Aa Operations At Jfk During Power Outage.

upsilon said:
BFD, Kirpatrick No Way! Another Website- Yes, the AMR Corp website and its Press Release. The last paragraph gave it away. So it was easy to find.

Again - One Word: PATHETIC!
It's hard for me to make a personal judgment sitting on the sidelines, but I'm sure a lot of AA people busted their butts trying to make things work. As admirable as JB's performance has been, they aren't the only people who care about their jobs.

MK

Hello Wings; Your comments about New Yawkers are extremely exaggerated. You should try to understand that NYers have a knack for being over-demanding and always demanding the best. With some of the best transportation systems available to mankind 24/7, ( Jetblue included) it's hard to believe that all was not available to us in a 'NY minute .'

Yes, we can be ugly from time to time, and we're all quite proud of it. :up:

kirkpatrick said:
upsilon said:
BFD, Kirpatrick No Way! Another Website- Yes, the AMR Corp website and its Press Release. The last paragraph gave it away. So it was easy to find.

Again - One Word: PATHETIC!
It's hard for me to make a personal judgment sitting on the sidelines, but I'm sure a lot of AA people busted their butts trying to make things work. As admirable as JB's performance has been, they aren't the only people who care about their jobs.

MK
Kirkpatric,

Didn’t you work for TWA. When did you turn into such a turncoat. How can you try to come to the defense of AA. Don’t you remember what they did to the TWA F/As? How could you support a management that not only abused the TWA F/As but is now abusing AA F/As too? I have friends in both camps and the abuse is really bad. Are you so desperate to work for such an airline that you feel compelled to defend such action? You said that you voted yes for the contract that sealed the fate of all TWA F/As by putting them all on the street without any furlough pay. The F/A contract in place was never voted for and is just like the one if AA had gone bankrupt. Yet you are the first to try to defend AA with an article, "from another site," you couldn’t admit it was from the AA site written by AA.

The fact is AA shut down its operations at JFK after the outage on Thursday stranding thousands and operated only 4 flights on Friday. This only accommodated just "857" passengers. Compare the fact that under the same circumstances just 2 terminals away JetBlue accommodated nearly 40,000 customers on 240+ flights with just 22 canceled flights , not the 520 at AA. JetBlue was running a full schedule on Saturday. AA had to wait until Sunday. How many AA volunteers rush to the JFK to save the operations? None? At JetBlue hundreds showed up. Even JetBlues CEO and most of the senior management were there. Most stayed until 4:30am Friday morning to assure an over 99% completion rate of scheduled flights the day of the outage.

To try to say that AA, who operates 10% more flights at JFK than JBLU, got 4 flights out on Friday is an example, "that AA employees are capable of rising to the situation as well," as JBLU. When little JBLU operated 240+ flights the same day just goes to show that you have drank way to much of the AA koolaid. I have many friends that were former TWA FA’s who now work for JBLU and they ALL say they would never go back to AA. You seem to have loved working there.

How much money did you and AA make from fellow TWA F/As being a traitor, I mean trader?

Airlines9

WingNaPrayer said:
For an airline with only 46 planes, they're runing the piss out of their tin! That's an average of 8 (4 round) trips per plane, provided they are only counting JFK departures.
WingNaPrayer,

Here is a day in a life of an JBLU A320. It starts at 1am from LAS-JFK, Then JFK-PBI-JFK-ROC-JFK-MCO arriving MCO at 11:50 pm. How do you think our CASM is just 6 cents?

Airlines9

AAmech said:
Airlines9 said:
Dc10hound said:
Operations Return to Normal

That is why I hear dozens of times everyday at work from our customers how much, "they LOVE JetBLue." When is the last time anyone heard that said about AA?

Here is an article in the Post about it:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08172003/news/...alnews/3350.htm

Airlines9
We hear it each time they RETURN for another AA flight!
Dc10hound,

Even though JBLU has nearly doubled in size in just one year its load factor is running over 90%. It doesnt appear that there are very many customers "returning," to AA.

Airlines9

Airlines9 Wrote:

"Dc10hound,

Even though JBLU has nearly doubled in size in just one year its load factor is running over 90%. It doesnt appear that there are very many customers "returning," to AA.

Airlines9
"

Hey, I only made one post to this topic. I don't know why you addressed your post quoted above to me .

-hound

LGA Fleet Service said:
Airlines9 said:
At JBLU hundreds of, "crewmembers," ie employees, from all over NYC flocked to JFK to volunteer to help JetBLue keep its operations going. We were all contacted from the command center via e-mail.

That's odd, I live in Queens and had no power,much less an internet connection for 23 hours..tell me how "You were all contacted via e mail" again?

upsilon, Fox Yankee Sierra Hotel Read me there Alpha Hotel?

Take your B6 fetish and Fox Ocean.

Why'd you start this thread if you are going to give a BFD to anyone who dares to point out anything positive about the way we handled the situation?

Oh wait, silly me...the big bad Sky Nazis aren't capable of that are we?

Again,Fox Yankee.
LGA Fleet Service,

Odd, you say? Have you ever heard of generators? JBLU has a full yoperational Command Center in Forest Hills that has plenty of back up power. Not only did JetBlue keep its employees inform with more than hourly updates, they keep their customers informed as well. They sent each an e-mail and keep everyone informed via JetBLue.com and press releases.

As far as, "Oh wait, silly me...the big bad Sky Nazis aren't capable...," you said that and by the way they handle the outage it looks like you are right. Just 4 flights on Friday at JFK compared to JBLU 248. Looks like no contest. Just how did JBLU do it?

Airlines9

Dc10hound said:
Airlines9 Wrote:

"Dc10hound,

Airlines9
"

Hey, I only made one post to this topic. I don't know why you addressed your post quoted above to me .

-hound
Sorry hound. You are right it was ment for AAmech. Im having a bit of trouble with this new format.

Does anyone know how to edit a post after it is posted?

Airlines9

Airlines9 said:
WingNaPrayer,

Here is a day in a life of an JBLU A320. It starts at 1am from LAS-JFK, Then JFK-PBI-JFK-ROC-JFK-MCO arriving MCO at 11:50 pm. How do you think our CASM is just 6 cents?

Airlines9

Well, that's fine I wasn't aware that JBlu was in such a hurry to run it's tin into the same maintenance nitemares that the majors are facing, and are part and parcel to the financial woes they are in. I guess JBlu doesn't really know what "maintenance" is yet - they've yet to be hit with the big overhaul. But, keep pushing that tin to the brink - you'll find out sooner than you expected.

PS - I've flown you. Other than zip for leg room, JBlu is really no different than any other carrier flying the airbus.

WingNaPrayer said:
Airlines9 said:
WingNaPrayer,

Airlines9

Well, that's fine I wasn't aware that JBlu was in such a hurry to run it's tin into the same maintenance nitemares that the majors are facing, and are part and parcel to the financial woes they are in. I guess JBlu doesn't really know what "maintenance" is yet - they've yet to be hit with the big overhaul. But, keep pushing that tin to the brink - you'll find out sooner than you expected.

PS - I've flown you. Other than zip for leg room, JBlu is really no different than any other carrier flying the airbus.
WingNaPrayer,

You didnt notice the little TV's in the seat in front of you, thats a big difference. "Zip for legroom?" We have 3 rows with a 36" seat pitch and we are removing a row of seats by the end of Sept and all of our planes so we will have a 34" seat pitch. Who do you fly that has more room on their planes? Even at the now 32" Im over 6'2" and I dont have a problem. Besides our prices & service cant be beat. JFK-Florida for just $59 ow & $99 for the west coast. You couldnt drive it for that. Didnt you like the Tara Blue Chips?

Airlines9

Airlines9 said:
Odd, you say? Have you ever heard of generators? JBLU has a full yoperational Command Center in Forest Hills that has plenty of back up power. Not only did JetBlue keep its employees inform with more than hourly updates, they keep their customers informed as well. They sent each an e-mail and keep everyone informed via JetBLue.com and press releases.
Wow,

I am impressed. JetBlue actually placed generators at the homes of all of its employees and customers in order to enable them to receive emails and surf the web during power outages.

Silly me, I should have known that.

:rolleyes:

Airlines9, LGA Fleet Service also hasn't heard of receiving e-mail on a cell phone. TWAnr, It is not necessary to lug around a generator, because cells run on a battery!!

upsilon said:
Airlines9, LGA Fleet Service also hasn't heard of receiving e-mail on a cell phone. TWAnr, It is not necessary to lug around a generator, because cells run on a battery!!
One of the big news stories that came out of last weekend was how flabbergasted everyone was that their cell phones did not work during the power outage! It seems the transmission of those cell signals to the sattelites required electrical power.

Hmmmmm.

Airlines9 said:
You didnt notice the little TV's in the seat in front of you, thats a big difference. "Zip for legroom?" We have 3 rows with a 36" seat pitch and we are removing a row of seats by the end of Sept and all of our planes so we will have a 34" seat pitch. Who do you fly that has more room on their planes? Even at the now 32" Im over 6'2" and I dont have a problem. Besides our prices & service cant be beat. JFK-Florida for just $59 ow & $99 for the west coast. You couldnt drive it for that. Didnt you like the Tara Blue Chips?

Airlines9
Do NOT make me defend AA, you'll piss me off! But as far as leg room goes, yes, AA has that market fairly well cornered . . .for now. I'm not like most travelers I guess in that I do not let price interfere with my airline selection. I was never a fan of People Express, which other than the TV, is all JBlu really is. Speaking of those TVs, have you ever tried to watch or concentrate on it when the seat holder in front of you is fully reclined? Your tray table is down? The seat holder in front of you can't sit still, keeps fussing with the recline buttons?

Price and TV doesn't get my business. I flew JBlu out of FLL because I wanted to experience the airline - then I can know wherof I speak. All in all, it was just like any other carrier. Sorry, there was really nothing special about it. The people were EXTREMELY nice and they all seemed to be a happy group of employees, I like that. I hope it lasts for a long time to come.

However, without indifference to JBlu, you haven't had a ride until you've experienced putting your fanny in a first class seat aboard an AA777. ;)

upsilon said:
Airlines9, LGA Fleet Service also hasn't heard of receiving e-mail on a cell phone.
Cell phones do run on batteries, but the nodes, routers,transmission towers and other elements of the cellular network are dependent on electrical power.

Again, I find it remarkable that every single employee was able to recieve a signal and access the wireless web with all the increased traffic on the networks as the analog systems failed.

Latest posts

Back