AA to refurbish 757s; new seats, interiors, IFE

THE BAD NEWS IS THAT THEY ARE PUTTING LIPSTICK ON A PIG!!
WE SHOULD BE GOING BACK TO DOING REAL MAINTENANCE ON THE WHOLE AIRCRAFT BEFORE WORRYING ABOUT OVERHAULING THE INTERIOR. BUT IF THEY HAVE A NICE SEAT I GUESS THEY SHOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT THAT TIRE WITH CORD OR THAT SMALL HYDRAULIC LEAK OR THE DELAM ON THE FAIRING!! WHAT COULD THAT HURT????
:shock: :eek: :shock: :eek:

To be honest, the interiors of the 757s, I think, have always looked awful, with the tube-like effect of that very long coach cabin.

Too bad that AA did not opt for the configuration that TWA and Eastern had, with exit doors and lavs behind the wing, thereby breaking up the long cabin.
<_< -----From someone that worked on them, and flew on them, that center lav. was really a bad idea! They tended to stink up the whole aircraft!---- ;)

<_< -----From someone that worked on them, and flew on them, that center lav. was really a bad idea! They tended to stink up the whole aircraft!---- ;)
Instead of just stinking up the galley where food is prepared? Oh, I forgot! There is no more food.

I liked it. It divided up the cattle car, and provided better access to the lavs when carts were in the aisle.

MK

Yeah and American could have been out of business just like those two airlines!! :D

But, seriously, the long tube configuration originally allowed one more row of Y without sacrificing anymore of the tight legroom. So, AA naturally went with the tube-like configuration.
Liston friend!---- The reason TWA went out of business was because of greedy management that sucked the assets, and recsources, out of the company into their own pockets! It was "not" a failure of the Airline itself! :angry:---- :huh: You know! This is starting to sound familure! :shock:

Point of order... TWA went out of business because of a greedy OWNER. There's a world of difference with regard to Icahn as an owner of a privately held company and the CEO of a public traded corporation.

Liston friend!---- The reason TWA went out of business was because of greedy management that sucked the assets, and recsources, out of the company into their own pockets! It was "not" a failure of the Airline itself! :angry:---- :huh: You know! This is starting to sound familure! :shock:

Don't worry. Formeraa is an idiot for even making an asinine statement like that.

I get really tired of bringing up things that Eastern, TWA, Pan Am actually DID RIGHT, and getting the response, "Well that's why they went out of business."

These carriers were in business for well more than half a century. They certainly did quite a few things right along the way! And, too, we can also learn from their mistakes.

Instead of just stinking up the galley where food is prepared? Oh, I forgot! There is no more food.

I liked it. It divided up the cattle car, and provided better access to the lavs when carts were in the aisle.

MK

I agree. The TWA 757 (752) was much more popular with crews and passengers alike for that very reason.

Point of order... TWA went out of business because of a greedy OWNER. There's a world of difference with regard to Icahn as an owner of a privately held company and the CEO of a public traded corporation.
<_< ---- You point is noted, but not totally true!The beginning of the end started before Icahn. TWA's end started with Smart, and Trans World Corp! At that time TWA owned: Hilton International, Century 21, Spartan Foods, Canteen International, Hardy's Hamburgers, and other company's! All bought and paid for with Airline (TWA) money! Trans World Corp. was set up as a parent Corp., much the same as AMR is to AA, to manage the above Company's! Smart was not only CEO of TWA, but head man at Trans World Corp.---- The original idea of all this was they were to help the Airline out when times got bad for the Airline! That was the original idea!----- Well guess what? When times got bad for the Airline, Smart and Co. spoon TWA off, legally separating it from it's former assets! Leaving TWA to fly, or flounder, on it's own! Well, we kept it flying with what little resources we had left, until Icahn come along and sucked what little resources that remained out of TWA!----- :angry: The rest you know!

It's amazing how everyone MISSED -- totally MISSED -- my point! The fact is that AA could add 6 more seats! I remember some of the discussion and it all had to do with 6 seats. If we put in the mid-cabin lav, you would have to sacrifice a row of seats! Pax and/or crew, be d**mned, AA wants those seats.

As for TW, the trouble started WAY before Icahn (that was the unfortunate END of the story). In the 80's, TW management didn't adapt properly to the fact that other airlines were getting international route authorities.

As for EA, the airline couldn't find a way to make peace with labor. They were "America's Favorite Way to Fly" for a number of years in the 80's. They ordered the 757 years before anyone else. They had a lot going for them, but Frank Borman couldn't forge the labor relations needed to have a successful airline.

As for PA, it was a sad end to a once-great airline. If they had acquired anyone besides National, they would have been better off. They needed an airline with mid-continent hubs like NW or Republic or Ozark and strong traffic flow on the East Coast to business destinatiions (Allegheny).

As for EA, the airline couldn't find a way to make peace with labor. They were "America's Favorite Way to Fly" for a number of years in the 80's. They ordered the 757 years before anyone else. They had a lot going for them, but Frank Borman couldn't forge the labor relations needed to have a successful airline.
Sounds like USAirways today.....