500 Layoffs

Happy
Maybe I shouldn't have put that line in there. The thing that amazed me was that there were that many positions in admin and management.
You're forgiven. I think it's hard to imagine/visualize just how many positions are really at each location. I think(correct me if I'm wrong) you're visualizing managers and their admistrative assistants. This is not the case, at RWE there are 550 people alone, this includes all the departments that make up revenue accounting(I know everybody thinks refunds is the only department at REV ACTG but there are actually 8) and then there is the financial half of the building including payroll and fixed assets(and I have no idea what other departments are over there). CBRO, CNA, CHQ are included in this as well. So, no department/location is safe from layoffs.

You probably are, you just don't see it. There is social security(941s), state unemployment, state worker's compensation insurance, medical insurance; the list goes on and on. Usually the real cost to employ someone is a little under twice their income.

Autofixer, I know the difference between net and gross pay, and no no matter how you look at it before taxes or after taxes we don't make $2000 a month. $9 an hour times 40 hours a week equals $360 times 4 weeks equals 1440 and if you multiply that by 12 months you get $17280 dollars a year. SO EVEN BEFORE TAXES ITS NOT $2000 A MONTH!

Joe,
That's ok I'll stick to the pencil and paper. The headline read 500 to be laid off, not 5000. :up:
Oh now I see where the problem occured.

My post was not about how many were getting laid off. It was about using those numbers to figure out how many total employees fall under the category of non-union administration and management. I found it amazing that there are approximately 5000 positions if the 10% is accurate and that equates to approximately 1 out of every 7 employees.

I hate to see anyone get laid off be it 5 people or 500.

So I just checked out the US Department Of Labors website to see what they had to say about mass layoffs and found it very interesting. There is an Act called WARN that states employers with 100 or more employees (generally not counting those who have worked less than six months in the last 12 months and those who work an average of less than 20 hours a week) to provide at least 60 calendar days advance written notice of a plant closing and mass layoff affecting 50 or more employees at a single site of employment. Check it out at http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/termination/plantclosings.htm.
I'm assuming the loop hole is that the 500 positions currently being eliminated are at multiple locations, as all the previous layoffs have been.

So I just checked out the US Department Of Labors website to see what they had to say about mass layoffs and found it very interesting. There is an Act called WARN that states employers with 100 or more employees (generally not counting those who have worked less than six months in the last 12 months and those who work an average of less than 20 hours a week) to provide at least 60 calendar days advance written notice of a plant closing and mass layoff affecting 50 or more employees at a single site of employment. Check it out at http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/termination/plantclosings.htm.
I'm assuming the loop hole is that the 500 positions currently being eliminated are at multiple locations, as all the previous layoffs have been.

Ask the TPA heavy mechanics how well that WARN Act worked for them. :down: :shock:

Ask the TPA heavy mechanics how well that WARN Act worked for them. :down: :shock:
Really? That's so dis-heartening! How do they get away with this?

UWCactus Posted Today, 11:01 AM
We lost 5 in our area this week..first round over for us.

UW, glad to hear the first round is over for you and that you made it through. We're still dangling in the wind, not a word is being said. We know other departments have done it as quickly as possible, which is adding to our anxiety. People have already started packing their desks because the uncertainty is killing them.

Back