733/735 Winglet Retrofit Program

CO738

Advanced
May 13, 2007
IAH
Does any one know how many Continental 737-300 and 737-500 units are scheduled for winglets? I suppose this means Continental intends on keeping their 737 classics in service for a while. How old is the average 733 age?

It will be cool to see the winglets on the 737 classics. I understand WN also has a similar program, but I have yet to see a 733 with blended winglets.

Does any one know how many Continental 737-300 and 737-500 units are scheduled for winglets? I suppose this means Continental intends on keeping their 737 classics in service for a while. How old is the average 733 age?

It will be cool to see the winglets on the 737 classics. I understand WN also has a similar program, but I have yet to see a 733 with blended winglets.
There are a few 300's that WN has winglets on, but just not sure how many. CO is going to do the 500's? That weird, I would think they park them before investing more into them.

There are a few 300's that WN has winglets on, but just not sure how many. CO is going to do the 500's? That weird, I would think they park them before investing more into them.

Yea, I read that non-leased 737-500s are being retrofitted for winglets. I am surprised, as CO does not use the 735s for longer hauls (which is where the economic advantages of the winglet really show).

Yea, I read that non-leased 737-500s are being retrofitted for winglets. I am surprised, as CO does not use the 735s for longer hauls (which is where the economic advantages of the winglet really show).

Hold you horses. The 737-500 are doing long hauls. As long as they go. For example YVR-IAH, EWR-ABQ, EWR-TUS, EWR-SLC. if those are not long hauls for that paticular aircraft then what is?? As for the 733 the only ones getting winglets are those with the extra fuel tanks. I think about 15 of them if I'm not mistaken. Also what understad its the lessors who are paying for the winglet instalation to avoid CO parking the 733 long range and 735. I personally think 4 1/2 hours on a 735 or 733 is a hell of a long time for that plane. :blink: remember no TV on the 735.

Hold you horses. The 737-500 are doing long hauls. As long as they go. For example YVR-IAH, EWR-ABQ, EWR-TUS, EWR-SLC. if those are not long hauls for that paticular aircraft then what is?? As for the 733 the only ones getting winglets are those with the extra fuel tanks. I think about 15 of them if I'm not mistaken. Also what understad its the lessors who are paying for the winglet instalation to avoid CO parking the 733 long range and 735. I personally think 4 1/2 hours on a 735 or 733 is a hell of a long time for that plane. :blink: remember no TV on the 735.

Really good point - When I think 737-500 for Continental, I think about their EWR - BOS, DCA, IAD, MDW, ORD, ATL flights. Although the 735 has better range capacity than the 737-300, I usually associate the -500 with Continental's short haul, high frequency service.

A question: if Continental parks their 737 classics, with they replace them NG's or reduce fleet size?

Really good point - When I think 737-500 for Continental, I think about their EWR - BOS, DCA, IAD, MDW, ORD, ATL flights. Although the 735 has better range capacity than the 737-300, I usually associate the -500 with Continental's short haul, high frequency service.

A question: if Continental parks their 737 classics, with they replace them NG's or reduce fleet size?

Well up to what I know of we have about 20 to 30 737-900ER on order to start rolling in in 2008 and I don't know how many 737-800 we still have on order. I beleive and correct me if I'm wrong, there are and 50 something '300's about 15 which they are slapping winglets on them and flying them to the ground. so if they park the other 35 or so we are really not losing if any planes at all. :up:

No TV, no problem. But then again, it sometimes keeps the kids quiet. Ah , Throw them in with the checked luggage. Maybe they'll get lost. :lol:

hey, GroundedBoricua, I am dying to get in with Continental - know of anything -- Houston based???

I just assumed that CO wouldn't be in a hurry to phase out 108 and 124 seat (am I right on those numbers?) planes for ones with 50-70 seats more capacity.

I am sure some open seats wouldn't cause a decreased profit/increased loss in the flight as the MX and fuel costs are lower with the NG a/c. However, it still seems like cutting 300s and adding 800/900s, even if they are on different routes may not be the best option.

Continental has such a superior product, I am surprised the classics haven't been retrofitted with the IFE. I always select the flight with the NG when I fly CO *just in case* they are actually showing a movie worth seeing (about 1 in 4 times).
Plus, you are right, it often shuts up the kids/ adults who act like kids.

The IFE is a big big big diferece in the amount of cal bell and people whinning you get. It may sound crazy but I'll prefer any a 737-300 with tv than a 737-500 that is newer and the lavs are not in the galley. Its just the IFE makes a differecne. Ohh and another note the 735 are not that old. I think the newest one is from 1997 or 1998. our oldest NG is about the same between 1998 or 1999. Weird huh.Our oldest 733 is 1986 which is better than 1981 where usair has theirs.

The IFE is a big big big diferece in the amount of cal bell and people whinning you get. It may sound crazy but I'll prefer any a 737-300 with tv than a 737-500 that is newer and the lavs are not in the galley. Its just the IFE makes a differecne. Ohh and another note the 735 are not that old. I think the newest one is from 1997 or 1998. our oldest NG is about the same between 1998 or 1999. Weird huh.Our oldest 733 is 1986 which is better than 1981 where usair has theirs.

I didn't realize that CO is flying 10 yr old -500s, I assumed they were all a few yrs older... Are you sure US has 1981 vintage -300s? US ordered the -300 in 1981, but first delivery was 1984 (US launched the -300 line).

I actually have a strong preference for the NGs, they feel more roomy and the IFE helps.

I didn't realize that CO is flying 10 yr old -500s, I assumed they were all a few yrs older... Are you sure US has 1981 vintage -300s? US ordered the -300 in 1981, but first delivery was 1984 (US launched the -300 line).

Well you could be right on that one but they sure look like they were from 81 or before. They are really nasty :unsure:

True. I flew a -500 EWR - BOS not too long ago - the plane was in good shape though. The (drunk) man sitting next to me (who consumed $25 in booze on 1:15 flight) was complaining that there is no live TV. Try jetBlue, buddy. For an hour flight, I don't need TV, but for the CLE - PHX leg, it was nice to have.

True. I flew a -500 EWR - BOS not too long ago - the plane was in good shape though. The (drunk) man sitting next to me (who consumed $25 in booze on 1:15 flight) was complaining that there is no live TV. Try jetBlue, buddy. For an hour flight, I don't need TV, but for the CLE - PHX leg, it was nice to have.
just go to Air Fleets and you can see when each plane was delivered and the average age of each model.

Back