AA delaying start date of JFK-HND

damajagua

Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
AA just put out an email that they are delaying the start date of JFK-HND to March 1 2001.
The service was suppose to start January 20.

I wonder whats going on?

DL also asked for and rec'd the ssame startup delay. Preliminary reports from NH's flight are that bookings are soft. The winter is a difficult time to start any TPAC route.

Reactions: 2 people
I also read somewhere (maybe here) that the transit options to/from the city are not so great at the hours some of these new flights from the US will be arriving/returning. I don't think that's the reason for the delay, but it only takes one trip by a regular US-Japan traveler to be turned off by some bad inconveniences.

Air Canada is delaying (indefinitely) the launch of its daily YVR-HND flight:

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=409

Is their slot limited to solely to Canadian airlines or will USA-based airlines have the ability to bid for it?

Is their slot limited to solely to Canadian airlines or will USA-based airlines have the ability to bid for it?
You're here asking a question? Dang FWAAA, you're usually the one with all the answers. :)

From the linked article...
"As a result of lower than expected demand for planned Vancouver-Tokyo Haneda non-stop flights offering point-to-point service between the two cities, the launch of that route will now be delayed until more convenient arrival and departure times can be obtained (emphasis mine) that would enable customers to connect to flights at Haneda for onward travel to points within Japan and throughout Asia. "

I'm guessing they got crap for landing slots as well. So, what's to bid for?

From the linked article...
"As a result of lower than expected demand for planned Vancouver-Tokyo Haneda non-stop flights offering point-to-point service between the two cities, the launch of that route will now be delayed until more convenient arrival and departure times can be obtained (emphasis mine) that would enable customers to connect to flights at Haneda for onward travel to points within Japan and throughout Asia. "

I'm guessing they got crap for landing slots as well. So, what's to bid for?
Nearly all of the HND expansion slots that were made available to foreign airlines were at off-peak times which will limit connections.

I think this will be the first of a number of reductions in HND capacity as most of it cannot perform given the slot times.

Reactions: 1 person
It's not like the undesirable slot times at HND were a surprise - airlines knew about them and specified in their applications when they proposed to land and takeoff at HND.

AA was blindsided at PEK as the initial slot times were a complete surprise and a departure from typical Asian flight arrival and departure times.

As WT has indicated in the past, HND is not yet ideal for connections (other than intra-Japan flights) - if you can't make it work on Tokyo or Japan O&D, better to step aside and let someone else use the scarce assets.

The place for connections is on the USA side to fill the plane mainly with people who want to go to Tokyo, not the crowd that wants to connect to SIN, HKG, ICN, BKK and mainland China. For now, NRT flights are the better place for non-Tokyo bound traffic.

The place for connections is on the USA side to fill the plane mainly with people who want to go to Tokyo, not the crowd that wants to connect to SIN, HKG, ICN, BKK and mainland China. For now, NRT flights are the better place for non-Tokyo bound traffic.
[/quote]

That's right. NRT for connections, HND for Tokyo.