Aa Offers Relief In Hurricane Aftermath

B

B.O.B.

American Airlines, first carrier commercial or military to land at MSY after Hurricane Katrina

AA Offers Relief in Hurricane Aftermath

Just hours after the FAA cleared one runway in MSY to accept emergency flights, American was the first carrier --commercial or military -- to land since the storm, bringing relief to some of the thousands of employees and customers devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

Carrying 8,400 pounds of bottled water and non-perishable food on the way in, the flight was unloaded and returned to DFW as a rescue mission. In addition to a number of employees and family members, AA filled the plane with customers who had been stranded at the airport for days, after martial law was declared and flooding cut them off from the rest of the city.

"It took the efforts of many departments working together to pull this off so quickly," said Tom Del Valle, VP U.S./Canada Division, Customer Service. "From SOC, Crew Scheduling and Security to Customer Service, Flight and Flight Service, there was no shortage of volunteers.

"Everyone involved executed their jobs flawlessly. There was an incredible focus and determination to make this happen for our customers and fellow employees," continued Del Valle. "In less than 8 hours time, we located an aircraft, crew, and supplies -- airlifted them to New Orleans -- and returned with a full planeload of grateful people."

A team of management employees from HDQ Customer Service accompanied the relief supplies and unloaded the plane, where operations will not resume until early next week.

MSY General Manager Tina Moman and a group of employees remained at the airport throughout the storm, hoping to have American operational as quickly as possible. In the aftermath of Katrina's destruction, they have been instrumental in aiding customers who were stranded at the airport by the severe flooding.

Contacting and offering aid to all of American's 's our MSY employees remains a priority, and a hotline has been set up to offer information to employees who are directly affected by the storm. A company-wide relief effort, in cooperation with FEMA, is underway. More details will be available soon on Jetnet.

"Communication is still very difficult," said Trish Hollinrake, Eastern Regional Managing Director. "But we're reaching out to as many of our MSY team as we can get hold of. While we're thankful that so far we've learned of no casualties, we're hearing reports of widespread damage -- some have entirely lost their homes."

A number of employees, family members and customers filled the plane on the ride back to DFW. A special thanks to our counterparts at Northwest Airlines and US Airways, who pitched in to help manually check in passengers for the flight.

The ground team at DFW also did a tremendous job facilitating both the outbound and returning flights, all with very short notice. A team of nearly 40 employees met the flight back from MSY, paying attention to every detail to assist some very distressed customers.

"The devastation is just beyond comprehension," said Del Valle. "I'm glad we could offer this small measure of relief to the New Orleans community and help those employees and their family members who desperately needed to get out of harms way."

Great job AA

Given the trouble the aurthorities are having, especially with communications, I wonder of the airlines and FAA will become even more critical in the next few days. AA, WN and others seem to have acted with the speed and coordination that seems to be sorely lacking from the authorities who are supposed to be in charge.

I know its easy for me to criticise from a safe distance but still, I'm glad the airline industry has shown, to a small degree, what can be done in the face of adversity.

With MSY closed, Eagle has added extra sections into DFW-BTR, and now I see an AA extra section as well with a S80 for Friday (Flt 9245 DFW-BTR & 9246 BTR-DFW).

Former ModerAAtor said:
With MSY closed, Eagle has added extra sections into DFW-BTR, and now I see an AA extra section as well with a S80 for Friday (Flt 9245 DFW-BTR & 9246 BTR-DFW).
[post="295531"][/post]​

FLIGHT ATTENDANTS AND PILOTS,
Volunteers lists are now being made up for future relief flights into MSY. This is no pay, no credit, but for those looking to offer their time and services, it's definitely a way to get involved. Check HI6 messages for more info.

With only info that "one runway is open" and no tower, I commend AA and WN for sending their AC in for rescue and aid purposes.

Bravo AA :up: ,

It is wonderful that AA has extended its support to the victoms of this unfortunate tragedy. AA represents, and wears her colors well.... :up:

High Speed Steel said:
It is wonderful that AA has extended its support to the victoms of this unfortunate tragedy.
[post="295685"][/post]​

My thanks to AA for their rapid response. Free enterprise is often more nimble than red-tape-wrapped governmental entities and this is one more proof.

Former ModerAAtor said:
[post="295531"][/post]​

And DL has been running MD80 and 757 extra sections from BTR for several days. You can see the schedules at delta.com.

Word is that DL is donating the services of 3 757s for FEMA charters from MSY to Texas AFBs which covers 30 flights over the next 3 days. (FEMA might pay for the gas but the rest is "on the house")

Tell us how many charters and seats WN and AA operated for FEMA today...

WorldTraveler said:
Word is that DL is donating the services of 3 757s for FEMA charters from MSY to Texas AFBs which covers 30 flights over the next 3 days. (FEMA might pay for the gas but the rest is "on the house")

[post="296058"][/post]​

None for either one, and DL doesn't appear to be operating any, either.

B6, NK, and AC (yes, a Canadian carrier...) were reportedly selected by FEMA to fly evacuees out of MSY. All are using A320s or A319s. FEMA apparently didn't want 757's for some unknown reason, and it's likely that one or more of the carriers flying these decided not to ask for fuel in order to be the low bidder and get all the good press these brought. AA and DL's offers were said to be more or less identical -- donated crew time, but FEMA needed to pay for the fuel.

Former ModerAAtor said:
None for either one, and DL doesn't appear to be operating any, either.

B6, NK, and AC (yes, a Canadian carrier...) were reportedly selected by FEMA to fly evacuees out of MSY. All are using A320s or A319s. FEMA apparently didn't want 757's for some unknown reason, and it's likely that one or more of the carriers flying these decided not to ask for fuel in order to be the low bidder and get all the good press these brought. AA and DL's offers were said to be more or less identical -- donated crew time, but FEMA needed to pay for the fuel.
[post="296067"][/post]​

Corporate Mental State,

"Hey let's get some good press and get involved in the hurricane relief effort"

Is really has come to all about the "good press", the victims are secondary to the corporate vultures.

Ex Moderator,
You obviously aren't obtaining accurate information.

Delta was able to operate 3 757 flights from MSY to SKF (Kelly AFB) yesterday and is scheduled to operate 9 more today.

All flights can be tracked on one of several flight tracking websites. I'll give you a hint... DL's FEMA charters are operating under flight numbers in the 981X range.

WorldTraveler said:
Ex Moderator,
You obviously aren't obtaining accurate information.

Delta was able to operate 3 757 flights from MSY to SKF (Kelly AFB) yesterday and is scheduled to operate 9 more today.

All flights can be tracked on one of several flight tracking websites. I'll give you a hint... DL's FEMA charters are operating under flight numbers in the 981X range.
[post="296153"][/post]​

Accurate information is NOT important when it comes to AA Corporate Propaganda.

It only matters who believes it, not if it is accurate or not.

You are wrong FormerMod, United is flying people out also (on 757's) through the government program. This is not about publicity, it's necessity.

OK, looks like I got some bad information yesterday afternoon from a Jetblue employee who said the three carriers I mentioned were the only ones who got flying.

Either that, or FEMA didn't know what they were doing... which shouldn't surprise anyone after the past four days....

AA was assigned 24 trips with MD80's late yesterday.

American Airlines Flying Katrina Relief Missions Over Labor Day Weekend
All-Volunteer Crews Operate Flights to New Orleans
9/3/2005 11:44:46 AM

FORT WORTH, Texas, Sept 03, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- American Airlines dispatched three aircraft to New Orleans Saturday -- all of them manned by volunteer crews -- to pick up flood victims and fly them to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas.

American will fly similar missions Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Each MD80 aircraft will make two trips each day for a total of 24 trips. More than 3,000 flood victims are expected to be flown out of the stricken city as a result of American's four-day operation.

Captain Al Madar, who oversees American's daily flight operations and is coordinating all of American's flying with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), said everyone who works the flight is a volunteer.

"From the mechanic to the ramp worker to the pilots and flight attendants --- they are all volunteers," Madar said. "We've got a long list of American employees wanting to help in the effort."

American's airport manager in New Orleans, Tina Moman -- who was airlifted out of New Orleans on Tuesday when American flew the first rescue mission into the Louie Armstrong International Airport -- was on the first flight Saturday to oversee the ground operation there.

Current AMR Corp. (AMR) news releases can be accessed via the Internet. The address is http://www.amrcorp.com

SOURCE American Airlines

WorldTraveler said:
And DL has been running MD80 and 757 extra sections from BTR for several days. You can see the schedules at delta.com.

[post="296058"][/post]​

Leave it to World Traveler to turn this into a "Mine is better than yours" contest.

What a sad little man you are.