A350 Entry into Service Pushed Back 6-Months

I know, I keep looking at this thread wondering if there will actually be a discussion about the A350...

I see the A350-800 is listed in the fleet plan in the US Airways website, but there is a wide range of seats. I would expect the configuration would be the same on them all... I wonder if this 6 month delay will effect our order. They are scheduled to come in 2017, would a 6 month delay keep rolling that long?

They have four -900s on order as well, that's why you see the range in seating.

I know, I keep looking at this thread wondering if there will actually be a discussion about the A350...

I see the A350-800 is listed in the fleet plan in the US Airways website, but there is a wide range of seats. I would expect the configuration would be the same on them all... I wonder if this 6 month delay will effect our order. They are scheduled to come in 2017, would a 6 month delay keep rolling that long?

I think the A350s were written off by the second page. Why would the A350 be on the US Airways forum anyway? They'll never be on the property.

What about the Air France A330 that took a nose dive into the Ocean after leaving South America!

The plane was upside down and the pilots didnt even know, so much for those computers keeping a Scarebus safe.
That has to be the most ignorant statement in this great thread....

Back on the AB vs. Boeing:

As a mechanic who maintiained the 744/75 and the A320 series, I really liked both. I worked on them on the line and in a hangar environment. As for ease of troubleshooting, the airbus was tops. As for structural integrity, Boeing had the best thing going.

On topic:

I see no reason why LCC would ever put the 350 in service.

Alright, alright guys... let's get the measuring tape and let's all whip it out to see who is the winner.

That'll settle it once and for all.

I started out with a long reply detailing how the Airbus can be hand-flown, forget it. If you never wanted to fly it, it's your loss.
I guess some pilots are also happy they never had to fly the Space Shuttle. To each his own.

Will the a 330 and the 350 be the same type rating

IMHO, I doubt they will be the same type rating. The A350 is technologically a generation (maybe two, by the time it actually gets built) removed from the A330. If anybody is pushing for a single type rating, it would be Airbus itself. Anytime an aircraft manufacturer can convince certification authorities to accept a single type rating for more than one aircraft model, it increases the saleability of the model due to decreased training costs for the purchaser.

Boeing sold the FAA a real bill of goods with the 767/757 type rating. The systems and handling of those two models are hardly similar. As far as handling, the A330 and A320 are closer (almost identical) than the 767/757, yet they require separate type ratings.

It is likely, IMHO, that the A350 will require a separate type rating, but that the training required will be of a "short course" nature for those pilots already having an A320, A330 or A340 type rating.

IMHO, I doubt they will be the same type rating. The A350 is technologically a generation (maybe two, by the time it actually gets built) removed from the A330. If anybody is pushing for a single type rating, it would be Airbus itself. Anytime an aircraft manufacturer can convince certification authorities to accept a single type rating for more than one aircraft model, it increases the saleability of the model due to decreased training costs for the purchaser.

Boeing sold the FAA a real bill of goods with the 767/757 type rating. The systems and handling of those two models are hardly similar. As far as handling, the A330 and A320 are closer (almost identical) than the 767/757, yet they require separate type ratings.

It is likely, IMHO, that the A350 will require a separate type rating, but that the training required will be of a "short course" nature for those pilots already having an A320, A330 or A340 type rating.

Seems strange, but unless they changed their minds, this seems to indicate that the 777/787 share a common type:

http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/fsb/b-787_fsb.pdf

I guess one day we will just get a type that says "Airplane" and go to 6 weeks differences training.

Who knows it may actually happen.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-networker/2011/05/us-airways-reveals-a350-configuration.html

Who knows it may actually happen.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-networker/2011/05/us-airways-reveals-a350-configuration.html

According to the above, the configuration will be A350-800 - 36 Envoy Class / 234 Economy Class A350-900 - 36 Envoy Class / 294 Economy Class. So much for going back to 42 Envoy seats. Wonder what the pitch in coach will be.

Airbus plans CCQ (Cross crew qualification from the 330 to the 350). http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/farnborough-the-a350-flightdeck---pilots-at-home-in-the-future-343771/

Airbus plans CCQ (Cross crew qualification from the 330 to the 350). http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/farnborough-the-a350-flightdeck---pilots-at-home-in-the-future-343771/

CQQ doesn't mean the same type rating.

The article talks about Airbus being able to sell it with the idea that crews can qualify in 10 days if coming from the A330. That's what US Airways calls "The Short Course" for going from the A320 to the A330, or vice versa. Nothing new there. If you take a type ride in an A320, you can go next door to the A330 and pass a type ride in that with no sweat. (Of course, you couldn't pass the systems knowledge test.) The type rides in the two aircraft are virtually identical, as is their instrumentation, procedures and aircraft handling characteristics. It stand to reason that the A350 would be engineered to mimic the A300 (which mimics the A320.) There will be a whole lot more A330 pilots transitioning to the A350 than there will be A380 pilots going to the A350.

Latest posts

Back