American Named North America's Leading Airline at 2008

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
American Airlines has been named "North America's Leading Airline" at the 2008 World Travel Awards, a travel industry award program that has been described by the Wall Street Journal as the "Oscars of the Travel Industry."

American received the designation this past weekend during a gala for North and Central America winners held at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla. Nearly 170,000 travel professionals around the world were solicited for their input, with their votes determining the winner.

In 2007, travel professionals at the World Travel Awards selected American Airlines as offering the world's leading Economy Class product. American is a founding member of the global oneworld® Alliance, itself named the world's leading airline alliance for the fifth consecutive year at last year's World Travel Awards.

story here

Im dumbfounded ....
this things gotta be rigged..
best y/c worldwide...O Pulease.
It is a sad indictment of the industry as a whole. Talk about a race to the bottom.

About 13 years ago I was working a flight from Paris to Miami. An older French couple in coach complimented me on how wonderful AA was and how superior the service was to Air France's. Across the aisle two Air France flight attendants were pass-riding and they started laughing and said they couldn't agree more. Fast forward to 2008: an old friend of mine from Paris came on American Airlines to give a lecture at the Univ of Miami. When I picked him up at the Miami airport and asked how the trip went, he said, "You know, Air France is really awful. But American is worse." I had to laugh at the irony. Race to the bottom indeed.

Art in Miami

For those who are dumbfounded, how many miles have you spent in the back on other international airlines?....

Biased I may be as a mileage whore, but I still find AA to be the most predictable service in coach. Business class is another story altogether...

I cant recall how many other airlines I have flown over the past 25 years worldwide. Some better that AA, some worse. What I lack in quantity of miles I feel I more than make up for in quality in an observation. I've been doing this for over 20 years, that perspective counts.

Over the last 10 years I have observed foreign carriers service and equipment evolve while I have seen ours continually erode.

As Art said, at one time AA set the standard in m/c...I just don't see that today. It truly is a race to the bottom.

still dumbfounded..
ac

Maybe there the best at pissing off the Unions.... Oh Wait that honors goes to NWA. I still can't figure out how they won it.

I cant recall how many other airlines I have flown over the past 25 years worldwide. Some better that AA, some worse. What I lack in quantity of miles I feel I more than make up for in quality in an observation. I've been doing this for over 20 years, that perspective counts.

Over the last 10 years I have observed foreign carriers service and equipment evolve while I have seen ours continually erode.

As Art said, at one time AA set the standard in m/c...I just don't see that today. It truly is a race to the bottom.

still dumbfounded..
ac

Most of my Intn' flying (as a pax) has been out of IOR and the service has always been fabulous! Even the one time I had to fly coach I was treated very well. Consistent every trip.

The poorly written press release says that AA won an award last year for the World's Leading Economy Class Product - for 2007, not 2008. This year, AA won the overall North American airline award (how hard was that - when competing against the other legacies?). I agree that AA coach isn't all that great, but perhaps the voters thought it was best in 2007.