A pilot does...

a320av8r

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
When you see a pilot, he's not getting paid.
When you see a pilot going through the same security you go through, he's not being paid.
When you see a pilot walking in the terminal, he's not being paid.
When you see a pilot at the gate pulling up paper work, planning the flight, and conferring with the agent, he's not being paid.
When you see a pilot walking around the aircraft doing a preflight inspection, he's not being paid.
When you board the aircraft and look in the cockpit and see the pilots setting up the aircraft, they're not getting paid.
When you land safely at your destination and walk off the aircraft and see the pilots shutting down the aircraft, they're not being paid.
When you see a pilot waiting for a ride to a hotel for the night, he's not being paid.
The only time the pilot of your aircraft is getting paid is when you DON'T see him...when he's locked behind the cockpit door as you push back from the gate.
Everything else he does is for free!
The average airline pilot is at work for 12- 14 hours per day, yet gets paid for less than 1 - 7 hours.
The average airline pilot is away from home, at work, for 80+ hours per week, yet gets paid for only 15 to 18 hours per weeks work.
Most pilots schedules have them working 18 days or more per month...
that means 18+ days away from home- gone, they are not at over home half the month.
Holidays, weekends, birthdays, anniversaries, summer vacations- not at home- no holiday, weekend, or overtime pay either.
A majority of pilots have 4-year college degrees or more before they begin training as pilots.
A large number of pilots have spent 8 years or more flying in the military, risking their lives and protecting your freedom for wages most of you wouldn't accept in the civilian world.
Civilian trained pilots have spent $50,000 or more to acquire the training that qualifies them for a Regional Airline job, which pays a wage less than the poverty level in most western countries.
Most pilots do not attain the required experience level to be hired by a major airline until they are well past the age of 30. (The average age of a new hire airline pilot is 32.)
Airline pilots are subject to random drug and alcohol testing any time they are at work. Fail it and they lose their job.
Airline pilots are required to undergo rigorous re-training and certification every 6 to 9 months, if they fail they lose their jobs, licenses and livelihood.
Airline pilots are required to submit to random government "Line checks" during which their license could be revoked and livelihood destroyed.
Airline pilots are exposed to radiation levels far exceeding the normal safe radiation limits mandated by the FDA.
Airline pilots are required to submit to a government medical examination every 6 months for captains and international first officers and 12 months as domestic first officers, including an EKG. Fail that, and their career is over.
How many of you go to work where people try to kill you? How many of you have had your office turned into a cruise missile? How many of you work behind a bullet proof door?
How many of you are responsible for the lives of hundreds of people at a time, any small mistake in your performance resulting in the death of your customers (and yourselves), and the financial destruction of your company? No mistakes allowed! The excuse "I had a bad day at work" is never accepted.
Many pilots volunteer on their own time and own dime to be trained as Federal Flight Deck Officers to carry weapons to defend their aircraft, crew and passengers. They maintain their proficiency and qualifications twice a year on their own time and money.
How many of you go to work where you are searched, patted down and your personal items scrutinized by strangers, even though you can kill everyone in your place of work without weapons?
Airline pilot pay scales and hours worked are usually posted by absurdly overcompensated Airline Exec's who are waging a PR campaign against their Pilot Unions and trying to justify their own greedy bonus's and the pilots draconian wage and pension cuts.
Airline passengers don't care if their airplane is flown by the lowest denominator, as long as they can fly for next to nothing.
Of course, if they don't get to their destination, their next of kin can sue...

Any wonder why pilots are angry and not going to take it anymore???

Cry me a river, no one forces you to be a pilot.

And I guess you forgot the part of the six figure incomes you all make.

Wait, its not 'you all make'........ Not that many pilots make Six Figures!!!!

Economics 101. This has nothing to do with airline execs or any PR campaign against the unions. It's pure supply and demand - for every pilot opening at a major there 10 are pilots waiting in the wings willing to take the job for nearly any pay rate. It's still perceived as a glamor job and as long as it is there will always be more pilots looking for jobs then there are jobs.

If you are smart enough to be a pilot then I know that if you were running a business with your own money on the line, then you would make the same kind of business decisions that the airline execs you criticize make every day.

"Airline pilot pay scales and hours worked are usually posted by absurdly overcompensated Airline Exec's who are waging a PR campaign against their Pilot Unions and trying to justify their own greedy bonus's and the pilots draconian wage and pension cuts."
;)
Next you'll believe FOX Noise Network...

... six figure incomes you all make.

Ha! That was a good one. :lol: Six figure salaries. Ha! :lol:

Half the Mainline PHL pilots on Reserve are making between $40K and $70K---a little shy of six figures. Everyone of them have been with the company for at least 18 years.

$40K and 90 minute call reserve after 18 years with US Air. :down: Everyone has a sob story.

I agree the pilots don’t deserve any sympathy (the employees that deal with customers deserve it) but at least get your facts straight if you are going to break out the crocodile tears. :lol: There are plenty of stupid things pilots do---no need for you to fabricate things to booo them about. :lol:

The average airline pilot is at work for 12- 14 hours per day, yet gets paid for less than 1 - 7 hours.
The average airline pilot is away from home, at work, for 80+ hours per week, yet gets paid for only 15 to 18 hours per weeks work.
Most pilots schedules have them working 18 days or more per month...
that means 18+ days away from home- gone, they are not at over home half the month.
Holidays, weekends, birthdays, anniversaries, summer vacations- not at home- no holiday, weekend, or overtime pay either.

Now you can see where some of your VFF are coming from as well. I get to see my house and bed Friday night to Sunday night. Every month. I get no overtime and I can and have been onsite with a customer until midnight. Only to get up the next day early to get to work. Include the time I've spent traveling to the airport, flying with you and sometimes making connections and then having to go to work, then you can feel my pain as well. And I don't get a required rest period as part of my job description. My rest periods can take the form of grabbing a nap while you're flying the plane.

I can't make plans with family or friends on Friday evenings usually. I've missed birthdays including my own. I don't celebrate anniversaries because I'm not married and who could be with the travel my job requires. All my coworkers that are married suffer from marital problems and usually quit this type of job requiring 100% travel. And I missed the hospitalization and subsquent death of my 6 year old nephew because I had to travel for my job.

So do we need to have a pi$$ing contest? Because we both have professions that we kinda love or we wouldn't be doing it.

So get over yourself.

Funny before the paycuts a A330 Capt and 767 made well over $200,000 year.

And the blockholders do makes six figures.

I saw nothing in the OP that indicated it pertained only to blockholders or even only US mainline pilots.

For every pilot that makes a "six figure income", there's probably 100 that do not. Some qualify for food stamps. Yet the OP pertains to all of these pilots regardless of income.

Not asking for sympathy - it's a career we all choose knowing what it entailed. But don't be jealous of the income some make unless you're willing to walk in the shoes of those hoping to make the big bucks.

Jim

The reserve sitting by the pool reading Maxim - He's getting paid
The pilot walking off with his stuff after apologizing for a mechanical - He's getting paid
The pilot sitting on the ramp for 9 hours holding 150 people hostage instead of bringing out airstairs and a bus - Boy is he getting paid

There has never been sympathy for pilots and there never will be. Save your breath.

The pilot salary spans the full spectrum. I remember when we had the USExpress on the west coast, most of the young pilots shared living quarters and some rode a bicycle to work! It was hard to believe, but as a customer service agent, I made a higher salary than most of them!

The reserve sitting by the pool reading Maxim - He's getting paid
The pilot walking off with his stuff after apologizing for a mechanical - He's getting paid
The pilot sitting on the ramp for 9 hours holding 150 people hostage instead of bringing out airstairs and a bus - Boy is he getting paid

There has never been sympathy for pilots and there never will be. Save your breath.

Wow, I'd like to see a pilot who has a family that can afford a place with a pool, much less time to read Maxim. Must be on those airlines that actually pay their folks, like most any other scheduled airline.

Why would a pilot "apologize" for a mechanical? He "broke" the plane? He would be apologizing to the CP or FAA, not the mechanic. You really have no idea, do you? Should a mechanic appear to desire an "apology" I would think a simple reminder of "job security" would suffice.

At USAirways, my understanding is, the pilot has absolutely no control over whether he sits on the ramp "holding 150 people hostage". Perhaps you should notify those "hostages" so that they can sue the pilot for kidnapping them.........

Airstairs and a bus are completely controlled by operations/systems and not the pilot. Try again.

I agree with your last statement, only because the pilots union, in the past, never appealed to sympathy.

Remember, any pilot can transit "security" in the nude and still bring down an airplane, in the place they desire, should they choose. Don't forget and pass that thought around to your only friend.

Not true.

I average 6 to 8 segments a week. I want the oldest white haired person I can find sitting up front and I do not begrudge a dime you make. I put my life in your hands every time I fly.

Nothing makes my skin crawl as much as when I think about what has happened to the senior pilots at US and other airlines. I do not care who you are, taking 40% pay cuts hurt and I know, I’ve taken them. And yes I make as much or more than most pilots who fly for this airline.

How do you replace a pension you counted on for years only to find out two years before you retire it will not be there? Makes me quite frankly mad as hell at the inept management that has run US in the past who didn’t have a clue what they were doing.

As long as you have my life in your hands, you will get my sympathy and concern for your working conditions. And yes I also know that you are not getting paid when you are not sitting in the seat up front.

Back