Airline that accepts stretcher patient

flyer546

Jun 15, 2011
Does anyone out there know of any commercial airline that accepts stretcher passenger on board? I am trying to get my grandmother from Dallas, TX to Chicago. I know there are private companies that will do it. I found a company Air Ambulance 1 that has given me the lowest price so far but was wondering if anyone else has ever had a family member fly commercial on a stretcher.

I doubt seriously that is even legal because the few places on an airplane that would accomodate a stretcher can not have anything in them during taxi, takeoff, and landing. This is because such a place would be an aisle, an entryway, or a galley. All 3 lead in some way to an emergency exit. Nothing can block that route. Also, there is a Federal Air Regulation that all passengers must be seated upright for taxi, takeoff, and landing.

Air Ambulance, or similar, is more than likely the cheapest route. There are also ground ambulance companies that will transport over a distance, but Dallas to Chicago would require at least one overnight stop along the way. I'm sure the company would charge you for the rooms and meals for the drivers as well as the cost of gas, etc.

Latest posts