Airlines opening new cities, how do the pilots become familiar with challenging approaches?

flaflyer

Feb 8, 2006
When airlines begin flying to a new city/airport, how do the pilots familiarize themselves with landing at the new airport lilke US opening TLV? I wouldn't think that they would just operate the first flight with pax onboard,etc. Do they do a practice flight or at least jumpseat with another airline to learn the approach, especially for challening airports like some in Central America.

When airlines begin flying to a new city/airport, how do the pilots familiarize themselves with landing at the new airport lilke US opening TLV? I wouldn't think that they would just operate the first flight with pax onboard,etc. Do they do a practice flight or at least jumpseat with another airline to learn the approach, especially for challening airports like some in Central America.

In keeping with the AWA "cost neutral" model - they utilize MS Flight Sim from Rio Salado Community College.

AFAIK, unless it's an airport with especially challenging approach, there are no "dry runs".

Reminds of a TWA MD-80 flight I was on in the nineties. AFter the landing, I stopped by the flight deck to thank the pilots for nice flight. Turned out that F/O had made the (very smooth) landing, her first landing for TWA in an actual aircraft. All her training had been in the sim.

Pilots have to know how to perform instrument approaches procedures of all sorts, no matter where they are located. It is what we do. It does not matter if it is an ILS, GPS, VOR, VOR DME, LOC, LOC DME, LDA, LDA DME, ASR, etc. we have to be able to perform them autonomously and flawlessly the first time, every time. I can't tell you how many times I flew approaches for the Air Force into airports all over the world, for "the first time"--sometimes for the first time any Air Force pilot had ever been to that airport. It is what a rated pilot does. It is amazing that people still do not understand what a pilot does in his/her day to day job; but I guess that is how airline management wants it; it makes it easier to demonize us when the right time comes.

In keeping with the AWA "cost neutral" model - they utilize MS Flight Sim from Rio Salado Community College.

Nah..they only used that so the East pilots could practice the new callsign.

Regardless of how long the company has been serving the airport, pilots always review the area chart, arrival chart, approach chart, airport layout chart, and the company's specific information chart before departing. When I've gone to cities in Mexico that I'm unfamiliar with, I've checked them out on Google Earth. That way, I know what the surrounding area looks like as well.

Pilots have to know how to perform instrument approaches procedures of all sorts, no matter where they are located. It is what we do. It does not matter if it is an ILS, GPS, VOR, VOR DME, LOC, LOC DME, LDA, LDA DME, ASR, etc. we have to be able to perform them autonomously and flawlessly the first time, every time. I can't tell you how many times I flew approaches for the Air Force into airports all over the world, for "the first time"--sometimes for the first time any Air Force pilot had ever been to that airport. It is what a rated pilot does. It is amazing that people still do not understand what a pilot does in his/her day to day job; but I guess that is how airline management wants it; it makes it easier to demonize us when the right time comes.

I was with you until the last sentence!

East pilots don't need practice flying WIDEBODIES into any airports!

Happy 4TH!!!

East pilots don't need practice flying WIDEBODIES into any airports!

Happy 4TH!!!

Is the next posting going to be "and you mother has a mustache?"
Kids, school's out for summer.

Back