May 20, 2019
i traveled heavily for 20 years. i dedicated myself to american airlines only to be slapped in the face.
recently went online to purchase a ticket and found a fair priced ticket for a RT to europe.
when i went to pay for it, i realized by purchasing the lower priced fare, the platinum status i had gained
by traveling with american, was not valid.
in the past, as a platinum member, i could purchase an economy fare ticket on american airlines and choose my seat often with extra leg room. no longer is american holding true to the commitment of honoring the people who dedicated millions and millions of flight miles in expectation of getting treated with the respect they gave american airlines for years.
shame on you american airlines. your treatment of your die-hard customers shows you have no honor at all.

You didn't fly frequently enough, apparently. A die-hard customer would be flying a minimum of 50,000 miles a year, and with that, able to hit million mile status over a 10-15 year period under the old rules, especially if you used the Citibank card.

I flew AA and oneworld carriers exclusively for about eight years, and managed to rack up a million miles in seven. With that comes lifetime Gold status.

It's been almost five years since I bought a ticket on AA, yet my Gold status still shows up when I log into the website, which also includes free seat assignments.

i have flown over 3 million AA miles... platinum for life and its worthless now.
in the words of rodney dangerfield "i get no respect"
they changed the program by adding another class of tkt
if you purchase this tkt your status does not apply on all the benny's that counted
AA cheated me and everyone else in the category
AA cheats !! let me hear you say it !! #aacheats

i have flown over 3 million AA miles... platinum for life and its worthless now.
in the words of rodney dangerfield "i get no respect"
they changed the program by adding another class of tkt
if you purchase this tkt your status does not apply on all the benny's that counted
AA cheated me and everyone else in the category
AA cheats !! let me hear you say it !! #aacheats

No, you weren't cheated. You chose to buy the cheapest ticket available, which doesn't offer pre-reserved seating, and there's an old saying "you get what you pay for"...

If AA did offer free seat reservations on BE, every FF would be buying the cheapest fares and expecting first class service. That's not sound business.

You still get priority boarding and your free checked bag, BTW. Maybe you don't consider that as "all the benny's that counted" but being able to save on a checked bag fee and board early are indeed as valuable to some people as a seat reservation is.

you are wrong
thats what they used do... give pemium seats (in coach) to flyers with status.
i have always purchased the cheapest tkt and always given premium seat (ni coach) at no cost now they want to charge me for something they previously gave me.
i call that changing the rules
#aacheats

AA is not cheating. BEFORE the Basic Economy (BE) tickets went on sale, American made it clear in several announcements that this super low fare ticket had a number of restrictions--no refunds, no upgrades, no changing seat assignments, no carryon's that will not fit under the seat in front, no use of overhead bins, board last etc. If you did not bother reading these announcements because you assumed that you would still have your Executive Platinum privileges even though AA said clearly that you would not, well, that's on you, not AA.

The BE is an attempt to compete on price with the ULCCs like Spirit. Fly Spirit a couple of times and see if they care that you are or are not a repeat passenger. What they care about is that you bought a ticket on them which is non-refundable, non-changeable, non-upgradeable, etc and they have your money so fly or don't fly; it's all the same to them.:(

You might want to research the Delta and United Basic Economy fares and see if they offer upgrades and such to frequent flyers who buy the cheapest available ticket on the flight. I think you will find that they have pretty much the same restrictions.

Last edited:
I know that United doesn't offer upgrades or Economy Plus seats to Economy Minus customers... they can board in Group 1 or 2, but still have to take the seat they get assigned at check-in.