AMR Mis Managment

AA-MRO.COM

Senior
Mar 12, 2012
At the heart of Delta's older fleet strategy is its 2.7 million-square-foot complex of maintenance hangars and shops at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, part of a unit that employs 10,000 people across the country. Delta TechOps, as the unit is called, can repair engines, paint aircraft, modify airplanes and overhaul landing gear. Last year, the profitable unit racked up $650 million in revenue, up from $25 million in 1995. Clients include the U.S. military, aircraft leasing companies and domestic and overseas carriers.

full story
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-flies-route-profits-older-034100418.html

Yet DL outsources most of their overhaul.

And the latest AMT hires are not DL employees but DGS.

Yet DL outsources most of their overhaul.

And the latest AMT hires are not DL employees but DGS.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

But as usual, you can't admit the truth because DL Tech Ops employees have chosen to not inject unions into their strategy.

According to the most recent data from the DOT, DL outsources less than 40% of its total maintenance spend.... but then turns around and insources the equivalent of 25% of its maintenance spend. So, DL's NET outsourcing is actually 15%, by far the lowest percentage of outsourcing in the western hemisphere.

But you want to pretend that insourcing doesn't exist.. .but to the thousands of DL mechanics who are employed because of DL's insourcing strategy, insourcing keeps jobs at DL that other airlines have outsourced to other companies without replacing.

You also want to conveniently define "maintenance" just as airframe overhauls since that would be the only category that you would have a chance of arguing that DL outsources... but you don't ever bother to note the qualifiers in your statement because if you did, anyone would realize that DL Tech Ops really has the lowest level of outsourcing in the US and western hemisphere industry.

Now that AA has started its layoff policy, DL Tech Ops is the largest airline MRO in the western hemisphere with 10,000 employees.
And the vast majority of those employees are Delta Air Lines employees, not DGS employees. DL has no policy or practice of hiring only DGS employees.
It is hard to know where AA will end up and we can all hope they keep their historic high levels of in-house maintenance but everything says they are falling the UA and US models for maintenance and not the DL model, despite the fact that AA did have a fairly large insourcing operation at one time.

The Wall Street Journal got it right...

"At the heart of Delta's older fleet strategy is its 2.7 million-square-foot complex of maintenance hangars and shops at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, part of a unit that employs 10,000 people across the country. Delta TechOps, as the unit is called, can repair engines, paint aircraft, modify airplanes and overhaul landing gear. Last year, the profitable unit racked up $650 million in revenue, up from $25 million in 1995. Clients include the U.S. military, aircraft leasing companies and domestic and overseas carriers.
With its mechanics having 19 years of experience on average, Delta believes it has the built-in expertise to cosset its older birds. Doug Worley, a 23-year Delta mechanic in Atlanta, works on all variety of the carrier's domestic aircraft. The McDonnell Douglas planes like the DC-9s and MD-90s are "workhorses," he says. "They're pretty reliable."

I am not talking money I am talking Airframes.

747s, 767, 777s, A330s, outsourced.

I don't really care what airplane models you list, the simple fact is that DL outsources less maintenance than any other airline except for AA. Based on the latest DOT data, DL outsources about 35% of its total maintenance spend compared to about 25% for AA; WN, US, and UA are all at or above 50%.

When you can get past the notion that airframe is the only part of maintenance, then we can have a conversation. For now, you are locked in a microcosm of reality that only supports your view of the world.

I don't really care what airplane models you list, the simple fact is that DL outsources less maintenance than any other airline except for AA. Based on the latest DOT data, DL outsources about 35% of its total maintenance spend compared to about 25% for AA; WN, US, and UA are all at or above 50%.

When you can get past the notion that airframe is the only part of maintenance, then we can have a conversation. For now, you are locked in a microcosm of reality that only supports your view of the world.

Delta is also very active about getting in to the MRO market and developing their aircraft maintenance group as an FOR profit business. This has been a Delta strategy for years.

How many times do I have to explain this I am not talking about money I am talking about actual airplanes.

you can say it as many times as you want... but the standard for measuring the value of work is in money.

It is precisely because you continue to fight against concepts that are the standard for the way the world works that your arguments are meaningless.

And you still can't grasp the concept that DL insources work that offsets a huge amount of the work that is outsourced.

Within a year or two when AA's maintenance outsourcing is in place, DL will have the highest amount of in-house maintenance, regardless of the measure that is used.

you can say it as many times as you want... but the standard for measuring the value of work is in money.

It is precisely because you continue to fight against concepts that are the standard for the way the world works that your arguments are meaningless.

And you still can't grasp the concept that DL insources work that offsets a huge amount of the work that is outsourced.

Within a year or two when AA's maintenance outsourcing is in place, DL will have the highest amount of in-house maintenance, regardless of the measure that is used.
Who are these DGS people and how many are they?
How much of this maintenance is done by DGS employees and how much by Delta mechanics?
Do DGS employees work beside Delta mechanics?

SOME OF DELTA'S CLIENTS ARE OVER SEAS AIRLINES, GOL AIR MILITARY AIRCRAFT TOO ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE THAT WAS POSTED REGARDING DELTA OLD AIRCRAFT

Delta "Global" is exactly what they are! My father worked for them in the late 90's until early 2K and was in Moscow working the line on Aeroflot 767's..More recently he is working in ATL at Delta's base when they have contract work, when they have no work he gets laid off then called back as needed. Most he works with are retired DL or guys that were laid off during bankruptcy and some contract labor, earns 30+ hr with absolutely no benefits.. They work anything in the hangar and alongside DL techs at times..DL rarely hires new techs and usually for the line if I am not mistaken..I have no idea how many techs DL employs or how many DGS has at any given time..

Good business for a company focused on making money but not so good for someone looking for a career!!

http://www.dalgs.com/

Why is this even on the AA board? Now we will be reading 15 paragraph responses that have nothing to do with AA....

Back