AMR Execs Snub 9/11 Memorial Dedication

WingNaPrayer

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
EYW
Visit site
Gone and Forgotten! AMR Executives Snub 9/11 Aircrew Memorial Dedication

APA Communications Committee:

On the Fourth of July, AMR executives again publicly embarrassed everyone associated with American Airlines by their heartless decision to not attend the dedication of the 9/11 flight crew memorial in DFW. After that dreadful morning that shook our nation, rocked our industry and took from us 17 members of our own AA family, we took an oath to never forget.

Demonstrating the disdain and lack of value they place on pilots and flight attendants, not a single AMR senior executive or the Vice President of Flight chose to attend or recognize in any way the 33 aircrew members who were murdered in the line of duty.

To add further injury to how little regard AMR managers have for employees (even those killed while working), SWA founder and CEO "Emeritus" Herb Kelleher attended and even publicly wept during the reading of the crewmember names. He graciously rebuffed the media and deferred interview requests, wanting to keep the attention on the dedication20of this long overdue memorial finally recognizing this select group--the very first victims lost in the line of duty.

AMR's absence did not go unnoticed. Plane Business Banter editor Holly Hegeman wrote a column about the memorial dedication entitled "Where's Gerard?" She states that "…considering the occasion, and considering what an impact these events had on the airline and its employees, where was American Airlines Chairman and CEO Gerard Arpey?" She continued with "… this dedication was literally, just down the road from Gerard's house… His absence is inexcusable."

In spite of the obvious snub by AMR, the ceremony was awe inspiring and moving. The event began with a missing man flyover formation of T-28 Trojans led by AA Captain Chip Lamb. There were several moving speeches and a reading of the two AA and two United flight numbers and the names of all their respective crewmembers. More than one thousand people attended--family members of aircrew victims, hundreds of current and former ai rline employees--and as the drum beat tolled off the names of those lost, the tears flowed. 9/11 Flight Crew Memorial Foundation Founder and AA Flight Attendant Valerie Thompson perfectly summed up the feelings of those in attendance when she referred to the memorial and the crew members lost as "…first taken, last remembered, now honored."

Were they invited? Did they decline an invitation? Where was UA?

Surely someone here has the real scoop?

When I read this, a question came to my mind.

Which was...

...Why was this done on July 4th and Not September 11th?

Gone and Forgotten! AMR Executives Snub 9/11 Aircrew Memorial Dedication
Surely someone here has the real scoop?
My guess is the Executives feel they have gotten all they are going to get out of 9-11. They probably had more important things to do and went to the links instead. Besides July4th is a HOLIDAY, they dont work Holidays-we do.

When I read this, a question came to my mind.

Which was...

...Why was this done on July 4th and Not September 11th?

It was done on July 4th so that family members of the victims would be able to attend. Most family members choose to spend 9/11 at the WTC site or Pentagon or in Pennsylvania.

What a bunch of idoits at HDQ. Wonder what they were doing.....
Probably what most people who dont work for the airlines and didnt lose someone on 9-11 were doing-PARTYING.

Like I said I guess they feel they have gotten all they are going to get out of 9-11 and they arent going to put any more time towards it.

I was working for half pay on July 4th.

Consider the source. APA got to spin what should have been a solemn event & turn it into political fodder for their membership...

Had Arpey been present, he would have been accused of turning the dedication into a photo op & shameless attempt to show he cares about employees.

Why is this in DFW? None of the crews were based there, right?

Consider the source. APA got to spin what should have been a solemn event & turn it into political fodder for their membership...

Had Arpey been present, he would have been accused of turning the dedication into a photo op & shameless attempt to show he cares about employees.

The organizers, Valerie and Dean Thompson (she is an AA flight attendant) wanted to have some sort of memorial, and they arranged to have land donated from the city of Grapevine. They probably stuck with DFW because they are local.

It is a very tasteful statue and it is right on the corner of a major road, so it will get lots of traffic.

If anyone who lives in the area has the time, it's worth a visit.

As bad as things are now, I don't think anyone would consider it a shameless photo-op., even with AA executives present. 9/11 will forever be etched in Americans' minds old enough to remember that day. Nothing would have been gained by at least one AA representative except a day of remembrance. I saw the twin towers burning quite clearly that day from JFK.
After all only two airlines, AA and UAL were the only unknowing participants that day.

Nothing would have been gained by at least one AA representative except a day of remembrance

Well, from the reports I've read, there were several AA management representatives present, Hopeful. Frizzel (VP of corp comm) and at least one of the DFW chief pilots were there, and I'm sure there were others present who didn't get any credit because they weren't recognized or weren't in the Flight Department.....

Well, from the reports I've read, there were several AA management representatives present, Hopeful. Frizzel (VP of corp comm) and at least one of the DFW chief pilots were there, and I'm sure there were others present who didn't get any credit because they weren't recognized or weren't in the Flight Department.....

My point is that it was day of remembrance, plain and simple,,,I don't think anyone was looking for credit of any sort,,even an exec or two...

Agree completely that it was supposed to be a day of remembrance.

Perhaps you can explain the purpose of someone from APA taking roll-call of who wasn't there? Using the dead in order to advance an unrelated political purpose isn't any more excusable in my book than it is for people to show up at someone's funeral for the publicity.

Agree completely that it was supposed to be a day of remembrance.

Perhaps you can explain the purpose of someone from APA taking roll-call of who wasn't there? Using the dead in order to advance an unrelated political purpose isn't any more excusable in my book than it is for people to show up at someone's funeral for the publicity.
I am not familiar with what you are referring to...