A Looming AMT Shortage?

Glenn Quagmire said:
Good post fa la la TI.

I agree with all you said 
We tend to agree on most things when we are not talking about politics. Funny how that works.

What did you major in?

Remember there is life after the Airlines!  My son's an AMT ----------, Currently in Washington State! 
10518646_739110409464183_6739452431167150569_n.jpg

MCI transplant said:
Remember there is life after the Airlines!  My son's an AMT ----------, Currently in Washington State! 
10518646_739110409464183_6739452431167150569_n.jpg
People are making money hand over fist in North Dakota. I bet they have a real use for people that are trained in and understand diesel technology, hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, and metal working. The truth is with an A&P skill set you could probably EASILY break 6 figures a year there. All it takes is the courage to seek out those opportunities. 

Vortilon said:

Of the ones remaining, half left - after a few months for greener pastures.  
Some were fired as well, their attitudes and abilities were so poor management realized they were a hazard to the operation and would be better off short handed. Ironically even those guys likely ended up in Greener Pastures. 

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
People are making money hand over fist in North Dakota. I bet they have a real use for people that are trained in and understand diesel technology, hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, and metal working. The truth is with an A&P skill set you could probably EASILY break 6 figures a year there. All it takes is the courage to seek out those opportunities. 
I agree but at 53 kind of stuck at the moment. One in college, another headed there when this one gets out.

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Additionally, they don't want people that are old and tired with bad attitudes that have broken down bodies.

Bob Owens said:
I agree but at 53 kind of stuck at the moment. One in college, another headed there when this one gets out.
DallasConehead said:
Additionally, they don't want people that are old and tired with bad attitudes that have broken down bodies.
I understand what you are saying. North Dakota is not an opportunity everyone can take advantage of. It is an option for some though. 

You may find that as the generational skills gap gets wider you may have more opportunities than you think... just a theory. 

La Li Lu Le Lo said:

You may find that as the generational skills gap gets wider you may have more opportunities than you think... just a theory. 
A theory I wouldn't bank on, I interviewed hard with some major energy companies a few years back (after 2010 went down in flames and prior to BK), even had letters of recommendation from solid career players on my way in the door. I showcased my skills and mechanical/electrical aptitude, they said I was qualified after taking their test(s), they would not have me. The only thing I can think of is my age because most of the guys I saw interviewing for the same jobs were a whole lot younger. Guys working on rigs out in the field or offshore face a very demanding challenges in terms of physical demands, family demands, (being on 2 week or 4 week rotations), and on top of that the demands the job itself presents.     So, my advice, before you leave and throw your ID at AA, go out and get the job first.

DallasConehead said:
Hey conehead! Stay put, and someday you'll end up as one of those,-------- guaranteed! From someone who's been there, and am old, tired, with a bad attitude, but the bodies still petty good considering to mileage it's seen!

Back