Airport Grab: Jet Blue Cramps T.W.A. Jewel

Oh, and one more thing.

This is definitely not something that should be blamed on jetBlue, whatever you think of that airline.

Airport capacity is very likely to be in high demand someday (hopefully). One just cannot responsibly let the apron capacity behind TWA to go unused to preserve a beautiful building, no matter how 'plebian' the airline tenant is.

Not expanding the gate capacity at that part of the airport is going to doom the Saarinen terminal faster than the Port's proposal.

----------------
On 7/31/2003 8:02:55 PM runway4 wrote:

An article in the New York Observer regarding B6, the PANYNJ, and the business community wanting to build a new terminal around the Saarinen terminal and the opposition by the Municapal Arts Society. The MAS wants T5 to be used as it was intended and not be designated as anything else (e.g. a museum, restaurant, office space, etc.).

http://www.newyorkobserver.com/pages/frontpage2.asp

----------------​

I've been to one of the public hearings on the new teminal design. This is a tough one. The Municipal Arts Society (MAS) heart is in the right place, but there is just no way that the Saarinen terminal can make it today.

One speaker stated that it was the building's karma to continue to be a terminal building sited on the apron. But that is just not correct. Even Saarinen himself recognized the fault in the TWA terminal design: it isn't expandable. Notice what he did at Dulles! The speaker brought up Dulles to support her argument of expansion, but it just put a precise point on the problem. TWA terminal is already obsolete. It cannot be a stand alone terminal for the expansion that is needed for whatever airline tries to operate out of there.

The Port's design isn't perfect, and it would be nice to see the Saarinen terminal have a role in the boarding or deplaining process. But all-in-all it's not bad.

I think the biggest deficiency in the new terminal design is its lack of recognition of international alliances. For example, I would expect that the new (5 and 6) terminal will not be just jetBlue, but rather a multi-airline terminal. Also, I think the design should take into account the automation transition in the airline industry. Perhaps the Saarinen terminal could be an 'express' terminal for depatures only. Only pax with no need to check bags or interface with an agent would access the terminal through the Saarinen building.

It's sad but true that the 'karma' of the Saarinen terminal building is to become obsolete. How to manage that in the best way is the key.

It must just be me, but I never understood the fascination of that building. It may have been ground breaking at the time, but now it juts reminds me of the 70's and looks dated. If it could be incorporated well into the masterplan, it would be another thing, but it really cannot.

Just my two cents!

I think if anything looks 70's and dated, it's T6. But at least with B6's polish and shine to it, it looks half way decent. If only those satellites could handle the crowds.

I agree with you there, although, T6 is a working building, so to speak. A lot of upgrades has been done and more to come. Of course, I might be a bit biased, since jetBlue calls T6 home :)

The TWA terminal is not a working building and as I said, never saw the great architectural value of it, although I am sure that is just me. Right now, it is merely a monument to something, of what I do not know. There is no doubt in my mind, that aviation will rebound and that the number of flying customers will only increase in the years to come. It would be great if the PANYNJ could plan ahead and use this opportunity to improve JFK.

As far as T6 handling the amount of passengers, I think jetBlue does a excellent job, even though the terminal could probably be better. Of course, having said that, having many passengers is a good problem to have:)

Latest posts