Amr Continues Structural Changes

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Excerpted from Aviation Week & Space Technology article:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
American's de-peaking at Miami will be similar to but smaller than earlier restructuring at its Dallas/Fort Worth and Chicago O'Hare hubs. Effective May 1, the carrier will spread out operations by increasing flight banks from seven per day to 13. This will enable it to increase flights per day and reduce the number of aircraft needed to operate them. Connection times will lengthen, but some of this will benefit international passengers who have to pass through customs and immigration. Miami is American's principal gateway to Latin America.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim

Another excerpt from AWST:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airlines turned to de-peaking originally as a way of reducing these delays, and they pressed them further after the 2001 business downturn because of the attendant cost reductions and operating efficiencies. American Airlines found typical results at ORD in 2002, according to the Zhang paper. By rescheduling virtually all of 333 mainline and 180 American Eagle flights per day--everything except hourly service to New York LaGuardia Airport--the carrier reduced the mean aircraft ground time at Chicago by 5 min. and at spoke airports by 8 min.

"Schedule reliability increased and time spent in queue at runways decreased," the researchers wrote. "Labor efficiency also went up. Furthermore, [American] is now using five fewer aircraft (three mainline jets and two regional jets) and four fewer gates at Chicago."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim

And all our BOD and hand picked, reaffirmed mis-managers do is spout off about 'the plan', while scaring off future bookings and current cu$tomers.

Meanwhile, everyone else is implementing their's. Sheesh.

as a 7 yr employee, i have not yet seen a real competent mgmt that wants this airline to survive. in my opinion, i'd like to see this current gangsters of thieves of ccy reduce their pay instead of coming back to the employees. I believe it was Delta's ceo and their top leaders took deep paycuts recently! usair's incompetent mgmt thieves could learn a lot from some of the other airlines!

BoeingBoy said:
Another excerpt from AWST:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airlines turned to de-peaking originally as a way of reducing these delays, and they pressed them further after the 2001 business downturn because of the attendant cost reductions and operating efficiencies.
I'm still waiting to hear from someone in CCY why we aren't implementing this for the next schedule? I believe we are only finalizing March schedule now so this could be implemented as early as April correct? Why are we waiting to do something to help the bottom line now? What's the holdup? Seems like every little bit would help at this point. Can someone explain this? It makes it look like they arent interested in anything but employee $'s when there are things that could be done to help the bottom line and they are being grossly ignored. Anxiously awating Hawk, Doit, Fly, Truth or Analysts response. (But not holding my breath.) :p

tadjr wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear from someone in CCY why we aren't implementing this for the next schedule? I believe we are only finalizing March schedule now so this could be implemented as early as April correct? Why are we waiting to do something to help the bottom line now? What's the holdup?

Nothing will be done without concessions tied to it. This isn't about a plan,it's about the concessions.

Mike W said:
tadjr wrote:

Nothing will be done without concessions tied to it. This isn't about a plan,it's about the concessions.
EXACTLY! Little Davy knows he will go on to another airline after he leaves UAIR; one way or the other. Top management is taking a long term look at labor relations. They know that if they destroy labor at UAIR, it is only a matter of time until they can beat up labor at other companies. It is only about the concessions. There is no plan. UAIR will be allowed to fail if necessary to get the second round of industry leading concessions. <_<

Autofixer, I just don't buy that, all of the legacy carriers are hurting. If it were as simple as everyone makes it sound on this forum all the legecy carriers would be profitable overnight. Times have changed and the legacy must change with them or they will go away. I listened to Dave's USA Today interview and thought it sounded very positive. I have no problem with concessions if that what it takes to survive. I would much rather fly for less than do something else I don't enjoy for less.