Amfa And Long Term Disability

jake said:
CAVU,
Since you were the very first post on this thread and all the AMFA boys failed to answer you, I thought I’d at least address the question. There is NO evidence (that I can find) that AMFA offers an LTD plan of any type, at any of the carriers they represent. However, some of carriers they represent do offer LTD, but it’s not Union sponsored. Therefore, NO plan, NO bridge from AMFA! :down:
How about this AMFA at Mesaba LTD PLAN?

See AMFA/Mesaba Contract

http://www.amfanatl.org/Pages/10_Publicati...ba_Contract.pdf

Article 12 Paragraph H

Mesaba_LTD.jpg

Tell us again how superior the TWU's fully employee funded via payroll deduction LTD is to AMFA negotiated plans!

The TWU is going to BANKRUPT the working man while attempting save worthless and inept management!

CAVU said:
If AMFA wins, what happens to the long term disability that the TWU offers? Will AMFA offer their own plan? The vote can't be completed by the open enrollment period in October, so what kind of bridge will there be until the next enrollment period, and who will provide it?
I believe:
The LTD insurance policy(s) belong to the membership, not the union. The twu simply "administers" the policy.
If and when AMFA takes over representation of the M&R, they (we, the membership) can contact the insurance company that carries the policy and negotiate to maintain such policy on behalf of the membership.
In my opinion, the premiums should even go down because we would no longer have to subsidize the fleet service clerks who are more likely to suffer back and knee injury.

jake said:
CAVU,
Since you were the very first post on this thread and all the AMFA boys failed to answer you, I thought I’d at least address the question. There is NO evidence (that I can find) that AMFA offers an LTD plan of any type, at any of the carriers they represent. However, some of carriers they represent do offer LTD, but it’s not Union sponsored. Therefore, NO plan, NO bridge from AMFA! :down:
Boy, have they got you fooled. In your mind, just because it's "union sponsered" it has to be better?
Say it loud and proud, Jake...Baaaaaaaaaaa

RV4 said:
Some threads just never get a TWU advocate response, when so much truth and facts are posted! :shock:
Why bother responding? "You AMFA, rough and tough, I got where I am on my own, AMFA's advantage is (very)local control or (chaos)", won't ever accepst the fact that insurance, like LTD, is cheaper the larger the pool of peole covered.

Maybe if some of these folks who badmouth the present LTD, claiming they can do better privatley, would list the name of their insurance agent, then you may get some activity on this subject.

As it stands, AMFA wants to be contract negotiator, and other wise, dear associate, you are on your own.

So I need a contract negotiator, but when it comes to insurance etc, each individual is better off going on his own?

j7915 said:
Why bother responding? "You AMFA, rough and tough, I got where I am on my own, AMFA's advantage is (very)local control or (chaos)", won't ever accepst the fact that insurance, like LTD, is cheaper the larger the pool of peole covered.

Maybe if some of these folks who badmouth the present LTD, claiming they can do better privatley, would list the name of their insurance agent, then you may get some activity on this subject.

As it stands, AMFA wants to be contract negotiator, and other wise, dear associate, you are on your own.

So I need a contract negotiator, but when it comes to insurance etc, each individual is better off going on his own?

It appears to me that AMFA's NWA "shared cost" LTD plan and AMFA's Mesaba "company paid" LTD plan speak for themselves when compared to the TWU Sponsored "employee pay it all" plan at American.

I think most readers easily see the difference.

j7915, which plan do you prefer?

Dave(Mo) and RUM,

I found it educational to see that you chose to post “COMPANY SPONSORED†LTD plans in response to a question about “union sponsored†plans. I believe I stated that some carriers that AMFA represents offer LTD plans. However, the questions were “what would happen to the TWU sponsored plan? Would AMFA offer their own plan? And what type of bridge would there be and who would provide it? Dave, you imply that the NWA and Mesaba contracts provide an AMFA sponsored plan. The fact is that both of these carriers offer these plans to ALL EMPLOYEES, which proves that your statements are not true. The plans are not just offered to AMFA represented employees. AMFA didn’t get anything that some else doesn’t get. AA offers an LTD plan too. TWU chose to pursue the LTD plan because we didn’t want the company to control it and we could get better rates through negotiating with the insurance company directly, but its not mandatory coverage, however you must be a TWU member to take part. It is however, better than what the company offers as is attested to by the high number of enrollments. Additionally, your claim that TWU M&R could “get a better deal†on their own is a blatant lie! The fact is that percentage-wise, M&R registers more injuries than does fleet service. Fleet is actually helping the plan costs in this category. Once again, you pretend that these are AMFA sponsored plans, but they in fact are not. They are company sponsored plans that are not only provided to AMFA employees but to ALL employees. By your own ignorance, you’ve proved my post correct!

:up:

jake said:
Dave(Mo) and RUM,

I found it educational to see that you chose to post “COMPANY SPONSORED†LTD plans in response to a question about “union sponsored†plans. I believe I stated that some carriers that AMFA represents offer LTD plans. However, the questions were “what would happen to the TWU sponsored plan? Would AMFA offer their own plan? And what type of bridge would there be and who would provide it? Dave, you imply that the NWA and Mesaba contracts provide an AMFA sponsored plan. The fact is that both of these carriers offer these plans to ALL EMPLOYEES, which proves that your statements are not true. The plans are not just offered to AMFA represented employees. AMFA didn’t get anything that some else doesn’t get. AA offers an LTD plan too. TWU chose to pursue the LTD plan because we didn’t want the company to control it and we could get better rates through negotiating with the insurance company directly, but its not mandatory coverage, however you must be a TWU member to take part. It is however, better than what the company offers as is attested to by the high number of enrollments. Additionally, your claim that TWU M&R could “get a better deal†on their own is a blatant lie! The fact is that percentage-wise, M&R registers more injuries than does fleet service. Fleet is actually helping the plan costs in this category. Once again, you pretend that these are AMFA sponsored plans, but they in fact are not. They are company sponsored plans that are not only provided to AMFA employees but to ALL employees. By your own ignorance, you’ve proved my post correct!

:up:

Given that stupid logic, the complete labor agreement is "company sponsored" in your mind? So tell us, besides an out-of-pocket TWU sponsored LTD plan, what does the TWU offer us for two hours pay per month? It appears nothing more than what the "company sponsors"?

How do you obtain a "better rate" than a "union negotiated" company provided LTD plan that is a company paid for plan like Mesaba? Who's friggin side are you on anyway?

I thought we were working under "UNION NEGOTIATED" terms and conditions, not "company sponsored". That's for "informing" about the

Of course with the TWU, you may be correct, we obtain nothing more and nothing less than what the company offers! :shock:

Why does the TWU take credit for the "AA sponsored" pension plan?

Why does the TWU take credit for the "AA sponsored" er uh 5 Holidays we still have?

Information from most current LM2 for the TWU International:

Schedule 14 - Other Receipts
Long Term Disability Insurance Fee - $96,000

A kick-back?

jake said:
Dave(Mo) and RUM,

AA offers an LTD plan too. TWU chose to pursue the LTD plan because we didn’t want the company to control it and we could get better rates through negotiating with the insurance company directly,
AA's plan is not available to TWU members.
Hey, wait a minute. I thought you said the premiums would be lower with a larger group of people. So how could the twu, (30,000 members) get a better group rate than the entire company (100,000 employees)? :blink:
Doesn't add up, do it?

j7915 said:
Met-life would be the company and the cost is within a few cents of the twu plan for one person but the coverage is much better. I have had the plan for 3 years now. I don't feel like digging for it tonight but I know for sure that the payout was 10% higher and the time to wait for the money was half the months. I imagine if we went to them with 15,000 people we would get a much better rate than I got.

Mo,
Dude, you’re not very smart are you!? The TWU LTD is only available to TWU members, AA has nothing to do with it. If ALL AA employees were eligible for the TWU plan, you might have an argument. Unlike AMFA, the TWU tends to separate programs that WE offer OUR members from programs that management folks are eligible for. Conversely, the Mesaba plan is covered in the “employee handbookâ€. Therefore controlled by them and eligible to ALL employees alike (that’s some darn fine negotiating). Like I said before, since you seem not to be educated on LTD, maybe you should contact our local officers that are trained on the plan. They’d be more than happy to educate you on our plan. Just because the company pays, doesn’t mean it’s better. The TWU takes credit for the pension because, again it’s exclusive to TWU represented employees (i.e., the company people don’t get the same thing). It seems difficult for you to draw the line between union and company but I attribute that to your willingness to be dishonest, just like the company. Lastly, RUM I didn’t say that. What I said was fleet service has less injuries than does M&R, therefore they are helping hold down the cost.

jake said:
Mo,
Dude, you’re not very smart are you!? The TWU LTD is only available to TWU members, AA has nothing to do with it. If ALL AA employees were eligible for the TWU plan, you might have an argument. Unlike AMFA, the TWU tends to separate programs that WE offer OUR members from programs that management folks are eligible for. Conversely, the Mesaba plan is covered in the “employee handbookâ€. Therefore controlled by them and eligible to ALL employees alike (that’s some darn fine negotiating). Like I said before, since you seem not to be educated on LTD, maybe you should contact our local officers that are trained on the plan. They’d be more than happy to educate you on our plan. Just because the company pays, doesn’t mean it’s better. The TWU takes credit for the pension because, again it’s exclusive to TWU represented employees (i.e., the company people don’t get the same thing). It seems difficult for you to draw the line between union and company but I attribute that to your willingness to be dishonest, just like the company. Lastly, RUM I didn’t say that. What I said was fleet service has less injuries than does M&R, therefore they are helping hold down the cost.
jake,

Spin all you want, but a "company sponsored" plan free of charge, or least cost shared by the company is far superior to your TWU, fully funded out-of-pocket by the employee plan, anytime anywhere!

But hey, continue to claim otherwise, I am sure the readers can see the difference.

Maybe we could get a "TWU pension" plan that we have to contribute to via payroll deduction every two weeks, and you can also call it better than what we have now?

I bet you also think buying a week of vacation via flexed over benefits is better than a week we don't have to pay for via payroll deduction?

Latest posts

Back