A/P mechanic jumpseating on AA

I'm not saying anything about it, theres one guy on here that'll accuse of staging and inciting a job action...

Why the continual piss & moan? The Pilots have an effective Union as do the Flight Attendants. The Mechanics have an Association...

F/A’s have to go to scheduled EPT classes, Emergency Procedures Training: if you sit in a Flight Attendant Jump Seat, you are expected to be able to perform the very specific requirements during an Emergency. The NTSB has documented that the actions of trained Flight Attendants have saved lives in the aftermath of incidents. The Flight Attendants that I know sling around terms like, “Trolley Dolley,” but they are the first to tell you that their job is more than slinging Coke’s and Peanuts.

Imagine the cost of getting every mechanic at AA qualified to perform the duties under an Emergency and evaluate that against the potential liability when an Attorney in litigation over an incident that incurred a loss of life begins to question the mechanics’ actions following said incident.

With respect to the Cockpit Jumpseats: have you ever tried approaching the Flight Crew with a simple request?

I’ve had cockpit crew ask me to ride jumpseat so they could get a family member aboard in Coach. This is a simple thing about communication and giving and receiving respect: this is not about a sense of entitlement or an abdication of our collective refusal as mechanics to achieve the Union representation we should own.

Don’t ***** About Everyone Else’s Deal: Make Your Own Damned Deal And Get Over It!

Reactions: jimntx and swamt
The APA and APFA effectively had jump seat for the members only installed in their contacts decades ago. Their unions did that while the twu were working out a leasing deal for our uniforms.

Based on the fact that in 2003 we had to give back half of our uniforms because that had monetary value.

With the flights so full, the pilots and FAs will never budge on that, and let’s be honest, their unions fight for their members and their needs, while the twu made it seem like a big accomplishment to give up monetary value in a contract to get polyester pants and shirts.

This is a dumb fight that will never come to fruition. No reason to Negotiate anything with jump seats for mechs. or any other employee to sit in a FA jumseat except for a APA or APFA member.

it’s in their respective contract even after bankruptcy

Why the continual piss & moan? The Pilots have an effective Union as do the Flight Attendants. The Mechanics have an Association...

F/A’s have to go to scheduled EPT classes, Emergency Procedures Training: if you sit in a Flight Attendant Jump Seat, you are expected to be able to perform the very specific requirements during an Emergency. The NTSB has documented that the actions of trained Flight Attendants have saved lives in the aftermath of incidents. The Flight Attendants that I know sling around terms like, “Trolley Dolley,” but they are the first to tell you that their job is more than slinging Coke’s and Peanuts.

Imagine the cost of getting every mechanic at AA qualified to perform the duties under an Emergency and evaluate that against the potential liability when an Attorney in litigation over an incident that incurred a loss of life begins to question the mechanics’ actions following said incident.

With respect to the Cockpit Jumpseats: have you ever tried approaching the Flight Crew with a simple request?

I’ve had cockpit crew ask me to ride jumpseat so they could get a family member aboard in Coach. This is a simple thing about communication and giving and receiving respect: this is not about a sense of entitlement or an abdication of our collective refusal as mechanics to achieve the Union representation we should own.

Don’t ***** About Everyone Else’s Deal: Make Your Own Damned Deal And Get Over It!
I worked at jetblue ,midway 1 and 2 and could jumpseat on all seats mechanics and maintenance controllers. We are all well versed in door operations and emergency equipment. At JetBlue we where welcomed into the flight deck and still do it. So does southwest airlines. So what is the deal with the apa and the afa?

You don't need EPT training to sit in a cabin jumpseat as a non rev. The flight attendants are trained and position themselves as required. If there is a open jumpseat then that means there is a flight attendant at the station already in another jumpseat to perform emergency evacuation if needed. It's all contractual or company policy why AMT'S can not fly FDJS or CJS.

Last edited:
I worked at jetblue ,midway 1 and 2 and could jumpseat on all seats mechanics and maintenance controllers. We are all well versed in door operations and emergency equipment. At JetBlue we where welcomed into the flight deck and still do it. So does southwest airlines. So what is the deal with the apa and the afa?
It's contractual.

Jump seats are in the respective contracts of the APA and APFA, and most flights in and out of DFW and all hub cities has commuting flight crew.

Seems like some people just don't want to accept settled contractual provisions...

Firsthand knowledge... as an A10, I flew several times on both the FDJ and CJ, but the stipulation was I could only do so if it didn't displace a pilot or flight attendant including OAL riders.

Latest posts