AA/US Merger

damajagua

Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Is the AA/US merger in danger of not getting DOJ approval? I don't recall DL/NW and UA/CO taking this long.
The last few times that US tried to merge with United it failed. I don't know why but am getting the feeling that the AA/US merger won't get regulatory approvals.

Reactions: 1 person
what makes you think it is a take over? all the reports indicate it is a merger not a take over.. if you think its a take over then how would you describe dl-nw co-ua and fl-wn

They have said August/Sep all along. My guess is it is 99.9% likely to be approved the only question is how many DC slots they have to give up if any.

AA would go Chapter 7 within 2 years if it weren't for US management in charge. Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: 1 person
catcus how would aa go ch 7 in 2 yrs without a merger? that news to me i always thought aa was financially stronger more so than us im not tryin to knock you but your statement caught me off guard

Cactus was laid off or fired from aa that's where the bad attitude comes from. Wait till layoffs start again. His attitude will get worse as it happens again....

Reactions: 3 people
what makes you think it is a take over? all the reports indicate it is a merger not a take over.. if you think its a take over then how would you describe dl-nw co-ua and fl-wn
The WN and AT was a flat purchase. No merger, no take over due to dire finacials, etc... it was a buy-out to eliminate a competitor, to pick up international flying rather quickly, to grow 25% very quickly, and to attain the A/C and routes that existed within AT at a much more quicker pace. The US/AA combination (IMO) is more of a forced move that US forced AA into, not really a take over. AA never wanted to combine with US, just like no-one else did either, but basically, Parkers rather behind closed door deals with the unions and well as the creditors is what forced AA to submit to the combination. I would rather call it a "combination" but the general media (any time 2 airlines combine) always reports it as mergers, no matter how they really ended up combining. Even though SWA and AT was a flat out purchase, they still all called it a merger, when it wasn't a merger. The closest thing to a merger (IMO) was the UAL/CAL combination, even though it was only done to get away from the US/UAL combination. For some reason no-one wanted to combine with US thru-out the airline industry. I honestly think they all wanted (or maybe made a pact) to see US fall by the waste side and go out of bus and then suck up all the assests, routes, and aircraft on the cheap while eliminating another competitor. Now, AA is forced to do a combination with US and we will all see how it ends up in the long run, maybe there was a reason all along why no-one wanted to hook up with the ugly girl (US) and only time will tell. I would like to wish all of you involved in the combination of AA and US good luck and hope there will a minimum of relocations, hard aches, and any rifs.