American Eagle

skyflyr69

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Arrived at gate 15 minutes prior to SKED departure. Jet bridge STILL attached, a FULL baggage cart STILL waiting to be loaded. Sunny skies in DFW today so no weather problems. Gate witch said flight is already closed out. I asked her to come to window to SEE the jetbridge and baggage cart. She says " SO"

I asked to talk to Captain for the J/S ( i was listed ) NOPE, Captain isn't in charge of flight she says. I say oh yes he is, she says sorry. What a -itch. its takes less than 60 seconds to REOPEN a flt at 3 different airlines that I know of. Needless tos say EAGLE and AMR captains need to take back THEIR authority for the jumpseat. 2nd time this has happened with EAGLE. AS usual EAGLE AGENTS STILL suck.

You would think a fellow industry employee would accomodate the same.

Arrived at gate 15 minutes prior to SKED departure. Jet bridge STILL attached, a FULL baggage cart STILL waiting to be loaded. Sunny skies in DFW today so no weather problems. Gate witch said flight is already closed out. I asked her to come to window to SEE the jetbridge and baggage cart. She says " SO"

I asked to talk to Captain for the J/S ( i was listed ) NOPE, Captain isn't in charge of flight she says. I say oh yes he is, she says sorry. What a -itch. its takes less than 60 seconds to REOPEN a flt at 3 different airlines that I know of. Needless tos say EAGLE and AMR captains need to take back THEIR authority for the jumpseat. 2nd time this has happened with EAGLE. AS usual EAGLE AGENTS STILL suck.

This is a joke right? I would suggest if you know the airline won't open a closed out flight JUST FOR YOU, get your fanny to the gate on time(30 mins prior to dept). Every airline has their closeout procedures and now you know that AE will not reopen, there should be no reason for you to experience this again. 2nd time? Seriously! AE agents don't "suck". They are hard working employees that have stict guidelines to follow and I'm sure breaking the rules for your self entitled late boarding isn't part of the deal.

If they wouldn't do it for a passenger why should they do it for a free riding employee? You would causing undue hardship to the agent, passengers on board and compromise the punctuality of future operations that day.

I've had good experiences with Eagle agents in BOS and JFK. MIA and ORD are awful and there always seems to be a problem. I remember flying to MIA-POS on an ATR last year when the microphone was broken and the agent yelled at passengers to be quiet and board the aircraft.

Overall, the airport customer service, telephone representatives and Admirals Club agents are among the best AA employees in my opinion.

Josh

This is a joke right? I would suggest if you know the airline won't open a closed out flight JUST FOR YOU, get your fanny to the gate on time(30 mins prior to dept). Every airline has their closeout procedures and now you know that AE will not reopen, there should be no reason for you to experience this again. 2nd time? Seriously! AE agents don't "suck". They are hard working employees that have stict guidelines to follow and I'm sure breaking the rules for your self entitled late boarding isn't part of the deal.
I am not bashing Eagle agents...But....Last September at DFW I was going to FAY. The trip was pretty full so I was watching on my phone and in the gate area early around 90 minutes. The revenue stand-bys never showed. This left 4 seats open. As I watched and waited I was never called and screen at the boarding area showed that boarding for this flight was complete. When I asked the agent about this he asked" Where you on the stand by list?" He did reopen the flight and put me on, it was the point the list was never looked at. I was the only non-rev.

And I'd think a fellow industry employee would understand when they won't...

Did you know what the load sheet had on it? Was there enough spread to accommodate another 150 lbs of weight that far forward, or were they perhaps carrying a lot of expedite bags from the last week? How about freight and mail that was also delayed/waylaid? What about fuel?

It's really easy to second guess the agents when you only see the airplane and not the whole picture...

And for the record, I was always taught Captain's authority ended at the aircraft as long as the jetway was on, and wasn't a safety of flight issue. Until then, it really is the agent's airplane. We'd always make it look like we were kissing the Captain's ass, but only so they would return the favor once in a while, and pop the ACARS breaker for us when we needed it (those days are long gone...).

Ultimately agents are the ones written up for delays accommodating passengers, not the Captain.

So back off, Skippy. She was probably just doing her job.

"And for the record, I was always taught Captain's authority ended at the aircraft as long as the jetway was on, and wasn't a safety of flight issue."

Until the flight deck crew arrives, that plane belongs to maintenance.

Hey Veteran, If its under MY control I arrive 1 hour prior. The words " MY CONTROL" do you understand this? Probably not, you assume everything runs according to plan. Must not be an airline employee. There is NO REASON why a closed flight can't be reopened. it takes 30 seconds for MOST airlines bu I guess AE needs the full 15 minutes to re-open a flight.

And I'd think a fellow industry employee would understand when they won't...

Did you know what the load sheet had on it? Was there enough spread to accommodate another 150 lbs of weight that far forward, or were they perhaps carrying a lot of expedite bags from the last week? How about freight and mail that was also delayed/waylaid? What about fuel?

It's really easy to second guess the agents when you only see the airplane and not the whole picture...

And for the record, I was always taught Captain's authority ended at the aircraft as long as the jetway was on, and wasn't a safety of flight issue. Until then, it really is the agent's airplane. We'd always make it look like we were kissing the Captain's ass, but only so they would return the favor once in a while, and pop the ACARS breaker for us when we needed it (those days are long gone...).

Ultimately agents are the ones written up for delays accommodating passengers, not the Captain.

So back off, Skippy. She was probably just doing her job.

you people just don't get it....... it takes 30 seconds to re-open a flight. SO, my "friend" at AE in another station looked into the history, load etc. 15 seats open !!! I rest my case. I long for the days 29 years ago when ANY airline person was accomodated. AE still sucks, at least that agent. Oh, and by the way the FAA will ALWAYS seek out the captain first. Read the FAA rules governing airline flights. So, your advocating pulling ACARS times which is a huge violation of FAA rules. I hope you get caught someday. So back at ya Petee.

you people just don't get it....... it takes 30 seconds to re-open a flight. SO, my "friend" at AE in another station looked into the history, load etc. 15 seats open !!! I rest my case. I long for the days 29 years ago when ANY airline person was accomodated. AE still sucks, at least that agent. Oh, and by the way the FAA will ALWAYS seek out the captain first. Read the FAA rules governing airline flights. So, your advocating pulling ACARS times which is a huge violation of FAA rules. I hope you get caught someday. So back at ya Petee.

No maybe you don't get it.. I have seen full paying pax at the gate at various airlines where the gate agent will not re-open a flight even with the jetway still connected and you seem to think you as a j/s a non-rev they should reopen a flight just for you? Does it suck ? yes but the agent is under no obligation to accommodate you especially if they have closed the doors. I know when I worked for NW the agents were always getting written up so thats why a lot of them close 5 mins early. If the capt had seen you he could have offered to take the delay to accommodate you if there was going to be a delay. Have you ever been an agent? You say it is only 30 seconds to re open a flight. I venture to say you don't know whats involved or the consequences to the agent of he/she does reopen the flight...

Hey Veteran, If its under MY control I arrive 1 hour prior. The words " MY CONTROL" do you understand this? Probably not, you assume everything runs according to plan. Must not be an airline employee. There is NO REASON why a closed flight can't be reopened. it takes 30 seconds for MOST airlines bu I guess AE needs the full 15 minutes to re-open a flight.
Yea, it is under your control if this was an originating flight for YOU. Need to leave the house earlier. If it was a connecting flight, then maybe, just maybe it wasn't under YOUR control.

35 years as a f/a. If I were still flying I would have 41. Is that enough airline employee experience for you? The only time I have asked an agent to open a door is for 12 full fare pax coming off a delayed flight in MIA and the STL flight was the last one out. They did and the pax were grateful BUT if they had not been able to do it I certainly wouldn't have come on a public website and started whinning. It is your type of actions that make it difficult for other employees. As previously stated, non rev (NON REV being the main point) travel is not a right. I personally don't use passes as I find travel in and out of STL not worth the potential savings. Bottom line, as a former employee and now full fare pax, I find your reasoning not valid.

Back