Airbus Order - 320s, 330's, 350's

I still don't think there are been a clear answer about this issue. Are the A332's in this deal the A332's that were previously ordered and set for delivery in a year or two? Or are these on top of those planes so US would have a total of around 20 A332's?
i asked scot kirby about this today via e-mail . he replied and said that we did have a previous a330 order but it's legal status was uncertain so this is a new one.

not sure what all that means but that's the reply i got from him .

Is it me? Does anyone else find it somewhat amusing that the ONLY domestic carrier that uses a flag as part of their brand identity and advertising is soon to be the ONLY carrier to have their entire fleet manufactured offshore?

This is subject to mergers real or imagined.

Beg to differ with you, but many of the sub assy's that make up the A320 and the A330 family are US manufactures.
Regards
DC

i asked scot kirby about this today via e-mail . he replied and said that we did have a previous a330 order but it's legal status was uncertain so this is a new one.

I'm sure somewhere in the agreement with Airbus the "legal status" has been determined. They're just not going to make it public right now. DP said in his statement, I'm paraphrasing right now, that we have the rights to purchase more/other a/c from Airbus at anytime. I'm sure there is alot to this purchase order neither Airbus nor LCC are making public. But nice answer to the question...thanks etops.

disappointed also.. I like the idea of saving hundreds of millions of dollars, though. Maybe now they'll be able to give us back all our money. ;)

Are the 10 A330-200's in this announcement for 2009 in addition to the 332's that were already firmly booked? Or is it a creative way for the PR folks to make it seem like LCC bought more 330's when they already had them on order?
The same old creative BS. I'll tell ya these people sure are creative at one thing-- to bad it's not properly running an airline.

Guess you forgot about all the lav pans that had to be replaced due to corrension on planes less than two years old.

And the AD that affect all the engine pylons and the AD on the A330 Ladnding gear.

Shall I continue?

There is nothing I would like better than to joist with you over these issues, but the difference between you and I is that I will not run down aircraft in our current fleet and erode the confidence of our flying public just to win an argument. Like so many of our other employees, I face our traveling public every day...you do not. USAirways does not need your approval OR support for the decision that has been made regarding aircraft. The fact that you can spew this one-sided venom and try to scare people is despicable.

A320 Driver :down:

True....but I always thought UA made more sense. A merger between us and them would basically eliminate our need for PHL. Combining our DCA operations with their IAD operations would create a powerhouse hub operation on the East coast. We could move PHL operations to IAD/DCA and let PHL be someone elses headache. NW does also have it's advantages too...DTW, orient, A330.

DOJ/DOT would never let a combined UA-US keep both IAD and DCA. I still vote for NW.

Is it me? Does anyone else find it somewhat amusing that the ONLY domestic carrier that uses a flag as part of their brand identity and advertising is soon to be the ONLY carrier to have their entire fleet manufactured offshore?

This is subject to mergers real or imagined.

Bob,

Manufactured might not be the best word, assembled is probably closer to the mark. Go to Boeings 787 website and you will see that it is manufactured all over the world and assembled in Washington State. Comparing the Airbus and Boeing narrow bodies you would find the Airbus about 60% foreign vs. 40% American. The Boeing would come in around 40% foreign and 60% American.

Realistically we're talking about a 20% difference. Lots of American parts in the Airbus.

A320 Driver B)

I've seen this play from the merger playbook before. Piedmont had 767s on order, which USAir manipulated into a new order and basically removed them from the protections the arbitrator put around them during the seniority arbitration. By calling this a "new" order, the AWA pilots are entitled to a portion of the flying on these aircraft.

This is how management blows a kiss. Don't want to make anyone mad, but let's call a spade a spade and be honest about it. Colodny did it for HIS boys and now Parker is doing the same thing.

That's just the way it goes.

A320 Driver B)

Realistically we're talking about a 20% difference. Lots of American parts in the Airbus.

A320 Driver B)
Yeah, the 20% difference is in the Flight Deck, You wouldn't want to read the instruments in German or French? :lol:

Now that 10 A330-200's they ordered, are they the 10 from before or is it 10 additional? Either US' gonna have 19 or 29 A330s. Where is the 757 replacement?

Delete all of the above post. I just read the special edition of AboutUS:

Q. So what’s the grand total for new airplanes at US Airways?

A. The grand total is 150 aircraft set to be delivered. That includes 97 A320 family aircraft (including 37 planes from a previous order), 21 E190s, 10 A330-200s and 22 A350s.

So looks like this is the same 10 A330's that have been on order.

Jim

Delete all of the above post. I just read the special edition of AboutUS:

Q. So what’s the grand total for new airplanes at US Airways?

A. The grand total is 150 aircraft set to be delivered. That includes 97 A320 family aircraft (including 37 planes from a previous order), 21 E190s, 10 A330-200s and 22 A350s.

So looks like this is the same 10 A330's that have been on order.

Jim
That really doesn't help much unless they are not going to retire any planes (767's) for awhile. I like the 767 personally for widebodies. Every seat is an aisle or window or where there are only 20-25 center seats. I wished they would have went with the 787, get some 767 and 777's for the time being. I just hope it is still 2014 when they get them.

That really doesn't help much unless they are not going to retire any planes (767's) for awhile. I like the 767 personally for widebodies. Every seat is an aisle or window or where there are only 20-25 center seats. I wished they would have went with the 787, get some 767 and 777's for the time being. I just hope it is still 2014 when they get them.

I would not doubt it a bit to find that the team is getting some kind of kick back from this deal.

Back