9 News This Am

mrfish3726

Veteran
Jul 7, 2004
Heard on Denver's 9 News this morning that congress is considering legislation to prevent UAL from dumping their pension obligations. Anyone heard anything about this? No news yet on Yahoo or any other aviation news website.

If it is true, looks like Uncle Sam is going to really put the hurt on UAL. If it happens, from my perspective the government wants UAL to survive on it's own. And if it can't it is willing to absorb the loss of a once giant company. They probably know that with the demise of USAIR and UAL some of the ills in the airline industry will start to cure themselves. This will be one to watch!!!!

Its true. JetBlue, AirTran, and America West have all lobbied congress that would not create a bailout for companies such as United.

Good, they shouldn't get a taxpayer bailout! Everyone knows, even the government, that UniTED is trying to get the taxpayer to bail them out of this dilema. The government will let them know then that it's do or die on their own. AS IT SHOULD BE!! :up:

mrfish3726 said:
Good, they shouldn't get a taxpayer bailout! Everyone knows, even the government, that UniTED is trying to get the taxpayer to bail them out of this dilema. The government will let them know then that it's do or die on their own. AS IT SHOULD BE!! :up:
[post="174355"][/post]​
But it probably won't be done in time to affect United's plans, according to James Klein of the American Benefits Council.

I guess the IAM, according to its leadership, doesn't think UAL should be able to dump its pensions because it has cash and assets of 7 billion. So, the company liquidates and still isn't able to cover its obligations. Does the IAM want to do to United what they effectively did with Eastern. Wasn't that the IAM that went on strike there and ended with the demise of the airline?

Seems to me the IAM should be taking a pro-active stance and working with the airline instead of working so hard to put it out of business.

Nothing of substance will happen in Washington before Nov and then for a while after that. UAL probably knows they have a window of opportunity in which to move... It is possible the PBGC will pull any number of delaying tactics even under the current legislation.

Spacewaitress,

The IAM is at least being proactive, trying to get the BK judge to denounce current management and appoint a trustee to oversee the BK process. It's more than what UAL management has been able to show the BK judge thus far. And from what has transpired the past few weeks, Judge Weidoff's patients with UAL management is wearing thin.

All the unions should all be more proactive and asked the judge to appoint a trustee to get the process rolling and see if someone else can put forth a plan that will make UniTED a survivor of the game. Everyday that passes; the more likely UAL will not survive. And with the congress possibly getting involved, they are showing UAL management that they really don't care if UAL makes it or not.

I've said this before, if U is allowed to dump their pension plan then all the other airlines will do the same. Taxpayers will rebel if they have to pay taxes for our pensions. We are talking thousands and thousands of people.

The Government will force U to liquidate, that way if the other airlines see if U dumps their pensions and cease to operate it will deture the them airlines from doing the same thing. U is walking a very fine line and playing a game here. They should be looking at ways to fund the plan. Investing in Goldmines. LOL.

uafa21 said:
I've said this before, if U is allowed to dump their pension plan then all the other airlines will do the same. Taxpayers will rebel if they have to pay taxes for our pensions. We are talking thousands and thousands of people.

The Government will force U to liquidate, that way if the other airlines see if U dumps their pensions and cease to operate it will deture the them airlines from doing the same thing. U is walking a very fine line and playing a game here. They should be looking at ways to fund the plan. Investing in Goldmines. LOL.
[post="174392"][/post]​

U already dumped their biggest DB plan, the pilots, right in the PBGC's lap. And believe me, U does not need the Government's help in being forced to liquidate....they seem to be doing a fine job of it on their own. Best. Greeter.

spacewaitress said:
Does the IAM want to do to United what they effectively did with Eastern. Wasn't that the IAM that went on strike there and ended with the demise of the airline?

[post="174375"][/post]​

The IAM did strike at Eastern. However, that in itself didn't sink the airline. What the company didn't count on was the pilots honoring the picket line, and that is what eventually sunk Eastern.

uafa21 said:
I've said this before, if U is allowed to dump their pension plan then all the other airlines will do the same.
[post="174392"][/post]​

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. You can't just dump your plan because it costs to much. You must show some sort of severe financial distress. i.e. Bankrupcy, and even that doesn't cut it sometimes, as we see with U and UAL.

mrfish3726 said:
Spacewaitress,

The IAM is at least being proactive, trying to get the BK judge to denounce current management and appoint a trustee to oversee the BK process. It's more than what UAL management has been able to show the BK judge thus far. And from what has transpired the past few weeks, Judge Weidoff's patients with UAL management is wearing thin.

All the unions should all be more proactive and asked the judge to appoint a trustee to get the process rolling and see if someone else can put forth a plan that will make UniTED a survivor of the game. Everyday that passes; the more likely UAL will not survive. And with the congress possibly getting involved, they are showing UAL management that they really don't care if UAL makes it or not.
[post="174387"][/post]​

Proactive.........LOL!!!

Machinists union spokesman Joseph Tiberi said the judge left the unions with no choice but to cooperate with United.
"Now we need to work together to find a less drastic answer to the pension problem," he said.

I would not trust any of these IAM robber barons any more than I trust UAL!!!

FYI, here is a good read:
United Airlines Goes After Frontier Stronghold

:mf_boff: UT

ITRADE said:
Its true. JetBlue, AirTran, and America West have all lobbied congress that would not create a bailout for companies such as United.
[post="174347"][/post]​

Hope we can get some legislation that would require these companies to start pension plans. Can not have it both ways. Oh wait you can if you claim you are an LCC.

mrfish3726 reminds me of Chip. He is a Frontier employee, yet loves to come over to the United board and spread his cancer. mrfish3726, you are nothing but negative. You left United, now leave the United message board. Focus on your own house of cards. Get over United and press on with your own life and let us worry about ours.

mrfish3726 said:
Spacewaitress,

[post="174387"][/post]​

I think you're confusing DESTRUCTIVE! with what I mean...which is proactive, which is CONSTRUCTIVE!

But thanks for the opinion nonetheless.

ual_tech,

United is just trying to catch up is all. There is plenty of Mexico business for everyone serving Denver. It won't hurt F9's bottom line any! The next few months are the slowest for every airline, so your flights will be no fuller than any F9 flight to Mexico. And just heard the news that UAL is going to furlough another 6K folks :shock: OUCH. Just wait till they start asking for more concessions B) . We aren't facing any of that at F9, this Thanksgiving and Christmas season will put F9 BACK IN BLACK :up: . And this next spring we'll probably get ANOTHER profit sharing CHECK. :up:

I figure the first furloughs United will go after will be more mechanics, since they want to continue to get out of the maintenance business. Probably shutting down the hangar in Denver I suspect since they are still going to be held accountable for ALL their Denver lease agreements. :shock:

Back