the fourth quarter. Other airlines have reported similar results.

The problem facing US isn't a lack of international flying; it's a failure of leadership to figure out how to raise fares on the flying it currently does. Other airlines have increased yields and RASM. US has failed.

Back