$ 892.00 This Week For Isp-phl R/t

PHL said:
JS, being that you're from outside the great NE(according to your profile), and probably consider Islip and New York City one in the same, let us educate you.

Yes, you can take the Long Island Railroad from Ronkonkoma to New York Penn Station (about 70-90 minutes, depending on peak/off peak), and then connect to an Amtrak Regional or Acela (about 60-75 minutes, depending on train). Of course the LIRR and Amtrak don't coordinate schedules so the layover could be up to about an hour, making total city to city time around 3-4 hours. This is assuming that there are no delays on your LIRR or Amtrak segments, too.

The ISP-PHL flight is about 45 minutes in the air, plus another hour or so in airport foot time (check-in curb to arrival curb). So, there's a significant time savings flying - even on a rickety old Dash 8. Art's got it, just as JetBlue and Southwest do - the fares US charges on routes like this are ill-conceived.

Taking away the time factor, the train is a far more pleasant experience in terms of hassle and freedom to move around. Too bad the LIRR doesn't have a quicker route into Manhattan, because a lot of people in NYC might use it.
[post="284613"][/post]​

I should probably delete my location profile, because this is not the first time someone assumes that I know nothing about any geographic location other than the one in which I currently live. :rolleyes:

I used to live in NYC, and since then I have traveled to NYC, Philadelphia and even both in the same trip (I was cheap and took NJTransit and SEPTA between the two). I know what I'm talking about when I say that it's not that hard to take the train from Long Island to Philadelphia.

Yes, it takes longer, but it costs about 1/10th what US Airways charges.

Latest posts

Back