Amr Outsourcing

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Associated Press
American Adds to Its Work Force in Mexico
Friday February 27, 5:19 pm ET
By Brad Foss, AP Business Writer
American Airline's Customer Service Work Force Grows in Mexico, Shrinks in U.S.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- American Airlines is adding to its work force in Mexico and rerouting calls there that were formerly handled by domestic customer service representatives -- even as it has been cutting similar jobs in the United States.
ADVERTISEMENT

Since last spring, AMR Corp., the carrier's parent company, has hired about 130 reservation agents in Mexico to handle calls from Spanish-speaking customers in the United States and Latin America, the company acknowledged Friday.

Meanwhile, AMR recently informed about 100 workers at a call center in Puerto Rico that the San Juan office would be shut down this spring. In the past year, AMR also has closed reservation offices in Las Vegas, Norfolk, Va., and St. Louis, which together had employed about 1,400 people.

Contacted by The Associated Press earlier in the week about a general increase in industry jobs being sent overseas, AMR said calls from the United States were not being rerouted to other countries.

AMR said Friday that it unintentionally misspoke at the time, but that the growth of its Mexico operations has not come at the expense of U.S. workers.

United Airlines said this week it had signed a contract with Electronic Data Systems to open a customer call center in Nova Scotia that will eventually employ 200. A spokeswoman said it was the first time United would outsource such work. Travelocity, the online travel site owned by Sabre Inc., said this month that it will outsource about 300 jobs to India over the next year. Delta Air Lines outsourced nearly 1,000 jobs last year to call centers in India.

AMR's decision to hire more Mexican workers is one example of how the world's largest carrier is cutting costs at a time when the industry is losing money. The Fort Worth, Texas-based airline lost $111 million in the last three months of 2003.

A full-time worker in Mexico gets paid about $400 a month, about one quarter what new hires in the United States would make, said Mike Lo Vuolo, an official with the Fort Worth, Texas, office of the Communications Workers of America.

The CWA is trying to unionize AMR's reservation agents, one of only two groups of AMR workers not represented by organized labor.

By rerouting calls once handled by Spanish-speaking and bilingual Americans to Mexico, AMR is turning its back on the domestic work force, particularly people who were furloughed after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Lo Vuolo said.

"They've still got American employees that were furloughed and have recall rights," Lo Vuolo said. "There are still people here that could be handling calls that they're rerouting elsewhere."

AMR spokesman Carlo Bertolini, however, said the newly hired bilingual Mexican workers are not replacing actual jobs. Instead, employees who worked for AMR's now-defunct U.S.-based "Spanish desk" have merely seen their job responsibilities change.

"The people who did handle (Spanish language) calls in the U.S. were already doing other functions as well," Bertolini said. "That wasn't their sole job."

AMR's call center in Mexico City employs 290 people and also handles calls from Mexico, Spain and several Latin American countries. Latin America is AMR's largest international market.

www.aa.com

Email this story - Set a News Alert

The TWU has allowed AMR to outsource our avionics work to MATSUSHITA(MAS) on the entertainment systems of our 777's and newer 767's. The TWU has also allowed AA aircraft to overhauled at AAR while we still have thousands of AA mechanics on the street. The AFW APU shop was completely outsourced under the TWU's watch 10 years ago.

Last week on the local news former Senator David Boren joined 2 AA officials
and one local union president,announcing the 737 work at the Tulsa base.

One of the things Senator Boren talked about was the subject of keeping work
in the United States. I can’t remember his exact words, but he did talk about
how much better it is to keep the maintenance of Aircraft, in the United States.
To keep the jobs here was safer for the flying public.
(my words not his)

Now, the news story posted by “Hopefulâ€￾ is something I missed. Thanks for
posting it “Hopeful.â€￾

Isn’t Mr. Boren on the American Airlines Board of Directors, It was just last
week that he talked about keeping work in the U.S. Isn’t he a powerful man?
Isn’t he a former powerful Democrat Senator? Wasn’t he supportive of the
working Man?( don’t get me wrong, rich, poor or in the middle, we are all
working Men and Women) Didn’t the AFL-CIO campaign for and Donate to
Mr. Boren’s party when he was in office? Did Mr. Boren even attempt to appose
the loss of call center jobs?

Money talks, Stock options in the hundreds of thousands talk. I’m very disappointed that I see such a contrast between last weeks proud announcement and what I see today. It’s a damn shame that 200
cheap labor jobs have more stroke with Washington D.C. and Corporations
in this country than the people, that work here, pay taxes here AND VOTE
HERE!! Does this contrast smell of hypocrisy or what?

Why are all the call center jobs going over seas? Run the numbers guys and
gals. When a corporation can pay $400 a month in Mexico and not pay $1600
a month in the U.S.A. they can put an additional $2,284,000.00 in the
Corporations pocket, per month, and only employ 290 people to do it.

Wait till the Mexican Worker Organizes. (If the oppressive Mexico Gov.
will allow it) Wait till they realize an advantage is being used and it’s not theirs.
Then they will lose their job to someone in Ho Chi Min City, Viet Nam or who
knows where?

It sickens me to see these jobs go. We the workers of the United States are
are killing our own future. We shop at places like Walmart and don’t realize
we are ( as was said in a recent financial magazine) “bargain shopping our way to the Unemployment line.â€￾ (or words to that effect) Note 1

Something has to give, I’m sick of watching our wealth and technology
transferred to people and countries that did not earn it or design it. Just to
keep them friendly to the US.

We worry about security in this country now more than ever. Has anyone
in D.C. or Dallas thought about how easy it is for credit cards information to be used in foreign hands? No one in power will make a move to stop such an event
until it take a big bite out of the financial power pockets.

Sorry for the rant, but enough is enough!

Note 1: You can find the article about “Bargain shopping our way to the
unemployment lineâ€￾ just type the quote into a search engine. Or “ a gallon of
pickles for under $3 dollars.â€￾
:rant:

Aside from the fact that outsourcing in general is bad enough for the working person, we have only thought of outsourcing maintenance. It goes to show that noone is exempt from outsourcing except upper management!

Back