60 more pilots to be recalled?

ab320driver

Advanced
Mar 31, 2006
Heard from a usually reliable source that 60 more recalls are
to be announced as early as this week. He thought more would follow later this summer to staff the E-190. Anyone else heard anything? :up:

The pilot bid that's out for August has no recalls. I suppose something could have changed.

Personally, I expect more recalls later this year, between attrition and the arrival of the first 190's. I have no idea what the training timeline will be for the 190's, but wouldn't expect a class for line pilots before October since the first planes won't be here till November (assuming that nothing changes there either).

In other words, I expect recalls in conjunction with an October/November bid, but the announcement that there will be further recalls could be made any time before that.

Jim

Any feedback on EMB Captain interest amoung the current First Officers? Wondering about furlough recall chances here.

Just my guess from 15 years of doing these bids.....

The 190 Capt slots will be filled by currently active 737/A320 F/O's. Remember we're not talking about large numbers of positions on any single bid.

The 737/A320 F/O vacancies created and 190 F/O slots will go to recalled pilots.

This assumes that there's nothing announced that would cause displacement to the 190's for the currently active pilots - like losing more airplanes.

Jim

I just threw that in as a disclaimer. While I expect this year's Emb190 pilot positions will go as I outlined based on what's known today, nothing is guaranteed. Beyond this year, there's the possibility that more airplanes will be returned as leases expire.

Jim

Just my guess from 15 years of doing these bids.....

The 190 Capt slots will be filled by currently active 737/A320 F/O's. Remember we're not talking about large numbers of positions on any single bid.

The 737/A320 F/O vacancies created and 190 F/O slots will go to recalled pilots.

This assumes that there's nothing announced that would cause displacement to the 190's for the currently active pilots - like losing more airplanes.

Jim

Doesn't seem they will need a recall if these numbers are true.

Closure of CLT 767 International base

* Additional PHL 767 International flying and additional 757/767 Domestic

All Equipment:

+8 767 (International)

+14 767/757 (Domestic)

-4 737

-45 Airbus (narrow-body)

0 A-330

Those numbers are true - that's why there's no recalls on this bid.

We're going thru the same cycle we've gone thru several times. A change in the contract allows more "productivity", so we're "overstaffed" but not enough to justify the cost of furloughing. So the "overage" is pushed to reserve positions, mostly on the lower paying equipment (737/A320). Attrition slowly eat's up the "overage" and the reserve numbers get reduced. Once we get tight on pilots, something has to give (previously the contract, but hopefully that method has been exausted).

I expect that by the time the bids come out for the 190's (presumably Nov/Dec effective dates), they'll need to recall some more pilots.

Of course, anything could happen. The non-age 60 attrition could dry up. More pilots could return from disability than go on disability. Airplanes could leave. Whatever. As I said, I make no guarantees - just give my best guesses.

Jim

Those numbers are true - that's why there's no recalls on this bid.

We're going thru the same cycle we've gone thru several times. A change in the contract allows more "productivity", so we're "overstaffed" but not enough to justify the cost of furloughing. So the "overage" is pushed to reserve positions, mostly on the lower paying equipment (737/A320). Attrition slowly eat's up the "overage" and the reserve numbers get reduced. Once we get tight on pilots, something has to give (previously the contract, but hopefully that method has been exausted).

I expect that by the time the bids come out for the 190's (presumably Nov/Dec effective dates), they'll need to recall some more pilots.

Of course, anything could happen. The non-age 60 attrition could dry up. More pilots could return from disability than go on disability. Airplanes could leave. Whatever. As I said, I make no guarantees - just give my best guesses.

Jim

Don't forget that a portion of the EMB captain slots will go to the west. The west is overstaffed especially on FO's right now, this could play a factor on recalls.

While I realize that more planes can leave, do we know what the minimum number of planes that are required? I understand that since we are out of BK, there is a min fleet in place and the 190's don't count towards that number. Exactly how many planes can go away before we hit that min number??

Don't forget that a portion of the EMB captain slots will go to the west. The west is overstaffed especially on FO's right now, this could play a factor on recalls.

While I realize this will be "new" flying, I doubt they will put any 190's on the AWA certificate, since that certificate will go away upon integration. Putting 190's on the AWA certificate would be a tremendous waste of money. I'm sure Mngt wants them all on the AAA certificate, and if that's the case, only east pilots will fly them until the integration. That's just my opinoin and I may be wrong...

Any feedback on EMB Captain interest amoung the current First Officers? Wondering about furlough recall chances here.

Some fairly senior A320 F/O's that I know well are talking about bidding the left seat on the E190...

Also, though I cannot remember exactly, I believe the agreement after out last CH11, the company can park a fair number of aircraft without breaking/fudging the contract (yea, I know, has not stopped them before ;) before Sept.30-06.

Doug Parker has said that we will not park B737 one-for-one as we get the E190's...but times change...

SoftLanding

Correct, but when looking at this year's deliveries that's one of those unknowns at this point (unless something has been agreed to by the MEC's that I haven't seen).
Exactly how many planes can go away before we hit that min number??
That's another of those unknowns at this point. The transition agreement specifies that the new minimum fleet count will be set on the 1 year anniversary of the exit from BK.

Till then, the minimum for each operation is 80% of that listed on the fleet plans attached to the transition agreement.

On the anniversary date, the minimum will be set 10% below what's in the fleet at that point. As of now, the fleet is expected to be about 357 airplanes on the anniversary, so the minimum would be 321.

And you're correct, the 190's don't count toward the minimum fleet count (again, at this point in time).

Jim

I'm sure Mngt wants them all on the AAA certificate, and if that's the case, only east pilots will fly them until the integration. That's just my opinoin and I may be wrong...
You're correct that the 190's will go on the AAA certificate, however per the Transition Agreement west pilots are entitled a share of that flying. That means west pilots will be bridge-trained to the AAA certificate. Details TBD.

Back